A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,187
Currently Running With Scissors:
398 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: calling all crafty geniuses!  (Read 1611 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

smarmyclothes
lex fiend

i can get you a toe by 3 o'clock this afternoon...

View Profile WWW
« on: September 09, 2005 05:48:44 PM »

okay, here's my dilemma:  for the past few years, i've been dying to be Mayor McCheese for halloween. 

http://www.spaff.com/poesy/mccheese.html

if you note in the picture, he has an enormous cheeseburger head, which has been the source of my tossing and turning at night these past few years.  how, i say, HOW am i to make that head? 

i've thought about paper mache, but i just don't have confidence in my paper mache-ing abilites.  the only thing i've been able to come up with is carving it out of foam, but i can never find a large enough chunk (or even chunks to glue together) of foam.  i'm looking for something roughly 24"x24"x16".  any ideas?  cheap sources for foam?  anything?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

rhiandmoi
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2005 06:23:55 PM »

What you could do is start with a box and build out from there.  I would start with a box that  was about the size of your head, if you have a soccerball or basketball box that would be perfect.  Something like a bank box would work though. Then I would round it out with some poster board so it is sort of shaped like a can of tuna For the top bun a piece of upholstery foam or a largish round pillow form depending on how big you made the burger portion of the head. At this point put it on your head and figure out where you wan the eye holes to be, and cut out a little window, then have at decorating the thing. I would reccomend rigging some sort of chin strap to keep your big cheeseburger on your head. For the eyes on the top of the head I would cut a tennisball in half and spray paint them to look like eyes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Vey
De Monterrey, para el mundo

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2005 12:36:29 AM »

Hm, what about making your own stuffed helmet like head? You'd need to buy fleece or flanel or maybe some cotton fabric in colors resembling the bun and the burger patty colors, and some poly-fil to stuff them. For the bun, cut out a big cilrcle lets say some 35" perharps to be the top of the top bun and a smaller circle to be the bottom of the top bun maybe 25". PLEASE MAKE SURE THAT THESE MEASUREMENTS WILL PRODUCE A NICE BUN SHAPED PILLOW, RIGHT NOW I'M JUST GUESSING.

Just sew it right sides in, like when making a big pillow, and leave some inches to turn it inside out so you can stuff it and then close the gap you left open. You can add some straps to hold it on your head. You pretty much look like this now:

Then, for the patty and the bottom bun, you could make a huge doughnut shaped pillow for each (with their corresponding color), so the whole thing will be hollow for your head. Consider that the top bun will sit on it and you'll have to: A) make a very long tube of fabric first and then fill it and sew tube ends together, or B) make a more sophisticated giant doughnut shaped pillow with a giant version of the doughnut tutorial that Julieko posted not too long ago (just the shape) http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=46368.0

If you go for the tube option you'll have to produce a loooong tube per pillow. To obtain its exact length, multiply the diameter of the bun by 3.1416 (pi). So, if for example your bun is 24" total, you'll need a 75.5" long tube (plus seam allowances).

Once you have the doughnut-shaped patty-to-be and bun-to be, handstitch the both of them stacked, and then handstitch the patty to the top bun, but leave a gap that will allow a slight "crack" so to speak, for your eyes. In my head, you'd look like this now, with the whole thing resting on the top of your head and shoulders:

And now that you have the basic form, decorate with yellow felt for the cheese, make a small top hat, the eyes and the nose, which can be made with leftovers of the fabric used for the bun.

The final product (according to me)

Now, my only concern is that this feels like it'll get very hot in there, I hope that you live in a cold place   Undecided

Well, this is my idea, it is VERY late, but I just had to come up with something, or I would be tossing and turning like you, smarmy... I hope that this helps you at least to get insipred and improve my prototype, or maybe come up with something very different that works for you  Wink

Good luck in making your Mayor McCheese!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Evelyn
CGNUmarzipan
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2005 10:59:15 PM »

mabye to make it simple
you could just get a poster board and make it in to a giant mask
like draw and color the head and cut it out
and cut out eye and mouth hole if you want
then just and like a ruler at the bottom
that way you can just hold it up to your face
and not have this huge thing on your head all night
THIS ROCKS   Logged
smarmyclothes
lex fiend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2005 01:00:01 PM »

vey- thank you so much for the idea and AWESOME drawings.  they were too cute!  i actually broke down and bought some pieces of foam over the internet, i think my total was about $45.  but it's upholstery/mattress type foam, not styrofoam, so i will probably wind up using a method similar to yours, cutting the foam to the right shape and then covering with fabric. 

i have been slightly concerned about the heat issue.  i live in michigan, and it tends to vary from being a nice warm autumn day on halloween and a more frigid snowing halloween.  we shall see.  i have been wanting to make this stupid cheeseburger head for so long, that i don't really care how hot it will be in there!  (of course, i say that NOW....)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vey
De Monterrey, para el mundo

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2005 01:24:35 PM »

You're very welcome smarmy, and I'm glad you have come up with an idea to make your cheeseburger. Just like I said before, this was my idea to help you to get the solution that worked best for you.

Now, take care when you wear it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Evelyn
hugs-n-bugs
I'm better than Martha, well almost.

Have glue gun, will travel...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2005 02:13:07 PM »

OOOOH I really want to see it in progress and done when you do work on it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking for fellow craftsters to share ideas with!
http://www.myspace.com/giggles1100
smarmyclothes
lex fiend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2005 05:03:13 PM »

i'll try to remember to take pictures as i'm working on it.  i always forget to take pictures until i'm done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Fashions Created with Recycled Materials
The Best Looks to Heat Up Your Super Bowl
Top 5 Ways to Fix Static Cling
Sarah Jessica Parker Shows Off Her New Shoe Line for Nordstrom
Angel Sanchez Spring 2014 New York Fashion Week - Runway & Interviews
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...