A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 299,128
Currently Running With Scissors:
441 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sewing Machines: READ BEFORE POSTING ANY QUESTIONS ON SEWING MACHINES!  (Read 7335 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

wordie
« on: November 15, 2003 02:30:11 PM »

yesterday, i bought a singer stylist 457 at goodwill for cheap. it seems to be in good condition and have all its parts, but i am having a problem that makes me feel ridiculously incompetent. can anyone help?

here's the problem: i *cannot* raise the bobbin thread for the life of me. this is a top-loading bobbin, and i've only used side bobbins before, so it's possible i'm doing something wrong.

in the manual, following the instructions for threading the bobbin case have the thread nowhere near the needle area. how is it supposed to make a loop? it is counterintuitive to the extreme.

i've been googling this for an hour and found people with the same problem but no useful answers. any suggestions would be *greatly* appreciated. i'm going mad!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Debzy

I'm a Scouser!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2003 12:21:40 PM »

hi wordie!

i work for a sewing machine company, so i hope i can help.

first off, when you say top-loading, do you mean you just have the bobbin (no case) and it just drops in underneath the needle?

if you have a pic that'd be great  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.
-George Bernard Shaw
teamboom
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2004 08:07:36 PM »

I am new. My mum told my aunt that I had begun to craft and stuff (knitting, making cards and other silly things) and my aunt decided to donate me her old sewing machine since she doesn't use it anymore.

It didn't come with a manual. I don't remember *a thing* from sewing class back in the day.
ANYONE CARE TO HELP ME?
ie - I don't know how to thread the sewing machine nor do I know what the hell the bobbin is really for. The bobbin is a side one and the sewing machine is an old one.
Bernina (i think) - bernette 715 is the model.

I am confused. and helpless.
I am whimpering right now.

PLEASE! HELP ME! I BEG OF YOU!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CrazeeMoi
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2004 08:46:13 PM »

This is the Bernia site.... maybe you can contact them and ask for a manual for your machine.
http://www.berninausa.com/home.jsp
THIS ROCKS   Logged
teamboom
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2004 09:02:45 PM »

Thanks.
I went to it and I emailed the Canada people - it's a really old model and I don't think they make it anymore so I don't know if a manual will exist.

Do you think theres a chance? Or a chance that they'll even reply to lil ol' three chord me?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mari_meow_meow
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2004 11:47:36 PM »

i found this auction at ebay for all the bernette models manual::
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3265353977&category=605

assuming the manufactur does not have a copy. hope this helps!!
good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
goodgirl

A good idea today beats a perfecct one tomorrow.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2004 12:01:35 PM »

if you really can't figure it out, and you can't get a manual for it, then i'd suggest looking at another machine (any type, really) as a reference or taking it into a shop and having them show you.

the older machines really don't differ all that much-- and once you get familliar with threading the whole thing (bobbin included) you should be able to experiment and figure out at least enough to do simple sewing.

by the way-bernina is a great make! imo hey are one of the best machines out there! i hope you two are very happy together.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

GOOD! | For lovely living | www.good-studio.com
teamboom
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2004 07:23:32 PM »

Thanks for all the help!

Goodness everyone's nice here.

I'm very glad to hear that the brand is up to par...we weren't very sure but it was free so yea.

thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mo11ydo11
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2004 10:51:04 PM »

So, recently I have been having a lot of trouble with my sewing machine.  Don't get me wrong, it's a great machine and I love it dearly - but I'm afraid the time has come to replace it (it's about 20 years old)!  I don't know much about shopping for sewing machines, as I've never really been in the market  - so I'd appreciate any advice.  Any specific brands to look for or avoid?   If anyone has bought a machine lately and been really happy (or unhappy) with it, I'd love to hear!  Also - any features that might not seem like a necessity, but you have found to be really handy or cool?  

thank you so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Debzy

I'm a Scouser!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2004 06:44:33 AM »

i work with sewing machines for a living so if i can help you i'll try my best!

first off, what's your budget? you should always buy the most expensive you can afford. it really will be an investment.

'drop-in' bobbins are nicer to use than 'bobbin and case' types. they tend to tangle less.

if you can stretch to a computerised machine, they really are amazing to use... they have loads of features that make projects so much easier...

i would defo recommend you buy from somewhere that has good after sales service. catalgues and discount stores may be cheaper but there's not usually someone you can go back to if you have a problem or question.

if you have any specific questions let me know and i'll try my best to answer  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.
-George Bernard Shaw
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Five Essential Make-Up Items, from Katia Beauchamp
The Next Big Make-Up Trend, from Katia Beauchamp
Tips For Dry And Sensitive Skin In The Winter, from Katia Beauchamp
A Trick To Making Your Eye Shadow Pop
Tips For Dry And Chapped Lips
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...