A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,576
Currently Running With Scissors:
763 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hockey skates baby booties w/ photo and *pattern*  (Read 138717 times)
Tags for this thread: pattern , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

KungPow

shiny disco balls

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2005 03:33:29 PM »

I'm making these for my new baby brother RIGHT THIS SECOND!!!

My dad is a big hockey fanatic (as am I like any good Canadian girl) and these are a MUST!

Thanks for the great pattern!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rachillsk8
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2005 07:47:56 AM »

Cute!  And you could easily do that in white or tan, and modify the blade a tad, and make it a figure skate (this coming from a figure skating coach Smiley)...

Now I need to find a baby to knit that for...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jane2
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2005 10:17:53 AM »

OK, OK I admit I'm slow.

I haven't been able to figure out how the booties "work" with the blade underneath the foot part of the boot.
But I guess it's not really like the wearer of the booties is going to be walking at all. Right?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
subloke
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2006 10:54:08 AM »

So, I have started these no less than 4 times, but kept changing my mind about the yarn/sizing/etc.  My Olympic Knitting is causing heartache and headache at the moment, so, while watching the first Canadian Men's Olympic Hockey game, I knit these.  (Plus I'm hoping to go see the recipients this weekend...)

For my twin nephews:  (one more pair to go)

I used Bernat Sox and US3's.  For the blade I doubled the yarn, and I cast on 20, rather than the 15 in the pattern.  I stitched the blades to the bottom a little short of the ends of the boot so that the blade would curve a little bit, like a real skate.  (I am such a 1) Canadian; 2) Geek; 3) Hockey fan; 4) all of the above)

I wanted to put a Flaming C on the side (I live in Calgary and am a Flames fan) which would bug my brother, the dad of the recipients, since he lives in Edmonton and is an Oilers freak fan, but I haven't worked that out... 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't be a good example then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

http://yesimadethat.blogspot.com
sunflowerfairy
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2006 06:53:49 AM »

Yeah!!!!!

I love it!

They look great. I did a pair for my son and had to rip the toe THREE times because his feet are so big!  Grin

Now if I could just make a hockey helmet pattern.
lol

Thanks for posting the photos.

And for giving me credit in your blog. I've never made it on to a blog before!  Cool
Sunflowerfairy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

subloke
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2006 11:48:01 AM »

Thanks for posting the photos.
And for giving me credit in your blog. I've never made it on to a blog before!  Cool
Sunflowerfairy

No Problem!  It was such a great idea, I wanted to give credit where it was deservedly due!  I've had lots of positive comments on them (on the blog and in person) and I can't wait to give them to the boys.  They themselves might not be as excited but their parents will be...

Now that you said "hockey helmet" I'm going to be thinking about that for the rest of the day.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

onetomatotwo

(former username: kaesea)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2006 12:02:54 PM »

I've been planning on making these booties since I first saw your post... the baby in question is due next month, so now it's finally crunch time! Meanwhile, when I first mentioned this to my boyfriend (it's his brother's baby), we speculated about how great it would be to also make... a helmet!

I think the "look" of a helmet could be easily achieved with a plain black baby hat and some short, wide earflaps. The real key is getting the CCM (or Bauer, or whatever your favorite brand... I'm a CCM girl myself) logo on the front. Intarsia? A sewn on patch? Hmmmm....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I live on the west coast. She lives on the east coast. We discuss crafts in between. Right here: Trans-craft-inental.
subloke
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2006 06:24:37 PM »

I got to deliver the Hockey Skates on the weekend (in time for the Canadian Women to win Gold!!).  My brother and sister-in-law loved them, and, although they didn't verbalize their sentiments, I think the boys liked them too.

This is the ONLY picture I was able to get of the both of them, with the booties on, when they weren't kicking 100mph. 

(The track suits made me think of the kids in The Royal Tenenbaums.  I want to make them afro wigs)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sunflowerfairy
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2006 05:55:09 AM »

They are adorable!!!!!

I love how it looks like the right one is giving the left one a punch in the face while the other is grabbing for the jersey and getting a wind up ready....So very hockey.  Wink Cheesy

Congrats with the gold win too. We got bronze, which is better than what the men will do- I'm sure.

How you can get a team of men (who each make millions of dollars playing hockey) together and have them lose repeatedly is beyond me.   Roll Eyes

Anyways, off my rant....

The little ones are precious. Thanks so much for posting the photo. I love it!

Sunflowerfairy

THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitrat
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2006 02:07:21 PM »

ha ha I'm enjoying reading all this, I just finished a pair of little ones for a newborn. I wanted to post photos last night but my camera died, I will as soon as I can... The funny thing is that I am also in Calgary, and also knitting them for an Oilers fan in Edmonton Cheesy Freaky... and I was also thinking about trying to put an oilers logo on the side but don't know how to go about it, subloke if you work something out please please share...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Capture Footage in Premiere Pro CS5
Watch This Instead Review of The Last Airbender
Learn Premiere Pro CS5 Users Interface
What a Grip Does on a Film Set
How to Key in Premiere Pro CS5
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...