A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,106
Currently Running With Scissors:
748 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Newbie knitter... "st st"? And other burning questions.  (Read 565 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Sammiedora
« on: September 08, 2005 04:14:24 PM »

I've only been knitting for a very short time. My first "real" project is a scarf.

"Using the red/burgundy colour, cast on 40sts and knit in the round for 3 inches (work st st if you are knitting your scarf flat)

Tip: If you use a provisional cast on you can graft the end closed for a neater finish. "

Question 1: Work st st?
Question 2: Knitting your scarf FLAT? What else would I be doing?
Question 3: What's a provisional cast?
Question 4: "Graft the end closed" means...?

Thanks in advance! Cheesy

(http://knitting-and.com/knitting/patterns/scarves/wizard-scarf-1.htm)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DithMer

Have a good one, and learn everything you can.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2005 04:17:30 PM »

1) St st= Stockinette stitch.  It just means knit one row and then purl the next.
2) If you're knitting in the round, you don't ever have to purl rows.  You can just keep knitting and it will become stockinette stitch.  If you're knitting on straight needles, you have to knit one row and purl on row.

I don't know the answer to those other two.  I sorry.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knittinfool
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2005 04:22:03 PM »

YOu have taken on quite the challenge

St St is stockinette meaning knit one row purl one row ( you get a nice flat fabric that way but it will roll on the sides

Knitting flat means not knitting in the round on circulars, using your normal needles going back and fourth
if your working in the round and then your asked to go flat it just means to stop joining your work and go back and forth on the circulars

Provincial Cast-On is casting on with a scrap of yarn so when you take it out you have "live" stitches you can work latter

Grafting is an invisible seaming technique ( also called the kitchener stitch) it is done with a darning needle

Now if it says it's optional and your a new knitter i might try just a normal cast on but its up to you

Check out www.knittinghelp.co m for some great videos
« Last Edit: September 08, 2005 04:24:40 PM by knittinfool » THIS ROCKS   Logged
mims
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2005 04:24:31 PM »

I've only been knitting for a very short time. My first "real" project is a scarf.

"Using the red/burgundy colour, cast on 40sts and knit in the round for 3 inches (work st st if you are knitting your scarf flat)

Tip: If you use a provisional cast on you can graft the end closed for a neater finish. "

Question 1: Work st st?
Question 2: Knitting your scarf FLAT? What else would I be doing?
Question 3: What's a provisional cast?
Question 4: "Graft the end closed" means...?

Thanks in advance! Cheesy

(http://knitting-and.com/knitting/patterns/scarves/wizard-scarf-1.htm)

1.  Stockinette stitch
2.  The pattern says to knit in the round, which actually will result in a tube scarf, although you could use straight needles and make it flat and sew the seems up into a tube later.
3.  well there are a few different ways to cast on (ie. double cast on) I'm not exactly sure what is concidered "provisional" though
4.  ummm... not  quite sure.

I'm fairly new to knitting as well, I suggest this site:  http://www.knittinghelp.com/   VERY helpful!  MUCH MUCH more helpful than I've been, I'm sure.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Les reves sont necessaire a la vie
Sammiedora
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2005 04:27:58 PM »

Thank you guys so much!

Do you really think it's that much of a challenge? I hope not. With crocheting, I didn't know how to read a pattern until about a year after I learned how to actually crochet. I don't want my knitting to be like that.

Thanks again. ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knittinfool
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2005 04:30:55 PM »

Well im preatty slow it took me quite a while but like crochet it just clicks
the challenging part is the prov cast on and the grafting
but some people find it better to work through those challenges and learn from them
good luck show us the finished project
THIS ROCKS   Logged
subloke
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2005 05:32:33 PM »

to add to what has been explained already:

The note about grafting the end closed refers to finishing the scarf off when it is a tube, so that you don't have an open tube.  you can get the same effect by just sewing it closed like it's a seam.  If you had cast on by a provisional method, where you can undo the waste yarn to reveal "live" stitches, (i.e. stitches you can put on a needle and knit) you would be able to graft those together to form a seam which would look neat and finished. 

I don't think this is too challenging!  It sounds like you are moving in the right direction, especially since you are willing to ask questions when something isn't clear to you.  Just knit the way you are going and work through the instructions when you get to them.  If you can crochet from a pattern, you can knit from a pattern.  You just need to learn a different set of abbreviations. 

Pics when you have them?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't be a good example then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

http://yesimadethat.blogspot.com
Sammiedora
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2005 06:39:21 PM »

I will definitely do pictures when I'm done... five million years from now. Hopefully by December third, as that is my Brian's birthday and he's a scarf boy + Harry Potter nerd. ^_^

So, it's a... tube? Hm. Odd. ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knittinfool
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2005 06:42:24 PM »

you will totaly have it done
its done in a tube so the ends dont curl up
keep up the good work
Dawn
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
H&M Designs Sustainable Evening Wear Collection
Man Bids $360k On Princess Diana Gown To Cheer Up Wife
Designer Spotlight: YANA K
How to Embellish a Blouse With Pearls Inspired by Chanel
AG Jeans and Liberty London Collab On Denim Collection
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...