A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,405
Currently Running With Scissors:
793 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Preferred Adhesive?  (Read 2611 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TuffJess

Let's make some Miss-Chief!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2006 08:36:33 PM »

I've gone back and looked at projects that I worked on maybe 5 years ago with rubber cement, and it's totally discolored the paper!  Totally sad.

I agree that the glue dots are a good idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Do something pretty while you can" --Belle and Sebastian

Buy Miss Chief!
http://www.misschiefshop.com
headspider
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2006 02:04:32 PM »

When I worked in a frame store we had this great kind of  archival adhesive strip things and I haven't been able to find them anywhere since. That stuff was amazing and totally safe to use. It was like 2 sided tape without the tape part, just the glue. The backing was brown waxed paper. Has anyone else used this?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Craftywife
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2006 08:36:11 AM »

I've recently gotten into scrapbooking myself (my husband rolls his eyes whenever I talk about it; he thinks it's a gateway craft to "Bless This House" doilies!  Cheesy) and I tried that scrapbook adhesive runner that angelofmusic posted.  It didn't work out at all!  Nothing would stick to my photos, but it would stick to the cardboard box that I tried it out on.  Sooooo...off to the craft store to find something else!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lady dee
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2006 12:36:56 PM »

i had problems with the adhesive runner thing too.  it just didn't want to work.  maybe i'm doing it wrong?  i don't know.  i just stick with the glue sticks...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dee of AnnDeeScraps (two best friends making fun stuff together)

Pics of stuff i've created: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ladydee/sets/731194/
aromano101
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2006 02:07:24 PM »

That adhesive inthe purple container by 3M is good.... once you can figure out EXACTLY how much pressure to use. I don't dig it all that much.

I use a glue stick and Photo mounting squares.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Alicia
love_me

it's better to be looked over than overlooked

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2006 09:43:15 PM »

i have found that with glue sticks, sometimes the stick evaporates or something and my pictures go sliding around after a few months. my favorite adhesives are the zigzag runner or something like that. can't exactly remember the name. it's about $3 at walmart with $2 refills. i also like glue dots. but with the dots, they are super sticky and you can't remove them w/o ruining something on your page. my favorite adhesive ever would have to be the xyrons. i only have the 150, which is good for little embellishments. it's about $8, with the refills around $4. if you are considering getting really into scrapbooking, i would recommend looking at the bigger xyrons, but they are quite expensive. living on a college bidget, i find that all the stuff i mentioned that i have works wonderfully.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if wishes were horses, i'd own a ranch
if wishes were carbon monoxide gas, i'd be dead
cherryrose
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2006 02:14:39 AM »

I'm new to scrapbooking, and I wondered, how can you see if glue is acid-free or not?
 I don't know if I can buy al the things you named because I don't live in America or something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*I'm up for personal swaps!*
http://www.wists.com/cherryrose
angelofmusic

Cinderella's Castle: from the Rose Garden

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2006 11:41:03 AM »

I'm new to scrapbooking, and I wondered, how can you see if glue is acid-free or not?
 I don't know if I can buy al the things you named because I don't live in America or something.
I personally don't know of any way to tell by looking at the adhesive (although you can tell if the paper is like 50 years old because it will be yellowed and crumbly if the adhesive wasn't acid free).  It's just best to rely on what the product packaging says.  As for not being able to buy what was mentioned: I know when I lived in England, I found some hobby shops that carried acid-free adhesive.  In addition, I bought some acid-free gluesticks from a stationary shop.  You could also buy your adhesive online and have it shipped to you, as most companies will do worldwide shipping.  Hope this helps.  Happy cropping!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Frogs have it easy...they can eat what bugs them!
ruby_soho

That's what she said.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2006 06:10:54 PM »

A lot of times the adhesives will say if they're acid free - nowadays the vast majority (at least the ones meant for scrapbooking) are. 

I use plain ol' gluestick for most things, and the little sticky adhesive dots for precious things.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i care about you a homemade oven mitt's worth.
girlygirl
It's ho-made

I love chocolate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2006 10:04:59 AM »

I've been scrapbooking for about 7 years, and have been through a lot of different types of adhesive, but I found Tombow and love that the most.  They make two kinds; permanent, and temporary.  I buy it by the carton full.  I used to use gluesticks too, but when I started looking through some of my older scrapbooks recently, the pictures and papers were coming off the page.  When I need to adhere something heavy like metal, I use SU's crystal effects.  I only use archival safe products. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'll be in my bedroom, making no noise and pretending I don't exist."
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Crop with Perspective
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Straighten with the Measure Tool
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Automate Crop and Straighten
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Crop with the Marquee Tool
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Crop with the Crop Tool
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...