A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,692
Currently Running With Scissors:
466 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Authentic Indian Butter Chicken  (Read 2251 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

JazzyBee
« on: September 09, 2005 12:48:01 AM »

Hi all!

So i suffer from major insomnia and that's the only thing that can eplain why i was cooking at 3.00 am!!!
Anyways I do eat chicken and some sea food but since my family is vegetarian I have never cooked non veg food at home. I never needed to coz i always got what i needed at great rests. back home. But since i'am in america now and not always able to get the indian style cooked food i decided to cook chicken for the first time in my life. And boy am i happy i tired it! And if you fancy Indian curry you shd make this!

Here's the recipe for the famous Indian style Butter chicken
(It's called butter chicken coz we use butter and not oil to cook it and also coz the gravy is all creamy and buttery and ohh so lovely.)

Ingredients (Beware: I don't measure but i'll try to give you some idea of how much ingredient i use)

2 pieces of boneless skinless chicken breast (Cut into bite size pieces)
A whole lot of butter (pls use salted butter)...well about 1/4 stick of butter...or maybe 1/2!!! Grin
One Onion, finely chopped
4 cloves of garlic
Equal amt of ginger
3 Halepeno peppers

(Now the following ingredients might not be that readily available but if you look in your grocery stores ethnic food section you will be able to find them)
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
2.5 tsps of red chilli powder (you can use cayanne(sp?) pepper
2.5 tsps of cumin powder (this you can make at home by just grinding up whole cumin seeds)
1 tsp of corriander powder
2 tsps of Garam Masala (i know this is purely an Indian spice...it's basically a whole lot of spices ground together...like cinamon, cardamom and lots of others. Not sure if it correspondes to All spice availbe easily. Garam= hot, masala= spices)
Salt to taste

2 cans of tomatoe puree.
2 tbsp of heavy cream ( i used sour cream instead)
puree of a handful of almonds.

Method:

1. Grind garlic, ginger, and halapeno into a fine paste.
2. In a pan heat the butter and saute the chopped onions and the above paste till almost brown
3. Then add the chilli powder, turmeric, cumin powder, corriander powder and garam masala and salt and sautee more. All the spices will mix well and brown and you will know when it's done when the butter starts to seperate a lil from all the spices.
4. Once brown and cooked, add the pieces of chicken breasts and sautee till the chicken turns a lil white on all sides.
5. Now add the tomato puree and almond puree and mix well. If it's too thick add some watre and cover to cook.
6. Cook for about 35 mins or till chicken is done. Stir once or twice in the middle.
7. Just 5 mins before it's all done, add the heavy cream(or sour cream) and mix well.
8. Let it all cook for 5 mins and you are ready to serve!!!

Ideally served with white rice!

It's ohhh soo yum!!!
I hope everyone can try it! and if someone wants to real bad, i'll send you some of the spices if need be.

I'am just soo excited it came out very tasty! Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would just like to thank the academy for nominating me......
lynnidings
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2005 12:54:20 AM »

Mmmmm... I haven't even had breakfast yet but it sounds so delicious I'm going to try and make it for dinner. *drool*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

loves2experiment
Swap Moderator
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Irreverent. Indomitable. Incorrigible.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2005 05:07:07 AM »

JazzyBee, I love curries  Grin  I glanced at the list of ingredients and goodgrief, I believe I have them in my kitchen.  Goody gumdrops.  I'm definitely gonna try the recipe this weekend.  Quick question.  Is it a really spicy (as in flaming hot?) curry, or is it rather mild?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...loves to experiment...not a monogamous crafter...

STS Winter Market 2014
Bastelmutti
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2005 08:09:51 AM »

That sounds great! I will definitely try it. By the way, have you heard of Devon Ave. in Chicago? It's the big Indian/Pakistani neighborhood here. Fantastic for spices and we buy Indian sweets there, too, to take to parties.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JazzyBee
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2005 02:15:06 PM »

loves2experiment, no ti's not spicey...well not too spicey. You can alter the chilli powder quantity if you wish. But the reason why they put heavy cream in the dish at the end is to balance off the sort of hot taste. The cream makes it milder and creamier! Grin

Bastelmutti ...i have not heard of the Chicago area you are referring to. But I live in New Jersey and there;s a huge Indian community here so getting all these indian ingredients is quite easy. However if you eat out in indian rests. you might not always get that home cooked taste!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would just like to thank the academy for nominating me......
McAuliflower
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2005 11:01:02 PM »

Great recipe!  I've seen this dish refered to in an Indian cookbook as the one that made the author non-vegetarian. 

It's nice seeing something other than bacon get the blame for that move  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

save your fork- there's pie! http://www.browniepointsblog.com
dalargestpucca

My head is beeg. It is larger than a tweeg.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2005 07:34:47 AM »

I can't wait to try this recipe. I am obsessed with butter chicken and have tried a lot of recipes. This one sounds good and simple. I'll tell you how it goes!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lisiepeasie

greetings. fish i am.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2005 01:20:06 AM »

I tried JazzyBee's version of the butter chicken and it turned out great! I made several compromises along the way though, such as reducing the amount of butter, doing away with the chilli.

Also, I couldn't find Graham Masala anywhere near me! Blah. So much for living in a multi-racial society. So I just substituted it with tons of spices that would have gone in to make Malay rice.

But overall, great recipe! Cheesy Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Steal all the chandeliers down your street and call it romance.
lovelyislacey
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2005 08:17:52 AM »

I made this recipe the other day and LOVED it it was sooo good

THIS ROCKS   Logged

kraftwerker
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2005 10:53:39 PM »

AAHHh  thank you so much for this recipe!  My father is from India so I thought I was well versed in the art of curries and Indian dishes, but I had never actually had butter chicken  until the recent wedding of a friend (my father is from Kerala, so curries revolve around coconut milk and not butter)  Needless to say I was in love with this dish, but none of my Aunties had ever tried to make it themselves, so I thought I was left ordering sub-par butter chicken from restaurants....but you have saved me!!!  Thank  you thank you thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A pretty girl is like a violent crime, if you do it wrong you could do time. - The Magnetic Fields
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
3 DIY Body Scrubs
LORAC Touch-Up to Go Concealer and Foundation Pen Review
Deconstructed Rose Lip Gloss Library Review
Eye Makeup Tutorial: Applying Eye Shadow
Hard Candy Take Me Out Blue Liner Review
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup
@Home This Weekend: Bee Magnets
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...