A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Monday, May 23 News:  Please take a moment to congratulate and thank our newest Craftster Moderators, lindyv321, pottermouth, PerfectlyBohemian, Mistress Jennie and LovelyMiss!
Total Members: 305,638
Currently Running With Scissors:
526 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Felted dreadlocks (lotsa pics!)  (Read 22575 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Jane Doe
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2005 09:02:08 PM »

I know what you mean about too much!  I like your dreads, too - it looks like some of them are kind of twisted into the hair?  Never seen that.  Can you tell how you did it?

twisted into the hair
-if you mean like the first pic (muted pink dreads) the felted dreads are plaited into the regular hair.
-if you're refering to the last pic (black, neon pink, and lime dreads) the dread is in some parts, twisted around a section of hair of similar thickness.
-if you're refering to the second last and third last pics, I felted two colors together into twists before installing them.

To do both the second and third techniques mentioned here, it's similar to making rope.
Take two sections, and twist them individually. Then, wrap around each other. The initial twist holds the two parts together. For putting two sections of wool together, at this point rolling them together with hot water helps the wool to seal.

All this is difficult to explain! Hope this helps a little
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rachelyra
Medium Reality

making stuff, taking names.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2005 08:37:24 AM »

it was the second, and it made a nunch of sense.  thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

GraceOblivious

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2005 05:03:33 AM »

Hi again Jane Doe,  busy, busy Jane, when do you sleep?  Expect you are a breath of fresh air in all the places you go.  The triangled plait that looks like your own hair plaited with one or two felted locks is awesome.   

Especially like that some of your dreads are on stretchy elastic - sort of like wearing a wig or hat then -- so one can have plain hair some days and glorious dreads on others.  Plus the variety of short for "bangs" or pieces and the singles for adding just a bit of highlight.  I have known some folks to actually needle felt  - wool locks into their own hair - but then to loose the locks also had to loose the hair.

Last but not least you asked for ideas, no matter how wild.  Have you ever done snake heads on the ends of the locks?  I'd almost be tempted to insert a wire in such locks to be able to position the snake head writhing out of the hair.   Worn with leather arm  gauntlets; plusf gold chains dressed into the hair/locks - high drama.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Etsy http://www.feltsewcrafty.etsy.com
Zibbet http://www.zibbet.com/aTranquilNook
Blog http://aTranquilNook.blogspot.com/
Oh how I love to Sew and Make felt
CosmicCranberry
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2005 05:58:39 AM »

Pm me when you can take more orders! I want some!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
askaboutrpickles

* i AM a very stylish girl *

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2005 12:52:46 AM »

i am not familiar with felt other than the cheap kind in sheets form the craft store so maybe this is a silly Q, lol, but can people get the dreads wet? like in the shower?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
http://www.cannibalizejewelry.etsy.com
http://www.leannealaman.weebly.com

Boycott SHAMpoo, demand real poo!
LivinEasy

Eat Cheese. Be Happy.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2005 06:57:45 AM »

Miss Jane...

I'd love to see some peacock inspired ones...something akin to hello.mango's yarn:  http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=43198.10. I don't know if you've seen any of her spun yarn before but her work may be inspriational for you. She does some great stuff. I love your felted dreads. So vibrant. Wish I could pull 'em off.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

rachelyra
Medium Reality

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2005 08:08:37 AM »

i've worn dreadlocks like this in my hair before, with much of my hair still loose and 'normal' around them.  washed it as usual.  they take longer to dry but, being made of hair themselves, aren't harmed by it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hope.
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2005 09:08:44 AM »

i love them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jane Doe

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2005 01:01:22 AM »

GloriousHats - sleep? what's that? lol
In regards to the dreads, some of them are made into hair-pieces so as you described, you can have fancy hair on the weekends and still keep your day job  Wink
I'm at UNI to be a school teacher and although I'm sure the children would love the dreads, I doubt it'd be professional of me.
People have needle felted wool into their own hair? That's commitment, and it must have taken ages to needle felt in a whole head of dreads.

Love your idea of doing snake heads on the ends of the locks. Having just recently taken up needle felting, makes sense to give it a go. Yup, depinately going to try that one

LivinEasy - thanks for posting the link, and you're so right, hello.mango's yarn is fabulous! I did make myself a black/lime/purple set a while back, but I don't remember if I took any pics. I'll see what I can find  Smiley

askaboutrpic - In regards to wetting the dreads, I wouldn't ever saturate my hair when they're in. Getting a little wet (eg light rain) I have no problems with, but swimming etc I wouldn't, mainly because of the felting process. Getting the dreads really damp might encourage them to felt into your hair. I'd reccomend alternative methods to clean your scalp, such as tea tree oil or dry shampoo. I brew up my own scalp cleaner with the main ingredients: aloe vera, tea tree oil and lavender oil

rachelyra - I'm suprised at your experiences with washing your hair with your felted dreads installed. You don't find they trap the damp or shrink into your hair?

Thanks for the suggestions guys  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rachelyra
Medium Reality

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2005 07:51:41 AM »

typically what i did (it'll be different now with the mohawk) was put maybe ten max double-ended dreads in my hair. with the hair they are attached to braided and the rest falling loose around.  the dreads themselves weren't braided into my hiar for the whole length, just installed at the base of the braid for a few inches.  my hair's pretty fine, which i think helped them to not felt in.  with so few dreads, it was easier for them to dry, i guess. they stayed wet for hours, but never an unhealthy period of time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
Drawing Clothes on a Fashion Figure
Drawing a Fashion Figure
The Basics of Fashion Drawing
How to Make a Tattoo Stencil by Hand
How to Draw Curves like an Architect
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Painted Background
Easy Summer Salads
Meatless Monday: Gluten Free Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...