A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,589
Currently Running With Scissors:
785 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: YAY! Crystal 'flowers'! (now with new pictures & link to tutorial)  (Read 4134 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Madmatigan79

Back by popular demand...

View Profile
« on: September 07, 2005 12:37:14 AM »

After a month of beading and spinning wire and then beading and spinning some more, we (my mom & I) have finally finished off my wedding 'flowers'.

After seeing crystal bouquets online for a ridiculous sum of money I, craftster that I am, decided to try and make them myself. I used the tutorial from this site:

http://www.geocities.com/chris_breecher/beadbouquets.html

With 300 "stems" of Swarovski beads (crystal, amethyst, topaz & peridot - the colours in my dress) spun onto 28-gauge wire, we created this:

detail:

In natural light, the crystals are like a tiny explosion of colour and sparkling light. And HEAVY! Holy crap! I won't be tossing this bouquet (unless I want to give some unsuspecting guest a massive head trauma)!

We also made bouquets for the bridesmaids which are smaller (140 stems each) and corsages/boutonnieres for groomsmen, parents, etc. If anyone has any questions about the tutorial (not mine!), let me know!

EDIT: Here are some pictures from the 'big day'!

Close up of my maid of honour's bouquet:

Close up of a boutonniere:

edit: My mom & I worked on this project on and off over the summer so it took a few months to get everything done. However, I would guess that if you had a few more people helping out, you could set up a sort of 'assembly line' and get this done over a long weekend. To get an idea of time, we would set up in front of the t.v. at my mom's house - we could each get about 20-25 stems done during a 1-hour program. It probably took me an hour to assemble each of the bridesmaids' bouquets (longer for my own because it was bigger and I was a lot more particular about getting it 'just right'). My mother, mother-in-law, bridesmaid & I put all of the boutonnieres together in an evening (maybe 2 or 3 hours to make all 12 bouts).

edit: It probably cost us about $300 (CAD) in supplies to do 3 bouquets and 12 boutonniers - about what it would have cost us if we had gone with fresh flowers from one of the florists in town. The cost estimate isn't totally accurate, as we have quite a few beads and a couple spools of wire, ribbon, etc left over (but all the packages are opened, so unreturnable). We ordered the crystals from Astral Beads (http://www.astralbeads.com/). Good prices and customer service, so I recommend them.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2006 12:49:48 AM by Madmatigan79 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Happychick
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2005 03:03:55 AM »

Oh wow, thats is abseloutely gorgeous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ace
andthen some stuff

i love kitty kisses.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2005 04:23:51 AM »

that is awesome

im visualizing the "bling factor"

and mildly druling at the thought
THIS ROCKS   Logged

.....in bed
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2005 09:38:27 AM »

This is so pretty I think I'll make one and PRETEND I'm getting married.  Cheesy  Maybe I can make something else out of it.  I'm just not sure I can resist, so I'd better start thinking about what else it could be used for.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
Madmatigan79

Back by popular demand...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2005 10:10:32 AM »

Maybe I can make something else out of it.  I'm just not sure I can resist, so I'd better start thinking about what else it could be used for.

It is really heavy and, at higher velocities, really hurts (against our better judgement, my friend & I were practicing tossing the bouquet - she missed and it whipped her in the face...she had a nasty red mark for awhile - OUCH!).

Maybe you could use it to fight ninjas!!  Grin

(Thanks for the compliments, everyone!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kristiface
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2005 09:48:26 AM »

I LOVE your "bouquet!"  And if I were going for crystals instead of pearls on my dress I would totally think about copying you!  (Except that I wouldn't because I just DON'T have the patience to learn that skill!). 

Is it the crystals that are heavy?  or the wire?  or both?  I'm thinking of making a cake topper similar to one I've seen elsewhere with the crystals glued to something like balsa wood (think really thin wood, shaped in a "W" covered in crystals sitting on top of my cake!).  I'm not sure if using the thinner wood would make the cake topper lighter, or if I'd need to find a way to displace the weight (like on a cardboard or wooden platform of sorts). 

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Joy is but the sign that creative emotion is fulfilling its purpose.
-- Charles Du Bos
skye691
Fredrick VonHugleburg

I haven't died yet.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2005 03:58:52 PM »

that's so amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The earth, stained with the blood of a thousand dying soldiers, weeps as she welcomes them home.

http://www.tickercentral.com/view/3wl9/1
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2005 04:14:29 PM »

Kristiface, you could use pearls.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
Alexa_Angel
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2005 09:20:21 PM »

Wow! That's gorgeous and quite original. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived, and lived well. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
redheadgeek
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2005 05:00:25 PM »

that's gorgeous  How long did it take you to finish that off?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's a fine line between a "hobby" and a "mental illness"
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Best Front Row Fashion at Paris Haute Couture Week
How to Shop at Thrift Stores
Winter High Street Lookbook
How to Make Your Own Super Bowl Team Tee
Spotted: Kristen Stewart in Plaid - Twice!
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...