A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,609
Currently Running With Scissors:
530 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: gluten free beef dishes  (Read 1274 times)
Tags for this thread: gluten_free  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

FluffyMonkey
i feel my fate in what i cannot fear

The creative mind plays with what it loves

View Profile
« on: September 07, 2005 12:36:07 PM »

My husband and I are on a shoe-string diet and I'm gluten intolerant. That means that anything made with wheat or barley is out for me. That means no pasta (I know there's gluten-free pasta, but I can't get that at the moment), no bread, and nothing malted.

Mr. Fluff just threw a new stipulation at me, too. He's tired of chicken. "Give me some ground beef or something!" he says.

"Sure," I say, but I don't have many recipes involving beef.

I know you are all very creative and fantastic and I can't wait to see what advice you come up with. I don't want to feed him tacos all the time!

Fluffy Monkey
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"There are two kinds of strengths: the strength to lead, and the strength to follow; the strength to control, and the strength to yield. There are two kinds of power: the power to strip another's soul bare, and the power to stand naked."
~Yaldah Tovah

On Ravelry! Look me up; there I'm baela.
Conley
I Poke You With Sticks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2005 12:42:29 PM »

I have gluten intolerant Canadian friends and they eat alot of stir fry made w/ wheat free soy sauce.
They use alot of:
Rice Noodles
Rice
Veggies
Beef/Chicken/Pork/Shrimp

So, go stir fry- at least it ain't tacos
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog    http://stephieface.wordpress.com
Ravelry    http://www.ravelry.com/people/Stephieface

2/18/12 - I no longer have the directions for wrapped pens, I lost them several years ago. To obtain them for yourself, do like I did, contact DMC threads directly and ask for them.
lusterbunny
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2005 12:43:20 PM »

You could make a beef stew with potatoes and carrots as the starch
Shredded beef burritos only in a corn tortilla wrap
Cook cubed beef with mushrooms, a little tomatoes, onions, spices ( your preference) if you can swing it red wine.  Cook it down till the meat falls apart and add a little sour cream to make it creamy. Serve over rice
Beef stir fry with vegetables over rice
Shepard's pie since it has mashed potatoes instead of wheat
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my naughty tiles at www.lusterbunny.ets y.com
FluffyMonkey

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2005 01:37:15 PM »

That sounds great so far!

I have made shepherd's pie before and it was really good. Actually, it was even better re-heated, lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"There are two kinds of strengths: the strength to lead, and the strength to follow; the strength to control, and the strength to yield. There are two kinds of power: the power to strip another's soul bare, and the power to stand naked."
~Yaldah Tovah

stickysweetfun

only slightly faster than a one-legged armadillo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2005 01:09:12 PM »

Pot roast!  I am also on a very tight budget, so I get a nice chunk of beef roast (there is almost always something roastable on sale) and use a BIG roasting pan with a ton of veggies (so a serving equals about 4-6 oz. of meat and a bunch of lovely roasted veggies) and then I freeze what we won't eat in the next few days.  I use this recipe as my framework - I never follow recipes exactly! --> http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_127,00.html

Italian sausage spaghetti sauce!  Saute/grill 2-3 (mild italian) sausages until just done and set aside, drain most of fat from pan.  Saute chopped onions, mushrooms, garlic (and bell peppers, if you like 'em).  Remove from heat.  Chop sausages (I cut 'em in half lengthwise, and then chop - you can stretch the smaller pieces more  Wink), add to sauteed veggies.  Then plop in a jar or two of pre-made spag. sauce (depending on how much sausage/vegs you have), and let simmer for 15-20 minutes.  Almost instant fancy-schmancy homemade spaghetti sauce!  Also, freeze the excess.  There will be excess.

Hmmm...  what else?  Fajitas with corn tortillas.  Something like moo shu beef (the Chinese dish, with the pancakes and plum sauce - yum!) with cabbage leaves in place of pancakes?  I've also baked very small roasts (or a small but nice, thick steak), and served them sliced under a ton of sauteed mushrooms and onions (and with another vegetable).

Also being on a very tight budget, I don't have a ton of beef recipes either.  I'm interested to see what everyone suggests!
My DBF and I have pretty much been living out of the freezer, lately.  I spend a few days cooking up a storm, always in HUGE batches, and freeze it in 3-4 portion containers.  I can make $60 worth of groceries stretch almost two weeks this way! 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

FluffyMonkey

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2005 12:52:13 PM »

what could i do with ground beef? i have some, and today, he wants something "different" . . . . would one of the roast recipes work with that?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Yaldah Tovah

Conley
I Poke You With Sticks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2005 01:54:19 PM »

Ground Beef you could totally pull off some shepherd's pie, easy peasy.... My mom made SP on down on our luck weeks (you know when you don't have alot of spare money) Her's was real simple. Just brown the ground beef, add some onion, maybe green pepper if you like, some garlic or in a pinch you can use savory brown beef gravy. and add stuff to that- its to keep the meat moist without turning it into soup. Then you coat the bottom of a pan with olive oil spray or whatever you prefer and dump the beef mixture in. Then you add mashed potatoes wether from a box or fresh and smear that on top completely.
Now comes the part where you feel liek a chef.....

Wether you add it to the mashed potatoes or the beef you also add carrots, peas, green beans if you wish, standard stew veggies except the tomatoes since they make the whole thing wet. You can also add some shredded cheddar cheese to the top (not too much, its not nachos). Then pop that bad boy in the oven at 350 for about 20min... keep an eye on it- you don't have to worry too much about making sure its safe since everything is pretty much cooked before you even put it in the pan. Its in  the oven to melt the cheese and cook the veggies you added, and voila you are done. Some people even add a crust at the bottom to complete the whole "pie" feel, so unless you can manage a gluten free non sweet crust I'd just go crustless.

Good luck

Oh! You can also make your own hamburger helper by adding sauce and noodles to browned ground beef 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog    http://stephieface.wordpress.com
Ravelry    http://www.ravelry.com/people/Stephieface

2/18/12 - I no longer have the directions for wrapped pens, I lost them several years ago. To obtain them for yourself, do like I did, contact DMC threads directly and ask for them.
FluffyMonkey

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2005 06:48:41 PM »

mmms . . . that easy-peasy SP sounds awesome. i have a recipe for SP, but it's WAY too involved and difficult. this one is much better!

i actually ended up doing a stew. i've never made stew before, but it was really good.

Here's what I did:
I browned two and a quarter pounds of ground beef.

While that was going on, I tossed half a bag of chopped baby carrots, three or four peeled potatoes, and chopped red onions (actually almost pureed!) into a stock pot and dumped in a can and a half of beef broth (swansons, yeah baby!) plus one more can of water in after. I set that to boil while I made a mixture of 1 tblsp corn starch and 3 tsp COLD water. When the stew was boiling, I stirred in the cornstarch mixture. Somewhere back in there I tossed in the beef.

I let it simmer for around half an hour and sprinkled in paprika, ground cumin, salt, and pepper, then served it with steamed green beans. BIG HIT!

Fluffy Monkey
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Yaldah Tovah

mountaingrl
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2008 12:20:38 AM »

even though this was posted in 2005 i will still reply. never know who is still looking for a gluten free beef meal
I recently bought a minute rice cookbook at the check out at walmart and a lot of the recipes are gluten free
I've tried these two so far and both have been great
This is a rice lasagna
http://www.minuterice.com/en-us/recipes/2796/RiceLasagna.aspx
Tex Mex Bake
http://www.minuterice.com/en-us/recipes/2806/TexMexBake.aspx
(for this one it calls for a processed cheese but we used a shredded cheese to make it a little healthier and it turned out just fine)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Hellga
Shiny and Cool!

^ Dumbo Octopus ^

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2008 10:56:10 PM »

My mom always made Tamale Pie and we all loooved it.

It consisted of hamburger and sausage cooked together with chili powder/taco seasoning type stuff, then put in a casserole dish or cake pan with black olives, corn, and canned tomatoes. Mix it all together, then pour cornbread dough (batter? i've never made it) over top and then add cheese to the top of that. Bake till the cornbread is done, slice, scoop, and eat with those huuuge corn chips that come in a paper bag.

Yum. Seriously.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out the unofficial craftster chat! Click Here! Alternatively, using IRC, join server irc.aniverse.com and then join the #craftster channel!
Personal Swaps: I am looking for wool yarn for crocheting and felting. Want to swap?
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Iron On Transfer Patterns
How to Pick Scrapbook Supplies
How to Make a Scrapbook
How to Make Christmas Decorations
How to Put Together a Black Collage
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...