A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,171
Currently Running With Scissors:
610 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crockpot Meal Ideas  (Read 3548 times)
Tags for this thread: crockpot  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Midtowner

Where did I put that needle/bead/yarn...

View Profile
« on: April 23, 2004 08:28:32 AM »

I am in need of some crockpot recipes that are not your traditional crockpot fare.  

Does anyone have any favorite recipes that are not the standard crockpot recipes of the last 50 years?  

We like different ethnic foods in my house, and don't eat a whole lot of meat. That's pretty much the opposite of most the crockpot cookbooks I find.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
flamgirlant
just your average crafty broad

I may be a woman but I ain't no lady

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2004 10:20:35 AM »

I know you said you don't eat a whole lot of meat, but when I make this I usually use less pork and more veggies.  It's really really good!!  And the lime is perfect with it.

Thai-Style Pork Stew

Stew:
2 pounds boned pork loin, cut into 4 pieces
2 cups (1 x 1/4-inch) julienne-cut red bell pepper
1/4 cup teriyaki sauce
2 tablespoons rice or white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter

Remaining ingredients:
6 cups hot cooked basmati rice
1/2 cup chopped green onions
2 tablespoons chopped dry-roasted peanuts
8 lime wedges

To prepare stew, trim fat from pork. Place pork and next 5 ingredients (pork through garlic) in an electric slow cooker. Cover with lid,
and cook on low-heat setting for 8 hours. Remove pork from slow cooker, and coarsely chop. Add peanut butter to liquid in slow cooker;
stir well. Stir in pork.

Combine stew and rice in a large bowl. Top each serving with onions and peanuts; serve with lime wedges.

Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 cup stew, 1 tablespoon green onions, about 1/2 teaspoon peanuts, and 1 lime wedge)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2004 10:25:33 AM by flamgirlant » THIS ROCKS   Logged

cameras4toys

"Tears are the orgasm of laughter!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2004 12:20:11 PM »

I know you said you don't eat a whole lot of meat, but when I make this I usually use less pork and more veggies.  It's really really good!!  And the lime is perfect with it.

Thai-Style Pork Stew

Stew:
2 pounds boned pork loin, cut into 4 pieces
2 cups (1 x 1/4-inch) julienne-cut red bell pepper
1/4 cup teriyaki sauce
2 tablespoons rice or white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter

Remaining ingredients:
6 cups hot cooked basmati rice
1/2 cup chopped green onions
2 tablespoons chopped dry-roasted peanuts
8 lime wedges

To prepare stew, trim fat from pork. Place pork and next 5 ingredients (pork through garlic) in an electric slow cooker. Cover with lid,
and cook on low-heat setting for 8 hours. Remove pork from slow cooker, and coarsely chop. Add peanut butter to liquid in slow cooker;
stir well. Stir in pork.

Combine stew and rice in a large bowl. Top each serving with onions and peanuts; serve with lime wedges.

Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 cup stew, 1 tablespoon green onions, about 1/2 teaspoon peanuts, and 1 lime wedge)

I made this yesterday - it is very tasty and I am eating it right now for lunch.

I would just add some sauteed onions to the pot, I don't know what else.  I'd definitly make it again if pork goes on sale.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

justjenn

www.justjennrants.blogspot.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2004 12:47:49 PM »

I usually just buy a tri-tip or brisket, and throw it in the crock pot with veggies (carrots/onions/beans) and some chopped up potatoes. Add some spices and the most important ingredient -- APPLE JUICE. It really tenderizes the meat and gives it a great flavor!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ottseetotsee
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2004 02:40:36 PM »

You've probably come up with a whole load of recipes by now, but I just discovered this thread today. Just in case you peek back, or someone else stumbles into it like I did, I thought I'd post my favorite crock recipe.

I am not a vegetarian, but I don't eat much meat; and I don't know why, I just don't care for meat cooked in the crock for some reason.

Spicy Coconut Corn Chowder
1. Open up three cans of coconut milk. One thing I've learned: buy Thai coconut milk. It just is better. Some of the Thai coconut milks are better than others, but if you opt for Thai, you're headed in the right direction. Dump 'em in the crock, with a bouillion cube (vegetable or chicken)
2. Add a package of frozen white corn. Go with a tender corn, if you can
3. Add a good sized pile of chopped cilantro
4. Add a healthy dash of chili powder
5. Add a teaspoon of sugar
6. Add some ginger
7. I like to cut a lemon or a lime in half (gotta wash it first), squeeze the juice out of it, and place the fruit in the soup, too
8. I also like to take a small handful of dried chili peppers, crumble them up, and throw them in, too. They're usually pretty damn hot, but as long as you don't eat too many of them (if you're sensitive to the heat), you should be okay. Also, don't touch your eyes or anything after crumbling the dried chili peppers (if you can't find the dried peppers in your area, substitute fresh, frozen canned -- whichever -- hot peppers you do have).
9. Cook for a few hours.
10. Taste it, and see what you think. Adjust spices accordingly. Sometimes all you need is a bit more sugar, believe it or not.
11. Optional: you might want to pour half of the soup into your blender, and puree until it's really smooth. Pour the puree back into the soup.
I like it smooth, but I also like the sensation of biting into little bits of corn, too, so I sometimes opt for a half-pureed, half unpureed soup.
12. Serve. Garnish with more cilantro, chili powder, crumbled chili peppers, finely shredded carrot, etc.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

the way to create art
is to burn and destroy ordinary concepts
and to substitute them with new truths
that run down from the top of the head
and out from the heart.
- Charles Bukowski
hillarybillary
your a pansy I'm a cowboy....

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2004 02:59:22 PM »

i have this great cook book you can probably get out of the library called fix it and forget it and it has like 400 recipes or something like it for crockpots!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bevrockin

How y'all doin, everbuddy?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2004 01:02:00 PM »

This is my FAVORITE crockpot recipe.  It is not what I would call exotic but it is delicious!

4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
    1 envelope dry Italian salad dressing mix
    1/4 cup water
    8 oz. cream cheese, softened
    1 can cream of chicken soup, undiluted
    4 oz. can mushroom stems and pieces, drained
    Hot cooked rice or pasta

Place the chicken breast halves in a crock pot. Combine the Italian
 dressing mix and water; mix until smooth, and pour over top of
 chicken. Cover and cook on low for 3 hours. Combine the cream cheese
 and soup until smooth and blended. Stir in mushroom pieces. Pour soup
 mixture over chicken. Cook 1 hour more or until chicken is cooked
 through. Serve over hot cooked rice or pasta.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aleryan

proof that I really am a birdbrain

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2004 12:37:31 AM »

bevrockin, I love that recipe too!  HillaryBillary, I check out that cookbook from the library too!  What a small world it is!  Anywho..when I'm looking for a crockpot recipe this is one of the best sites on the web.  The dump cake is great!  I like to have both my crockpots going at once, the large one with a one pot meal and the smaller one with dessert.  Mmmmm.....

http://southernfood.about.com/library/crock/blcpidx.htm

http://busycooks.about.com/library/weekly/blcrockarticles.htm?terms=crockpot
THIS ROCKS   Logged
zephren
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2005 06:31:42 PM »

I just discovered the glory of the crock pot this week. I got one way back when I graduated high school and Ive never opened the thing, but Ive been cooking with it for about a week and its great. Viva la crock pot!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TragicHitori
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2005 06:16:06 PM »

I just bought my mom an early Valentine's day gift --- a crockpot!
Are there any *really good* recipe books besides 'Fix it and Forget it' that you would recommend? 
Especially for beginners.. or even if it just has absolutely awesome recipes in it.
We're so excited to start using it! 
Thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Cook Grilled Tuna with Green Olive Relish
How to Prepare Bagels With Three Fillings
How to Cook Jambalaya
How to Cook Salt Beef
How to Bake Homemade Bagels
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...