A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,582
Currently Running With Scissors:
624 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 18
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Lined woven magazine handbag  (Read 198312 times)
Tags for this thread: magazine_purse , bag , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

spamantha
« Reply #60 on: October 27, 2005 02:34:55 PM »

FANTASTIC!  I am so gonna try this!  Now, I can feel less guilty about that trashy people magazine subscription i pretend not to have...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life is better in funky shoes!
flaky

A fundamentally amoral use of faux fur.

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 29, 2005 11:09:49 AM »

I tried this a little differently & although frustrating, found a way to do this without having to add an extra strip.  I used the Chico's catalog & made long strips across two pages.  I made two strips double length.  Then when I started weaving, I started with the two double-length strips in the middle, secured them with tape on the wrong side.  & folded everything up to weave around in circles.  The first row was completely aggravating but once I got a handle on things it worked out really well. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chelbelle
« Reply #62 on: October 30, 2005 11:09:39 PM »

holy crap i love these things, i made my first one (will post pics soon) and I already have 3 people that want to buy them from me, and my cousin is taking the first one to her high school where i think it may just be a hit. thanks soooo much for posting your idea, looks like i am going to make some money off of it Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
faeriegirlie

"Follow your wishing heart"

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 31, 2005 05:33:42 AM »

I tried it myself today in a reduced size. This pencil case is what came out of it. I lined it too. I sewed the lining and the magazine weave in the machine--but I don't recommend it. I broke the needle twice! Here are the pictures....Thanks again!

I had a few thoughts on this problem....

I bet if you used a leather needle for your sewing machine and went pretty slowly, you could keep from breaking the needle.  Also, having sewn through things that were glued in place originally in the past, I discovered that stopping every few inches and wiping off the needle keeps glue from building up on it.  When the glue builds up, the needle starts sticking in what your sewing and breaks.  The packing tape might have a similar effect, I'm not sure.

Everyone's purses and bags look so fantastic!  I can't wait to try this project too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"rise and drink your bliss"
rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2013" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: October 31, 2005 05:45:18 AM »

holy crap i love these things, i made my first one (will post pics soon) and I already have 3 people that want to buy them from me, and my cousin is taking the first one to her high school where i think it may just be a hit. thanks soooo much for posting your idea, looks like i am going to make some money off of it Smiley

Make sure you do post some pictures! I am making four of these for Christmas gifts for the "girls" in my family. I asked everyone what color they wore the most of, and then used that color predominately in the bag I made for them. My sister wins with the best color...she said sagey green, and I mixed that with some orange for a fantastic combination. My mom chose pink. Her bag is cute, but looks like Easter to me. My SIL said multi-colored. For my MIL, who's a landscape designer, I'm going to use all pages with plants and flowers on them. I think she'll get a kick out of that. As soon as I can get find my camera (my daughter has absconded with it again) I'll post pics of these.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Like it? Check out my newly re-opened Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
My blog: junk&stuff
Pinterest
gingerquilts
« Reply #65 on: October 31, 2005 06:25:50 AM »

Post pics!  Post pics!  I wanna see.  Maybe you could fill the pink one with some easter grass and jellybeans.   Or, maybe not.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: October 31, 2005 07:03:05 AM »

How about not.

I have to get my hands back on my camera before I can post. There's no way I'll ever find it in that sty of a room my daughter lives in. I checked all the surface areas, but I refuse to go deep in there. It's scary.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Like it? Check out my newly re-opened Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
Pinterest
chelbelle
« Reply #67 on: October 31, 2005 08:07:57 AM »

haha sounds like my room i cant find anything in here. i will definitely post some pictures when i get the bag back from my cousin.  I threw in a simple lining and some easy handles just for show so the girls at school could see what it will basically look like.  I am super excited about this
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: October 31, 2005 01:53:05 PM »

Here are the four bags I mentioned in my earlier post.

The color's not showing up the greatest in the photo, but you sort of get the idea. My favorite is the one for my sis (upper left corner). Sadly, it got the most washed out in the photo. I also like the one for my MIL (bottom right corner). It is all photos of gardens, flowers, and yard art. I think she will love taking this to work at the nursery and when she does landscape plans for clients.

None of these are lined or have handles yet; that's the next step...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest
gingerquilts
« Reply #69 on: October 31, 2005 06:24:48 PM »

Love the bags!  Thanks for posting pics.  Your family will love them and bow to your creativeness.  Your Mom's doesn't look eastery enough for the easter grass after all.  Are you using the same kind of handles?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 18 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
7 Fabulous Winter Beauty Fixes
The Monday Makeover - Double Braid Tutorial
The Monday Makeover - Full Brow Tutorial
Day to Night Makeup Tutorial with Cynthia Rowley Beauty
Birchbox Sneak Peek: November 2013
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...