A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 301,556
Currently Running With Scissors:
560 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Buying Handspun/Hand dyed Yarn Online  (Read 1153 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hercuteness
wonderfulonium

Give me a week or two to go absolutely cuckoo.

View Profile WWW
« on: September 08, 2005 08:02:07 PM »

Some quick questions and I'll let you all get back to your knitting.

What places do you tend to favor, if any, for buying artisan-type yarns online?

How much do you typically expect to pay for a hank of handspun, hand dyed wool or wool blends (like silk, alpaca, etc)?  Do you look to see if it's imported, and does that matter?

And, just what IS the difference between Hand Painted and Hand Dyed?  I've never been really clear on that.

I'm just curious because I never know if I should go ahead and spend the cash in the store, or if I should feel comfortable seeking out a better deal online. 

But, the "better deal" is always relative, so I wanted to get some perspective from seasoned knitters and newbies alike.

Thanks for any guidance you can give!

Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You got no fear of the underdog. . .that's why you will not survive!

PHOTOGRAPHY - It's what I do, and I'm pretty darn good.
http://www.fulltiltphotography.com/

FACEBOOK
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1261437978

MYSPACE
http://www.myspace.com/nadiacaffesse
NoelleNoodle
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2005 12:51:13 PM »

What places do you tend to favor, if any, for buying artisan-type yarns online?

Lately for me it's been all about finding it on ebay.  I just got this seller's yarn in this week and just LOVE it.  They raise their own animals for the fiber and they even grow their own hay to feed them.  Then they handdye and spin it.  To me this is amazing.  And they're even local to me since they're just up in Colorado.  Look for username coloradosandstoneranch

Some other users I've bought excellent yarn from have been nevada-jade (who includes free handmade wooden needles with her yarn) and skyweaver.  I've also heard really good things about the yarn from username:  lotusblossom.

How much do you typically expect to pay for a hank of handspun, hand dyed wool or wool blends (like silk, alpaca, etc)?  Do you look to see if it's imported, and does that matter?

I usually expect to pay from 10 to 20 dollars for 75 - 175 yards.  That's usually just multicolor thick and thin not the crazy handspun with all the neat items spun into them.  I look at the fiber content and the colors and size of the yarn.  I don't really notice if it's imported.  Does it sound crazy to say that sometimes the yarn just "speaks to me"?

And, just what IS the difference between Hand Painted and Hand Dyed?

I'm not entirely clear on it myself but in my mind, handpainted is when the dyes have been "painted on" with a turkey baster or paintbrush using a small cup while hand-dyed tend to be a little less intricate with the color applications.  I think both are equally good.  Lately though I've found myself preferring the yarns that are spun from dyed fibers more than the painted after being spun yarns.  But that's just my current phase thing.

I can't say enough good things about buying from an ebay seller that has good feedback.  Every yarn I've bought on ebay has been wonderful.

Hope this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aline125

If I'm not crafting...I'm DEAD

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2005 09:41:28 AM »

Another great place for Handpun yarn is Etsy!  I have some of my handspun yarn up there and so does a bunch of other Crafster members!  check it out www.etsy.com search for handpun yarn!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LorettaYoungSkills

burn all the candles out make a wish but not aloud

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2005 01:07:39 PM »

sunandmooncreations - i just seen some bautiful wool on etsy belonged to you!! so pretty!

i have also just bought some handspun hand dyed yarn from the natural dye shop on ebay... just paid for it today so I dont know what its like ye but i will let everyone know!

im attenting college doing a textile studies program and we've just leanred how to spin and dye our own yarns... this could be a new addiction since knitting just became my new one hehe!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aline125

If I'm not crafting...I'm DEAD

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2005 01:19:36 PM »

Thanks Loretta!  Beware spinning is really addictive! I try and sell my yarn so I can afford to spin more! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LorettaYoungSkills

burn all the candles out make a wish but not aloud

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2005 01:39:10 PM »

Thanks Loretta!  Beware spinning is really addictive! I try and sell my yarn so I can afford to spin more! 

LOL! thats what happened to all my other crafting addictions. then i forked over a couple hundred for a website to REALLY sell the addiction masterpieces hehehe where has my reasoning gone?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
midnightsky1686
Midnightsky Fibers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2005 12:44:56 AM »

I sell my handspun, but i also buy a lot of yarn from other spinners as well since sometimes I jsut love their colors (or its a good price Wink )

What places do you tend to favor, if any, for buying artisan-type yarns online? etsy and a couple larger online vendors that also stock handspun- kpixie has handspun

How much do you typically expect to pay for a hank of handspun, hand dyed wool or wool blends (like silk, alpaca, etc)?  Do you look to see if it's imported, and does that matter?  norm is about 9-12 for 100% wool 1 ply thick and thin, handdyed with natural or acid dyes, worsted to bulky weight.  Add some to that for blends, expect plied yarns (esp plies that are both handspun) to be much more $$ because they take 2.5 times longer to make.  Generally a thinner yarn will cost less because there is less material involoved, but not much.

And, just what IS the difference between Hand Painted and Hand Dyed?  I've never been really clear on that.
paint- can be handspun or commercial yarn someone has dyed (can be before spinning)
handspun means someone spun the fiber with a spindle or wheel etc

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Midnightsky Fibers
Naturally Dyed Textiles
Blog
Yarns and Fibers Handmade in the Pacific NW
reenie
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2005 05:11:55 PM »

Hi!
I too sell my handspun online---

Hand painted is when you dye the roving more than one color (eg-striping...)
OR when you dye the yarn after it is spun.

I have a tutorial on how to do both handdyeing and hand painted on my reenieart site (link below)

reenie

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Material Whirled- my online shop
http://www.materialwhirled.com
Reenie's Ramblings
http://www.livejournal.com/users/reenieart/
hummingbirdyarnart
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2006 08:37:08 PM »

well I'm starting to try selling my handspun and hand dyed yarn online at www.hummingbird.etsy.com and I think some of my yarn is really beautiful, but I can't seem to get the trafic and customers.  Do you guys have any ideas how I could get people to see my stuff?  I'm starting to get discouraged, but I'm trying to keep my head up because I'm really having fun and think if it really pretty yarn.  I have two angora rabbits and I just got tons (well not really, but it's a lot) of raw alpaca that I will process, dye, and spin. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Maryam Ovaci

I love you, Interlibrary Loan.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2006 09:19:04 PM »

So, what kinds of things do you like to see in handspun? I've recently started spinning, and I'd like to do well enough to eventually sell some of my yarn. is it color? Novelty techniques? Exotic content?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You bring Athena home five minutes after her curfew and not only does Zeus smite you with a lightning bolt, he transforms into a goose and seduces your mom." - Questionable Content

My own tiny knitblog, soon to include spinning!
http://pandabonzai.blogspot.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Kai Lenny Style Challenge: Stand Up Paddleboarding
Styling the Perfect Holiday Party Look
3 Reasons Why Pencil Skirts Are the New Mini
Need to Know: Oversized Sweaters, Google Flight Finder, and Fab Slippers
Cara Delevingne and Taylor Swift Rock Runway Show
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Candy, Anyone?
Crafty Kitchen
Meatless Monday: TVP Jerky

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...