A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,508
Currently Running With Scissors:
574 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Look for a salwar kameez pattern.. anyone?  (Read 10477 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bkqueen
« on: September 09, 2005 11:37:35 PM »

H all,
have a function to go to where I have been asked to wear a salwar kameez, i would love to make one, but don't have any ideas..(probably should since I lived with an Indian family for a year, and have Indian relatives.. but hey.. it takes me a while to catch on..haha)

It doesn't seem that it would be that hard, the pants, do they have have a zipper? buttons? or just pull on? If pull on, are they elastic or tie?? The top i think I can do, or can get my mom to explain to me, but I dont know what the pants should be made of..

and what kinds of material? The top i know is lined, but are the pants lined too? Do I use the same lining and outer fabric for both?

yikes..
any direction would be great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
loobyloo
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2005 04:37:36 PM »

You might need two patterns, one for loose pants, like pajama pants, and a tunic style top. You can get them in many styles from basic everyday wear, to more dressy special occasions. The best thing would be to have a look around, either in stores or on the net and find something you like and copy it.
Although, almost all of the Indian and Pakistani girls I know have theirs made by someone in their family, so maybe you could ask one of your 'contacts' for a pattern.
Flowy, drapey fabrics are best so crepes and sliks are good, as are embelishments and details. And don't forget a beautiful scarf or wrap.
Have fun and be sure to post pics of what you come up with.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mmd32
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2005 05:41:52 AM »

Folkwear Patterns are amazing for this kind of stuff...the salwar kameez is #135 Jewels of India:

http://www.folkwear.com/asian.html

Main page:

http://www.folkwear.com/

HTH!

Murali
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bkqueen
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2005 06:13:17 AM »

thanks so much! haha I found folkwear just about an hour before I read you rmessage! lol

THIS ROCKS   Logged
dia
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2005 08:14:38 AM »

ok, a pakistani here, hope i can help

its up to u whether u like a zipper or hooks in ur pants/shalwar. we usually have a panel for the elastic in our pants so its kinda easy for pulling it on n off.

the kameez is very simple, its never lined n neither is the pant lined. we use cotton, linen, silk etc. in making these. (sorry my english isn't so good)

pathetically i don't sew mine, i get them made by my cousin. if i get them cut out; then its pretty easy in sewing them together. i suck at cutting or is it drafting?? dunno.

my sis is in designing n dress making. she is willing to share her patterns. what do u think? do u need them still? hope i ain't too late.

a few pics 4 ur help   Smiley

« Last Edit: January 02, 2010 10:27:32 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

When you are feeling stressed and about to breakdown, just remember: STRESSED is just DESSERTS spelled backwards... Its a piece of cake!
bkqueen
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2005 08:41:12 AM »

Those are absolutely gorgeous, but the middle one is absolutely insanely gorgeous..
I would definately be interested in the patterns, but I will contact you in a few weeks or so about it, I am having a hard enough time(ok.. impossible actually, i had to borrow 300$ from my fiance) paying for my books, let alone patterns! hehe but i am definately interested so let me know.

ps-your english is fine! I didn't even realize it wasn't your first language! lol..When i try and type or write in another language.. it is VERY obvious! lol
I agree, I  find the sewing part fairly simple.. its the pattern making and cutting it right that i find imposible! yowza
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dia
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2005 11:31:18 PM »

ps-your english is fine! I didn't even realize it wasn't your first language! lol..When i try and type or write in another language.. it is VERY obvious! lol

geez, thanks.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

When you are feeling stressed and about to breakdown, just remember: STRESSED is just DESSERTS spelled backwards... Its a piece of cake!
dia
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2005 06:26:34 AM »

sorry for late reply, hope it isn't too late. well, here i go.

Ud need a measuring tape, any t-shirt that fits u well, a marking pen n of course the fabric on which u gonna work. Smiley

Take a spare piece of fabric wide n long enough to make ur kameez. Fold it in half lengthwise n then again widthwise (the selvedges would at ur right and at the bottom) hope u understand.

Note: add seam allowances in all ur measurements. +++ signs show where the fabric is folded.

First ull mark the neckline. Its usually 2.5 x 2.5. Join them by a curve. (see the neckline in pic)

1* Now take ur measuring tape and measure ur t-shirt across the back (from shoulder to shoulder). This is ur across back measurement, supposing 14. Halve the measurement n mark the fabric at 7. (see 1 in the pic) Join the neckline n the shoulder with a diagonal line.

2* Now measure the armhole of ur t-shirt by placing ur tapes end at the shoulder seam n the other end at the armpit seam. Itd probably be 8. Place the tape diagonally on ur fabric n mark 8. (see 2 in pic)

3* Now take ur bust measurement. Say its 17. Mark it in a way that the armhole measurement n the bust measurement meet at a point. Got that. {I suck at explaining stuffs  : /  } Now draw the armhole curve.

4* Now measure down 4.

5* Now take ur waist measurement. (measuring ur t-shirt as u go)

6* This is ur hip measurement, mark it on the fabric, just the half.

7* Measure how much u want ur kameez front wide, got that?? Halve it n mark it on the fabric. Now join the four of them (orange part in pic) with a straight line. (re-mark the entire outline darkly so that the ink seeps thro n u have an outline on the other side too)

Now using ur scissors cut the green part only. Now separate the above n below fabric. U have the front n back of the kameez. Take the front, mark two inches n cut the neckline deeper. Cut the armhole too a bit as shown in the pic.

Lay both the front n back over each other right sides facing. U can now see the entire outline of the kameez. Sew the shoulders in place. Now start from the arm pits down smoothly joining the waist with a slight curve down till the hips (the pink part in the pic). Stop here n go back a few inches. The part down the hips is open. Fold over the side slits twice inwards n stitch them down. Trim off excess fabric. U can use piping on the neckline.

For the sleeves, ud take two big piece of fabric, wider than ur armpit measurement n long enough depending on the length u prefer, fold it in half n draw a figure like shown in the pic. A* is the armpit measurement. Ud start with a slight curve outwards n then a slight curve inwards. Now cut the green part only. Then separate the two sleeves n cut ONLY the front parts of both sleeves slightly deeper. Sew the pink part of the sleeves, trim the excess n then sew it to the kameez. Phew!!

TUT TWO: u could just place ur best fitting shirt over ur desired fabric n mark the entire outline n sew as I have said above. At least, here u wont need to fumble with the measuring tape. Lol.

I hope this is comprehensible. If u still have any prob, feel free to ask. Cheers.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012 11:27:51 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

wifeofbath

Tiber Swim Team

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2005 09:57:59 AM »

Dia, thanks for sharing that.

In the town I lived in before I moved here, there was a small population of Indian families, and when I was out shopping I would see women wearing salwar kameez. They always looked so pretty and feminine!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"An old cloak makes a new jerkin..." (Wm Shakespeare, recycling and DIY enthusiast)
dia
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2005 12:27:02 AM »

ur welcome, wifeofbath. yup, they do look feminine n pretty, esp when u add lace, beads n stuffs lke that. : )

i'm just worried where bkqueen is. i made it for her. maybe she didn't like it that she didn't reply. dunno. *sigh*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Cranberry Sauce
Orange and Grilled Pork Salad
How to Make Grilled Chicken Legs with Peach Molasses
Grilled Spicy Skirt Steak
Grilled Pork Chops Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Coffee Mug Cozy
March 25, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: How to Make 110 Prayer Flags

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...