A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,461
Currently Running With Scissors:
640 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crockpot/slow cooker recipes  (Read 1801 times)
Tags for this thread: crockpot  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sibee
« on: September 12, 2005 03:37:34 PM »

I was cleaning out my cupboards the other day and found a crockpot I forgot I even owned!  Since I'm trying to break the habit of eating cereal for dinner, I was wondering if anyone had any good crockpot recipes.  I do have an ancient crockpot cookbook, but almost all the recipes call for canned cheese....including a recipe for squirrel meat, which isn't really my thing.  I eat meat, but would love some healthy veggies recipes.  Any suggestions?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
miyoko79

Sigh...it's too true.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2005 03:53:37 PM »

Not a recipe, but Banquet makes frozen Crockpot dinners...just throw them in the crockpot in the morning, and dinner's ready when you get home!  I haven't tried them yet, but am intending to soon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It turns out they do make hats in my size. They are called "BUCKETS" and they sell them at the hardware store."
Ezri_B
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2005 07:27:27 AM »

I don't know how healthy anything is that I make, but a few of my favorite recipes for the crockpot.

Black Bean soup
1 bag Dry black beans rinsed and pebbles (if any) removed
1 small onion chopped
1 jalapeno pepper chopped (if you don't like it spicy remove the seeds and veins)
1/4 red bell pepper seeded and chopped
1 quart chicken/vegetable stock
1/4 cup salsa
1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
Handful of chopped fresh cilantro
queso fresco or other cheese for topping

Put beans in slow cooker night before with 5-6 cups water (must cover beans fully) cook over night on low. In morning drain beans & rinse. Put beans back into the slow cooker add all ingredients except cheese and cilantro. Cook all day on medium to low heat. Be sure that liquid covers all beans and such (at least 5 hours) Be sure beans are nice and tender. If you want it a little thicker, puree/mash part of the soup mixture. Add cilantro, cook another 10 minutes or so. Serve in bowls topping it with the cheese if desired. (You may need salt, but some salsas and chicken broths are really salty so taste first.)
This makes a really big batch

Beef Roast with vegetables
  The numbers for this are vague, because all slow cookers and families are different sizes. You don't want to pack the food in too tight, and balance how many vegetables and such you want.
Beef roast whatever size fits and is the right size for your family
Potatoes - I use about 3-4 cut in at least quarters
Carrots baby or regular cut in thick pieces
1 can of condensed beef vegetable soup (I like campbells) undiluted
Bay leaf if you want
Ground black pepper

In the slowcooker lightly brown the outside of the meat (High with the cover off usually works) Turning until it is all lightly brown. Add all of the rest of the ingredients around the roast. Topping the whole thing with the soup and the bay leaf on top. You may want to add a little water.
Cook on  medium heat for 6-8 hours. Be sure meat is done in center before serving (Check it every few hours the first time you make it so that you know if you need to add more liquid at all)

THIS ROCKS   Logged

sibee
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2005 10:26:14 AM »

Ezri-
That Black Bean soup sounds so deliciously good.  I can't wait to try it.  Thanks for the recipes!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kibblesandknits

My LYS is located at the back of my bedroom closet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2005 09:52:34 AM »

I convinced my husband a few weeks ago that we must ABSOLUTELY invest in a crock pot, after hearing about the convenient pleasures of owning one from a friend of mine.  We got a tiny little 2 qt one, and it ended up in "the closet" along with other kitchen sort of appliance gadgets I've acquired over the past while through my impulsive ways.

The night before last we got some pork side ribs from the grocery store on sale and I cut the rack into 3 pieces.  I tossed them into my crock pot, dumped in some Diane's honey garlic bbq sauce along with some sauteed red onions and garlic and put it into the fridge, covered up to marinate over night.  The next morning before I headed out for work, I plugged in my trusty little pot and when I came home OMG - everything was just falling off the bones.

You guys have to try this out.  I know the orignal poster asked for veggie recipes....but mmmmm ribs.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

schmitaa
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2005 10:04:17 AM »

This one has chicken in it, but it would still be good if you skipped it.  I love this stuff (chicken stew??) and it's pretty healthy.
1 lb. Boneless Skinless Uncooked Chicken Breasts, cubed
1 (14. oz.) Can Italian Diced Tomatoes, undrained
2 Medium Potatoes, peeled and cut into small cubes
2 Cups Carrots, chopped
3 Celery Ribs, Chopped
1/2 Onion, chopped
1 Medium Green Pepper, chopped
1 teaspoon Chili Powder
1/4 teaspoon Pepper
2 Cups Cold Chicken Broth
1 1/2 cup rice
Put everything except rice in your crockpot on low 8-10 hours or high 5-7 hours.  10 minutes before serving, turn off heat and pour in rice.  Serve when rice is tender. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
laureg

*alchemist extraordinaire*

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2005 10:12:47 AM »

there are so many delicious crock-pot recipes on the web, it isn't even funny. hoardes and hoardes of them!

i have one of those little dipper crockpots (freebie wheni purchased a big crockpot! yay!) and it is wonderful for chocolate fondues!

i add in 1 and 1 milk chocolate bar, heavy cream, a bit of whole milk, a slug of vanilla and a slug of bailey's irish cream. holy dinah, it's seriously some of the best stuff i've ever had. and the crockpot keeps it all nice and warm and gooey. mmmm

we also had a crockpot lunch at work where a few people brought in big crockpots full of soup. just about anything you put in a crockpot turns out well!

happy experimenting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

you are not the boss of me
PlayItGeorge
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2005 10:36:22 AM »

Oh man I LOVE my crockpot.  You can make pretty much any soup in a crockpot it seems unless it's roux-based.  I make chili in mine often, or chicken, or pulled pork...yum...I will have to get out my crockpot once Thanksgiving's over.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

8littlepaws.wordpress.com
wittyandcreativex
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2005 06:08:52 PM »

all of these sound so yummy!

especially the recipe that calls for squirrel meat.... (sarcasm)

mm. now i cant wait to get out my crockpot and start the cookin.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

oh my squash!
SparroWinter
Androgynous scarf-knitter

Always twirling twirling twirling towards freedom.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2005 05:35:58 PM »

My father used to make a fantastic and delicious bread pudding in the crockpot . . . I seem to remember that all he did was throw cubed bread in there, with a bunch of chocolate chips, but don't quote me on that. I can't seem to prise the recipe from him anymore . . . :9 Shame, 'cause I really want that stuff again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Projects in Progress - Branching Out scarf
 - Numerous knitted blanket squares

Just Finished - Midnight scarf
 - Falliage scarf
 - Basketweave Baby Blanket
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Design a Cartoon Boy
How to Design Cartoons Online
How to Design Anime Heads
How to Write in a Beautiful Way
How to Draw a Ladybird
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...