A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,451
Currently Running With Scissors:
457 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: SHAUN OF THE DEAD!!!  (Read 12328 times)
Tags for this thread: shaun_of_the_dead  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jojo9

meet my charming friend, the monkey gentleman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2005 12:23:56 PM »

That is amazing, looks exactly like Simon Pegg!  I love Shaun of the Dead and I love Spaced- if you've not seen it (it was a show on Channel 4 on the UK about 5 years ago) then you should try and see it!

Again, that is AMAZING!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HappyMadison87
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2005 12:40:29 PM »

I LOOOOOOOOOVE SPACED!!!!!!!  LOVE IT!!!!! LOL It's one of the awesomest shows in the history of anything ever!! I was thinking about making a figurine of Daisy if I can figure out how to make long hair...I guess baking it in sections would be the best way to do that, right? Because with long hair, there'll be a hollow bit between the neck/shoulders and the hair that I would have a hell of a time sanding.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jojo9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2005 12:47:22 PM »

Oh!  A Daisy would be great! You could do a little Colin dog to go with her. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2005 11:25:33 AM »

[quote}. . .a figurine of Daisy if I can figure out how to make long hair ...I guess baking it in sections would be the best way to do that, right? Because with long hair, there'll be a hollow bit between the neck/shoulders and the hair that I would have a hell of a time sanding. . . [/quote]

Hmmmm.... why is it that you'd need to sand the clay hair?? Not sure I understand.

Also not sure why you'd need a space between the hair and the neck-shoulders, unless you really just wanted it to be there.  Most times polymer clay "extensions" like that are just placed next to the body . . . or an armature is used under projecting parts, if needed (...certainly with weak Sculpey clays you'd want to do that for any projections you had... or you could make the hair out of a stronger brand of polymer clay like Premo or Fimo).  If you wanted to use an armature, just a bit of carstock (coated with white glue and allowed to get tacky) or wire mesh could work.  At any rate, you'd probably have a hard time making the whole hair entirely separate then placing it around the head since it won't stretch... could use a flexible polymer clay for a wig though??   I guess you could make the hair in several sections, bake, then glue them on, but not sure how easy that would be.

You might also want to check out the section on making hair at this page of my site for more on some of this:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/sculpting_body_and_tools.htm
(....click on the subcategory Hair, then look at the sections on "clay hair"...)

You might want instead to add some kind of fake hair material... it comes in lots of types and textures.  These can be glued on to baked polymer heads, or bunches of strands at a time can be implanted into the raw clay of the scalp, then baked.

Diane B. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
HappyMadison87
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2005 12:36:18 PM »

Diane, what I mean is this:

The green part would be her hair, but the orange part would be the 'problem' area...the part between the underside of her hair and the sides of her neck and top of shoulders. I'm probably making a bigger deal of that than necessary...but with Shaun, I had a lot of trouble smoothing out the parts behind his tie and around his shirt collar, because it was too difficult to smooth them with a tool or my fingers, and then once baked, it was even harder to sand.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

decibel
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2005 07:58:41 AM »

That is amazing, looks exactly like Simon Pegg!  I love Shaun of the Dead and I love Spaced- if you've not seen it (it was a show on Channel 4 on the UK about 5 years ago) then you should try and see it!
Again, that is AMAZING!

I LOOOOOOOOOVE SPACED!!!!!!!  LOVE IT!!!!! LOL It's one of the awesomest shows in the history of anything ever!! I was thinking about making a figurine of Daisy if I can figure out how to make long hair...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAh! I just got the whole Spaced series (plus behind the scenes stuff) a couple weeks ago, and I've been through it twice.
 I too LOVE it to death! It is the greatest show ever. Besides Seinfeld maybe. And Little Britain.

A Spaced swap maybe!?

Oh, yeah - again: amazing work on mr Pegg! Wink

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2005 09:44:56 AM »

Thanks for the graphic!... wish I could do that.

So, you don't want to just press that area to the neck, and you're worried about the clay having a rough surface under there, is that right?

It shouldn't be hard at all to smooth out that area before baking (though I'm not sure it would show that much anyway).  . . . Are you concerned that it would actually be "rough," or just out of shape , btw?

Check out these sections at my website for loads of tips though on smoothing clay:

http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/sculpture.htm > "Smoothing & Fingerprints"

http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/sanding_tumbling.htm >"Smoothing Before Sanding"

Then, if none of that addresses what you're talking about, please try explaining just a bit more so I can get my head around it!

Just thought of something else. . . .are you trying to "sand" the baked clay where it might be rough, as opposed to getting it smooth before baking it??  If so, although it's best to do as much as possible before curing, there are also tiny little sanding tools you can buy or make for cramped areas like that (look on the Sanding page listed above for those).

Diane B.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2005 09:47:25 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
jojo9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2005 12:48:43 AM »

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAh! I just got the whole Spaced series (plus behind the scenes stuff) a couple weeks ago, and I've been through it twice.
 I too LOVE it to death! It is the greatest show ever. Besides Seinfeld maybe. And Little Britain.

A Spaced swap maybe!?

Oh, yeah - again: amazing work on mr Pegg! Wink

A Spaced swap!  now there's an idea
THIS ROCKS   Logged

look_closer
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2005 01:26:35 PM »

Dude that is so awesome!! Nice job  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fiona Fiona
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2005 09:37:08 AM »

This is soooo amazing! My brother was Shaun for Halloween. Oh, I'm so inspired now, I should make him some Shaun or Spaced stuff for Christmas!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I still believe, in spite of everything, that people are truly good at heart."
Anne Frank
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
3 Top Healthy Chicken Nugget Brands For Kids
3 Easy, Healthy Ways to Make Chicken Salad
Five Things You Should Absolutely Never Eat
Healthy Homemade Meals in the Microwave
How to Pick a Ripe Cantaloupe
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...