A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 296,661
Currently Running With Scissors:
536 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What are you gonna do with your $1 Target yarn(s)?  (Read 4665 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

loves2experiment
Swap Moderator
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Irreverent. Indomitable. Incorrigible.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: September 09, 2005 06:15:53 PM »

So, there has been tons of discussion about the availability of the yarns. 
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=50755.0 
Though I shouldn't have, I went to my local Target and bought about $25 worth of the fun fur and boucle yarns.  Bad, bad, bad.  I can't resist a good bargain  Tongue  What is everyone else planning to do with their stash?  Any suggestions on easy/beginner projects for the yarns?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...loves to experiment...not a monogamous crafter...

STS Spring Market 2014
Huhwhat?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2005 08:39:28 PM »

I was cautious at first. (What if it's not good yarn? What if it just doesn't look right when I knit it up? What if I get some, but not enough to finish a project and then I'm stuck with a UFO that can't possibly be finished?) So I started with only two balls of a neat looking boucle and a pair of bamboo needles. (Usually I prefer aluminum because they go faster and they make that neat noise when you knit, but for $1 I thought I might try bamboo and see if I like them.)

Then, I came home and argued with myself. "Come on, it's $1! What a cheapwad," I said to myself. So I went back and bought $7 more yarn and 3 more pairs of needles.

A few days later, my dh and I were at Target and he says "oh look! $1 yarn!" Then he said "Oh, you can't pass that up. Why don't you get a bunch?" Yarn is my crack. My hubby is an enabler.

So I got like $20 more. And I got 2 of the pattern books. And some crochet hooks.

Oh, and then I was out with my daughter, and since she is the primary recipient of my knitting, she said "Oh, get some $1 yarn Mom!" So I got some more. 

So far, I have not used it. (Because I have this rule about only having about a dozen UFOs at one time) But I will definitely make the pink boucle heart pillow in one of the books for my daughter. And I will most likely make several hats and mittens for her and for donation. And since I am shawl deprived, I have a lovely grey mohair type that would like to become a grey shawl for me.

What are you making?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

patriautism
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2005 08:45:18 PM »

I paired some of the fiery orange with some blue eyelash that I had laying around and it came out looking like a gigantic caterpillar. It's about 8 or 9 feet long. Very cool color change effect too. I've played with the thin mohair type stuff by itself and it's a bit difficult to work with alone, I liked it better paired with something. I'm using the light purple and gold "Funky Fringe Yarn" to make a wide scarf that will probably just turn into a wrap but it's behaving and it looks pretty neat. My store didn't have the boucle, I'll have to check the one across town.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

loves2experiment
Swap Moderator

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2005 05:51:21 AM »

I was cautious at first. (What if it's not good yarn? What if it just doesn't look right when I knit it up? What if I get some, but not enough to finish a project and then I'm stuck with a UFO that can't possibly be finished?) So I started with only two balls of a neat looking boucle and a pair of bamboo needles. (Usually I prefer aluminum because they go faster and they make that neat noise when you knit, but for $1 I thought I might try bamboo and see if I like them.)

Then, I came home and argued with myself. "Come on, it's $1! What a cheapwad," I said to myself. So I went back and bought $7 more yarn and 3 more pairs of needles.

A few days later, my dh and I were at Target and he says "oh look! $1 yarn!" Then he said "Oh, you can't pass that up. Why don't you get a bunch?" Yarn is my crack. My hubby is an enabler.

So I got like $20 more. And I got 2 of the pattern books. And some crochet hooks.

Oh, and then I was out with my daughter, and since she is the primary recipient of my knitting, she said "Oh, get some $1 yarn Mom!" So I got some more. 

So far, I have not used it. (Because I have this rule about only having about a dozen UFOs at one time) But I will definitely make the pink boucle heart pillow in one of the books for my daughter. And I will most likely make several hats and mittens for her and for donation. And since I am shawl deprived, I have a lovely grey mohair type that would like to become a grey shawl for me.

What are you making?

I was equally paranoid about not having sufficient yarn to complete a project - with good reason, since the dollar items at Target get snapped up pretty quickly and seem not to get replenished when the supply runs out!  However, I'm getting reacquainted with knitting, so these yarns were perfect for me. 

It's awesome that your dh and daughter are extremely supportive of your yarn habit  Cheesy  I brought home a whole bunch of the yarn and let's just say, my friends thought I was 'just going through a phase'.  Hence, I'm determined to make something with the yarns. 

Here are my plans:

Pink Boucle: Never done this before, but I'm gonna try and make a baby cap of sorts for a good friend's daughter.  Hope it turns out right...

Multi-Colored Funky Fringe: The color reminded me of stained glass and I had to get it.  Absolutely no idea on what I will do with it.  Might not even end up being a knit project.  Thought it might be a fun add-on to paper crafts, etc., unless I get inspired to try something with it. 

Flame Colored Furry Yarn: This one, I'm working on right now.  It's gonna be a simple garter stitch scarf but the colors make me happy Smiley

Lavender Colored Furry Yarn: I'm gonna attempt to make a wrap for my mom.  I purchased 20 (yeah, I hope I've got enough yarn) skeins.  Thought it was a cool color and it being really lightweight was a real bonus.  My mom already has several wraps in her closet, but she has mentioned that they are too bulky to put in her bag when she travels. 

Light Gray Furry Yarn:  Erm, still looking for project ideas.  I only bought 4 skeins so it is destined for a small project.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2005 05:53:49 AM by loves2experiment » THIS ROCKS   Logged

STS Spring Market 2014
kategirl

queen of awkward

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2005 05:55:58 AM »

I got 10 skiens of the firey red/orange furry yarn.  I'm making it into a drapey, light caplet.  I think it's going to end up as too much yarn, but it's so lovely that I don't mind.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knitastic
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2005 05:57:52 AM »

Same thing -- I couldn't resist the price.  But I have found that the grey fur yard (all I bought) is thin as floss.  I don't know what to do with it.  I think it will just sit unused.  Any ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kategirl

queen of awkward

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2005 06:04:07 AM »

it's really thin, but it knits up pretty nicely if it's for something without much weight.  it also might do well paired with another yarn.  except it is very slippery, so I'd opt for bamboo needles.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

loves2experiment
Swap Moderator

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2005 06:06:09 AM »

I paired some of the fiery orange with some blue eyelash that I had laying around and it came out looking like a gigantic caterpillar. It's about 8 or 9 feet long. Very cool color change effect too. I've played with the thin mohair type stuff by itself and it's a bit difficult to work with alone, I liked it better paired with something. I'm using the light purple and gold "Funky Fringe Yarn" to make a wide scarf that will probably just turn into a wrap but it's behaving and it looks pretty neat. My store didn't have the boucle, I'll have to check the one across town.

The fiery orange/blue eyelash combination sounds terrific.  Is there any chance of you posting a picture of the finished project?  I would love to see it!  The mohair-type yarn is rather awful to work with!  I've never worked with anything like that before (which doesn't mean much, since I've a relatively inexperienced knitter).  Why does it bunch up on the needle and refuse to budge?!?  Thought it could be because I was knitting a tad too tightly, so I loosened my stitches.  The dang thing is so slippery that I keep dropping my stitches Tongue  Despite my ranting, the color makes me happy and that is why I am determined to finish the scarf.  I have never paired yarns and knitted with them.  Is that a difficult thing to do?  I would appreciate any comments/suggestions for that.  It might just be the perfect thing to do with my light gray furry yarn.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2005 07:26:50 AM by loves2experiment » THIS ROCKS   Logged

STS Spring Market 2014
loves2experiment
Swap Moderator

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2005 06:11:32 AM »

I got 10 skiens of the firey red/orange furry yarn.  I'm making it into a drapey, light caplet.  I think it's going to end up as too much yarn, but it's so lovely that I don't mind.

Oooh, that sounds really pretty.  Will you be able to post a picture of the completed project?  I bought yarn in the same color but mine's already half a scarf.  The yarn is awfully slippery and I need to take breaks from knitting with it or I will probably attack it with a pair of scissors Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

STS Spring Market 2014
Jennickell
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2005 06:18:44 AM »

I am a crocheter, but I  too got so excited to see the $1 yarn at target, I bought 4 skiens, I made two scarves, one with that super soft fuzzy yarn (paired it with some plain white) and another with the funky fringe (I think that is what the label said it was called), paired it with some yellow yarn, both look great and it took exactly two of each to make a scarf.
I am going to go get more of the soft, fuzzy kind to make some baby hats and booties with.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Serrano Ham and Cabernet Soaked Cheddar Stuffed Chicken
Seared Scallops with Butternut Squash and Mushrooms
Seared Pork Tenderloin with Polenta Cake
New York Strip Crusted with Horseradish Mustard
Grilled Rack of Lamb with Asparagus
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...