A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,083
Currently Running With Scissors:
506 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What are you gonna do with your $1 Target yarn(s)?  (Read 4545 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Zanti MissKnit

Formerly known as AndreaLH

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2005 06:27:26 AM »

I may pick up some of the orange yarn and combine it with non-fuzzy yarn to make a knitted cat.  One of my cats is an orange longhaired tabby, so I will make her!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jazzybelle
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2005 06:41:20 AM »

I got six skeins of the beige boucle (I'm boring), because it's so soft! Then I ran out of money and decided that even if I got six skeins of something cheap and furry, it would just sit around unused. I know this for a fact, because I have ten balls of purple, six balls of yellow, two of hot pink, three of lime green, one of hunter green/purple, and whatever's lying around in my "half-skein" chest. If anybody wants to buy some cheap fun-fur, I'm totally your source. :-P

Anyway. I'm going to use it in conjunction with some turquoise wool I have lying around to make a stripey tank top like the one ohmystars posted awhile ago. The boucle is too fuzzy on it's own, but I think pairing it with something else will tone it down a bit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

***I love personal swaps!***
Huhwhat?
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2005 07:14:28 AM »

Ha! Ha! I'm such a yarn addict, I completely forgot what I bought. I had to go back and look at it! I forgot that when I went back to Target on one of my subsequent visits, I bought a bunch of that tan boucle with the intention of making a shrug for myself!

I just finished 2 shrugs (made from L.B. Woolease)  for my daughter and they looked so sharp on her (Still have to get her to pose for pix to post) that I decided to make one for myself. That was the major plan, silly me!

So the furry yarn is slippery, eh? Maybe I should try out the bamboo needles on that project. I'm thinking of a very drapey, loosely knit shawl.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

patriautism
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2005 05:09:35 PM »

I paired some of the fiery orange with some blue eyelash that I had laying around and it came out looking like a gigantic caterpillar. It's about 8 or 9 feet long. Very cool color change effect too. I've played with the thin mohair type stuff by itself and it's a bit difficult to work with alone, I liked it better paired with something. I'm using the light purple and gold "Funky Fringe Yarn" to make a wide scarf that will probably just turn into a wrap but it's behaving and it looks pretty neat. My store didn't have the boucle, I'll have to check the one across town.

The fiery orange/blue eyelash combination sounds terrific.  Is there any chance of you posting a picture of the finished project?  I would love to see it!  The mohair-type yarn is rather awful to work with!  I've never worked with anything like that before (which doesn't mean much, since I've a relatively inexperienced knitter).  Why does it bunch up on the needle and refuse to budge?!?  Thought it could be because I was knitting a tad too tightly, so I loosened my stitches.  The dang thing is so slippery that I keep dropping my stitches Tongue  Despite my ranting, the color makes me happy and that is why I am determined to finish the scarf.  I have never paired yarns and knitted with them.  Is that a difficult thing to do?  I would appreciate any comments/suggestions for that.  It might just be the perfect thing to do with my light gray furry yarn.

It's really not hard to pair stuff or even work with three strands to a stitch. Just hold them together and knit as usual. I can't even think of a tip, it's so easy. I will try to get a pic of it---it's maybe the raddest thing I'm ever made. I might have to resort to laying in the scanner bed though. As far as the mohair stuff goes, I'm not really sure because I had the same problem and I'm not a tight knitter. Maybe it just does that---like the hairs get caught on one another and it sticks to itself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bokodasu
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2005 09:27:10 AM »

I was really disappointed when I finally got to Target - once you look at the weight/yardage of most of the yarns, it's not a bargain at all. (Costs the same as the stuff at ACM, just not as nice!)

I did pick up a bunch of the wossname, funky fringe? I had a project all planned out, and got enough to make 2, and only when I got home thought, hey, I'm not going to wear that and neither would anyone I know. Drat. Into the stash it goes, I guess, but I have to make SOMETHING out of at least some of it or my husband will flip. Mmmm... any good ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
loves2experiment
Swap Moderator
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Irreverent. Indomitable. Incorrigible.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2005 10:53:29 AM »

It's really not hard to pair stuff or even work with three strands to a stitch. Just hold them together and knit as usual. I can't even think of a tip, it's so easy. I will try to get a pic of it---it's maybe the raddest thing I'm ever made. I might have to resort to laying in the scanner bed though. As far as the mohair stuff goes, I'm not really sure because I had the same problem and I'm not a tight knitter. Maybe it just does that---like the hairs get caught on one another and it sticks to itself.

Thanks, I'll try that out.  Since I've never knitted with more that one strand, I wasn't sure if I needed to twist them together or do something with the strands before knitting them.  If the scarf is the raddest things you've made, I'm definitely looking forward to seeing an image of it.  I imagine the colors are probably pretty vivid  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...loves to experiment...not a monogamous crafter...

STS Spring Market 2014
AmyKT5
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2005 07:14:25 PM »

Is anyone else having trouble with the furry/mohair type yarn tangling?  I was knitting up a swatch with it last night to see what it looked like worked up and when I went to unravel it it knotted up on itself terribly.  I bought a total of 12 skeins of that in 4 different colors and now I'm seriously thinking of returning them.  So soft, but I don't like the idea of not being able to make a mistake.  Undecided

I also bought the funky fringe/confetti type yarn and I have to say i love it!  Cheesy  I bought the multicolor bronze/brass/gold color.  I think it looks very autumn-y.  I'm working on a long skinny scarf (i think someone else mentioned that they were making that, too?)  Actually, I'm so in love with the colors that I'm trying to think of something to make out of this yarn for my wedding (they're pretty much exactly what I wanted for my wedding colors), which isn't until next year...but...never too early, right??  haha.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
loves2experiment
Swap Moderator

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2005 09:28:38 PM »

I just finished my scarf (using the flame colored furry yarn)!  Yes, the yarn does seem to tangle.  When I tried to unravel my test swatch, the furry fibers matted and it was darn near impossible to unravel it.  I ended up lopping it off.  Anyhow, it's a simple garter stitch scarf and there were no complications along the way. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

STS Spring Market 2014
patriautism
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2005 10:57:13 PM »

I knit a swatch with the mohair stuff only on sixe 15s----when I pulled itout I was really careful. It looked like the type of stuff to do that. Try bigger needles if you think you're going to mess up now and then, it ripped out fine on the 15s.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

loves2experiment
Swap Moderator

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2005 11:14:22 AM »

I used size 11 (8mm) needles for the furry yarn scarf and it wasn't too bad since I didn't make any major mistakes.  For the next project, I'll definitely do a test swatch with size 15 needles and see if that'll work.  patriautism, thanks for the suggestion!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

STS Spring Market 2014
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The 6 Shoes Every Woman Should Own
How to Pick Underwear For Your Body Type
Cool-Girl-Approved Vests You Need in Your Wardrobe
A Surprise Makeover For a "Rachael Ray" Audience Member
Wear Leather For Spring: 3 Great Outfits to Show You How!
Latest Blog Articles
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects
Spotlight On: Amigurumi

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...