A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,889
Currently Running With Scissors:
688 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Old Sweater => Snow Bunny Set  (Read 34670 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , no_knit_scarf  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bumblev

Happy Crafting!

View Profile WWW
« on: November 14, 2003 10:24:17 AM »

I've been messing with old sweaters for the Holiday DIY zine I'm planning on sending out and figured out a really easy way of making a scarf, mittens, and headband set. Thought I would share it with all you crafty people!

Materials:
  - old sweater (I used a yummy cashmere one I found for a buck at a thrift store)
  - sewing machine
  - fleece (optional)

Instructions:
1. Throw your sweater into the washing machine for a couple cycles. Make sure that you have a sweater made mostly from wool. Look for labels that say "Handwash or dryclean only."

2. After your sweater has shrunk significantly, allow it to dry either by hanging it out or throwing it in the dryer. Felting (or is it Pulling?) is great because it fuses the individual strands of yarn together, preventing the material from unravelling.

3. Lay the sweater out flat and cut off Scarf 1 and 2 (see diagram). You can adjust the width according to taste and the amount of material you have to work with.

4. Cut one seam off of each scarf section so that you're left with two large strips of sweater. Sew these two strips (right sides facing each other) together to form your scarf. You can accent the edges or ends with pieces of fleece.

5. For the headband, all you have to do is take the lower section of the sweater that you just cut off from the scarf section and measure it around your head. Mark where the headband fits comfortably, turn inside out, and sew together. Once again you can accent with fleece.

6. Use the upper section of the sleeves for your mittens. If the space isn't wide enough, you could also try squeezing in the mittens on the chest section of the sweater.

7. Trace a mitten-like outline of your hand, adding a 1/2 in. for your seams. I like my mittens to be snug...add an inch or more to your hand outline if you'd like a bit more space.

8. Include two inches from your wrist straght down to create the mitten opening.

9. Cut out patterns and sew all the way around your mitten, leaving the opening unsewn. If you're going to add decorative fleece, make sure you do it before you sew the mitten together. It will be much easier this way!

10. Leaving the mitten inside out, fold the opening 1" in and sew along the cut edge.

11. Sew a second line .5" to the right of the line you just sewed (closer to the opening). You're going to use this canal to hold the elastic in place so don't sew the second line all the way shut. You'll need some way of getting the elastic in.

12. Tie a piece of elastic to a safety pin and begin weaving it through the canal opening. Go all the way around the mitten to meet itself again. Tie elastic off, making sure that it will stretch enough to get your hand in but is snug enough so that the mittens don't fall off.

13. Repeat steps 7-12 for other mitten.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Designed to Plant a Smile!
http://www.gerberadesigns.com
Uglytrollgirl

I eat lead paint and i cannot lie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2003 02:20:52 PM »

you could even cut the mittens from the chest area, and use the sleeves for leg warmers!  i made several  leg warmers this way and i always get compliments on them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DIY or die
thewalrusisme
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2003 07:46:56 PM »

Mmmm legwarmers  Cheesy  
i've got to try this.... the cuff part would go towards the knee right? and bigger part down over ankles/shoes?  should u finish off the edge at all?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Art is why I get up in the morning.  My definition ends there.  It doesn't seem fair that I'm living for something I can't even define." ~ A.Difranco
broadwaybabe_4

I'm in love! (With the right One.)

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2003 11:49:42 AM »

you could even cut the mittens from the chest area, and use the sleeves for leg warmers!  i made several  leg warmers this way and i always get compliments on them!

how do you wear you legwarmers? with what do you wear them? do you hem up the part that you cut? which end goes by your feet? how high do you wear them? are they baggy? what colors? i think its an awesome idea, i just dont know how to wear them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Celebrate we will, for life is short but sweet for certain. Climb on two by two, to be sure these days continue.
Jessie
Goodmorning Starshine the Earth says HELLO!

Jazzzzmataz

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2004 10:31:14 PM »

That is soooooo cute! ya... i know that winter is almost over but hey i can start crafting for next year!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shanola2789

Trampobics, it's the new craze :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2004 09:09:44 PM »

What an awesome idea!  I love how everything matches and its reused, even better  Cheesy  I need to go find a sweater...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Be uber creative, the world will love you.
Stephannie

Dig that crazy sound.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2004 08:51:57 AM »

Thats a really great set!  You tutorial reminded me of how I make mittens... I'm a new knitter, so I knit four squares of wool, felt them, then cut and sew them into mitten shapes.  I close them with a draw strings at the wrist-- which is unique and if long enough, a groovy mitten string (cause I ALWAYS lose mitts)...  Its a good way of making mittens if you can't figure out how to knit them properly.... Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

moonunit426
Democrafter

Dear Duct Tape, You hold my life together. <3 M.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2004 08:16:17 PM »

I find so many cashmere sweaters at thrift stores! I'm going to make mittens now Smiley

I have made many legwarmers from sweaters. Some were bright colors that I wore for the 80s value, but I made some out of a really thick black sweater just to warm my legs! I cut the sleeves off of a skinny-armed sweater and didn't hem it or anything, I guess you could though. You can fold the ends under (towards your leg) if you don't want a cut end to show. I put the bigger end closer to my feet, and pull the smaller end up towards my knees. For the fashionable 80s look, you scrunch them down a little. I actually have some pictures!

Here is one on my leg. I didn't fold the end under at the bottom in this pic. The top had a neat stripe that I liked, and because it was the end of the sleeve, it was nicely hemmed. Please note, it is NOT acceptable to wear a long sock under it like I did!

http://people.fas.harvard.edu/~mfrommer/pics/Random/legwarmer.jpg

I dressed up in a $2 thrift store 80s prom dress for my dorm formal, so I wore the pink legwarmers. I think they really completed the outfit!

http://people.fas.harvard.edu/~mfrommer/pics/partyness/formal4.jpg
THIS ROCKS   Logged

feisty

costume student

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2007 10:26:44 AM »

and I thought I was the only one who wore jumper sleeve legwarmers!
The best ones I made were from a massive old grandad knit jumper thing, like cableknit, but massive. I wear them over espadrilles with skirts, or tucked inside wide boots, it is REALLY warm Smiley

I like the fleece idea, it looks really nice, if you could be bothered I spose you could line them in fleece too, but that might be a bit too much hassle.

I made a jumper winter set as well, I'm about to post it now; a hairband for a friend of mine, 2 hats and some mittens out of an old stripey gap kids jumper. I still have loads of the jumper left, maybe a balaclava  Tongue

THIS ROCKS   Logged
ScotSkipper402
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2007 01:12:12 PM »

If you cut the mittens lower down the sleeve, you have ready-made ribbed cuffs
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For what do we exist, but to laugh at our neighbors and be laughed at in our turn?"

My stash of supplies is now Beyond Life Expectancy. I love personal swaps! http://www.wists.com/redmennis
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Trio of Crudo at Riva with Chef Jason Travi
How to make Curry Chicken with Fresh Vegetables and Rice
Mulligatawny Recipe
Vegetable Stir Fry Recipe
Learn About Indian Food
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...