A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,587
Currently Running With Scissors:
596 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Look for a salwar kameez pattern.. anyone?  (Read 7419 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bkqueen
« on: September 09, 2005 11:37:35 PM »

H all,
have a function to go to where I have been asked to wear a salwar kameez, i would love to make one, but don't have any ideas..(probably should since I lived with an Indian family for a year, and have Indian relatives.. but hey.. it takes me a while to catch on..haha)

It doesn't seem that it would be that hard, the pants, do they have have a zipper? buttons? or just pull on? If pull on, are they elastic or tie?? The top i think I can do, or can get my mom to explain to me, but I dont know what the pants should be made of..

and what kinds of material? The top i know is lined, but are the pants lined too? Do I use the same lining and outer fabric for both?

yikes..
any direction would be great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
loobyloo
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2005 04:37:36 PM »

You might need two patterns, one for loose pants, like pajama pants, and a tunic style top. You can get them in many styles from basic everyday wear, to more dressy special occasions. The best thing would be to have a look around, either in stores or on the net and find something you like and copy it.
Although, almost all of the Indian and Pakistani girls I know have theirs made by someone in their family, so maybe you could ask one of your 'contacts' for a pattern.
Flowy, drapey fabrics are best so crepes and sliks are good, as are embelishments and details. And don't forget a beautiful scarf or wrap.
Have fun and be sure to post pics of what you come up with.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mmd32
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2005 05:41:52 AM »

Folkwear Patterns are amazing for this kind of stuff...the salwar kameez is #135 Jewels of India:

http://www.folkwear.com/asian.html

Main page:

http://www.folkwear.com/

HTH!

Murali
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bkqueen
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2005 06:13:17 AM »

thanks so much! haha I found folkwear just about an hour before I read you rmessage! lol

THIS ROCKS   Logged
dia
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2005 08:14:38 AM »

ok, a pakistani here, hope i can help

its up to u whether u like a zipper or hooks in ur pants/shalwar. we usually have a panel for the elastic in our pants so its kinda easy for pulling it on n off.

the kameez is very simple, its never lined n neither is the pant lined. we use cotton, linen, silk etc. in making these. (sorry my english isn't so good)

pathetically i don't sew mine, i get them made by my cousin. if i get them cut out; then its pretty easy in sewing them together. i suck at cutting or is it drafting?? dunno.

my sis is in designing n dress making. she is willing to share her patterns. what do u think? do u need them still? hope i ain't too late.

a few pics 4 ur help   Smiley

« Last Edit: January 02, 2010 10:27:32 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

When you are feeling stressed and about to breakdown, just remember: STRESSED is just DESSERTS spelled backwards... Its a piece of cake!
bkqueen
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2005 08:41:12 AM »

Those are absolutely gorgeous, but the middle one is absolutely insanely gorgeous..
I would definately be interested in the patterns, but I will contact you in a few weeks or so about it, I am having a hard enough time(ok.. impossible actually, i had to borrow 300$ from my fiance) paying for my books, let alone patterns! hehe but i am definately interested so let me know.

ps-your english is fine! I didn't even realize it wasn't your first language! lol..When i try and type or write in another language.. it is VERY obvious! lol
I agree, I  find the sewing part fairly simple.. its the pattern making and cutting it right that i find imposible! yowza
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dia
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2005 11:31:18 PM »

ps-your english is fine! I didn't even realize it wasn't your first language! lol..When i try and type or write in another language.. it is VERY obvious! lol

geez, thanks.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

When you are feeling stressed and about to breakdown, just remember: STRESSED is just DESSERTS spelled backwards... Its a piece of cake!
dia
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2005 06:26:34 AM »

sorry for late reply, hope it isn't too late. well, here i go.

Ud need a measuring tape, any t-shirt that fits u well, a marking pen n of course the fabric on which u gonna work. Smiley

Take a spare piece of fabric wide n long enough to make ur kameez. Fold it in half lengthwise n then again widthwise (the selvedges would at ur right and at the bottom) hope u understand.

Note: add seam allowances in all ur measurements. +++ signs show where the fabric is folded.

First ull mark the neckline. Its usually 2.5 x 2.5. Join them by a curve. (see the neckline in pic)

1* Now take ur measuring tape and measure ur t-shirt across the back (from shoulder to shoulder). This is ur across back measurement, supposing 14. Halve the measurement n mark the fabric at 7. (see 1 in the pic) Join the neckline n the shoulder with a diagonal line.

2* Now measure the armhole of ur t-shirt by placing ur tapes end at the shoulder seam n the other end at the armpit seam. Itd probably be 8. Place the tape diagonally on ur fabric n mark 8. (see 2 in pic)

3* Now take ur bust measurement. Say its 17. Mark it in a way that the armhole measurement n the bust measurement meet at a point. Got that. {I suck at explaining stuffs  : /  } Now draw the armhole curve.

4* Now measure down 4.

5* Now take ur waist measurement. (measuring ur t-shirt as u go)

6* This is ur hip measurement, mark it on the fabric, just the half.

7* Measure how much u want ur kameez front wide, got that?? Halve it n mark it on the fabric. Now join the four of them (orange part in pic) with a straight line. (re-mark the entire outline darkly so that the ink seeps thro n u have an outline on the other side too)

Now using ur scissors cut the green part only. Now separate the above n below fabric. U have the front n back of the kameez. Take the front, mark two inches n cut the neckline deeper. Cut the armhole too a bit as shown in the pic.

Lay both the front n back over each other right sides facing. U can now see the entire outline of the kameez. Sew the shoulders in place. Now start from the arm pits down smoothly joining the waist with a slight curve down till the hips (the pink part in the pic). Stop here n go back a few inches. The part down the hips is open. Fold over the side slits twice inwards n stitch them down. Trim off excess fabric. U can use piping on the neckline.

For the sleeves, ud take two big piece of fabric, wider than ur armpit measurement n long enough depending on the length u prefer, fold it in half n draw a figure like shown in the pic. A* is the armpit measurement. Ud start with a slight curve outwards n then a slight curve inwards. Now cut the green part only. Then separate the two sleeves n cut ONLY the front parts of both sleeves slightly deeper. Sew the pink part of the sleeves, trim the excess n then sew it to the kameez. Phew!!

TUT TWO: u could just place ur best fitting shirt over ur desired fabric n mark the entire outline n sew as I have said above. At least, here u wont need to fumble with the measuring tape. Lol.

I hope this is comprehensible. If u still have any prob, feel free to ask. Cheers.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012 11:27:51 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

wifeofbath

Tiber Swim Team

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2005 09:57:59 AM »

Dia, thanks for sharing that.

In the town I lived in before I moved here, there was a small population of Indian families, and when I was out shopping I would see women wearing salwar kameez. They always looked so pretty and feminine!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"An old cloak makes a new jerkin..." (Wm Shakespeare, recycling and DIY enthusiast)
dia
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2005 12:27:02 AM »

ur welcome, wifeofbath. yup, they do look feminine n pretty, esp when u add lace, beads n stuffs lke that. : )

i'm just worried where bkqueen is. i made it for her. maybe she didn't like it that she didn't reply. dunno. *sigh*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Turn Color Photos Into Stunning Black and White Photos
Infrared Photography: How to Choose Filters
Photography Tips for Shooting a First Birthday Celebration
White Balance Photography and Post Production Tips
DSLR Cameras: Using the Live View Function
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...