So i suffer from major insomnia and that's the only thing that can eplain why i was cooking at 3.00 am!!!
Anyways I do eat chicken and some sea food but since my family is vegetarian I have never cooked non veg food at home. I never needed to coz i always got what i needed at great rests. back home. But since i'am in america now and not always able to get the indian style cooked food i decided to cook chicken for the first time in my life. And boy am i happy i tired it! And if you fancy Indian curry you shd make this!
Here's the recipe for the famous Indian style Butter chicken
(It's called butter chicken coz we use butter and not oil to cook it and also coz the gravy is all creamy and buttery and ohh so lovely.)
Ingredients (Beware: I don't measure but i'll try to give you some idea of how much ingredient i use)
2 pieces of boneless skinless chicken breast (Cut into bite size pieces)
A whole lot of butter (pls use salted butter)...well about 1/4 stick of butter...or maybe 1/2!!!
One Onion, finely chopped
4 cloves of garlic
Equal amt of ginger
3 Halepeno peppers
(Now the following ingredients might not be that readily available but if you look in your grocery stores ethnic food section you will be able to find them)
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
2.5 tsps of red chilli powder (you can use cayanne(sp?) pepper
2.5 tsps of cumin powder (this you can make at home by just grinding up whole cumin seeds)
1 tsp of corriander powder
2 tsps of Garam Masala (i know this is purely an Indian spice...it's basically a whole lot of spices ground together...like cinamon, cardamom and lots of others. Not sure if it correspondes to All spice availbe easily. Garam= hot, masala= spices)
Salt to taste
2 cans of tomatoe puree.
2 tbsp of heavy cream ( i used sour cream instead)
puree of a handful of almonds.
1. Grind garlic, ginger, and halapeno into a fine paste.
2. In a pan heat the butter and saute the chopped onions and the above paste till almost brown
3. Then add the chilli powder, turmeric, cumin powder, corriander powder and garam masala and salt and sautee more. All the spices will mix well and brown and you will know when it's done when the butter starts to seperate a lil from all the spices.
4. Once brown and cooked, add the pieces of chicken breasts and sautee till the chicken turns a lil white on all sides.
5. Now add the tomato puree and almond puree and mix well. If it's too thick add some watre and cover to cook.
6. Cook for about 35 mins or till chicken is done. Stir once or twice in the middle.
7. Just 5 mins before it's all done, add the heavy cream(or sour cream) and mix well.
8. Let it all cook for 5 mins and you are ready to serve!!!
Ideally served with white rice!
It's ohhh soo yum!!!
I hope everyone can try it! and if someone wants to real bad, i'll send you some of the spices if need be.
I'am just soo excited it came out very tasty!