A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,728
Currently Running With Scissors:
564 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Care Package for New Widow  (Read 1278 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SprocketJones
« on: September 06, 2005 10:40:04 AM »

I have a co-worker that just lost her husband, she's only 30, he was only 33 - he battled cancer for the past 14 months and passed away last week kind of unexpectedly - he was battling pretty well....

any ideas on a care package that I could send to her?  I've thought of like a bath and body basket - but I kind of want something meaningful too - any ideas?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2005 06:27:20 AM by SprocketJones » THIS ROCKS   Logged

The strangest secret in the world is that you become what you think about.  Earl Nightingale

sprocketjones.etsy.com
purplepooh

Ha cha cha cha chaaaaa! Delicious!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2005 11:01:28 AM »

That is super hard Sad  The things I can think of off the top of my head:

a journal for recording thoughts and venting
some kind of craft kit, a needlepoint or something else to do
maybe some prepared meals so she wouldn't have to worry about cooking

She might not want to feel *too* pampered.  Something nice might be to set up a dinner date with her once in awhile, check in, talk, just be social.  I have heard that the daytime is usually ok because you're working, but the nights are bad because you realize you are alone Sad She might want the company more than anything.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SprocketJones
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2005 01:01:55 PM »

She's staying with her brother for a few weeks, so I was thinking that I could send her something in the way of a care package.  While he was in chemo she had asked if I could teach her to knit, to make chemo hats for patients, but I didn't know if that would be too painful for her to want to learn how to knit now....

the journal is a good idea....and as soon as she gets back into town I will definitely set up time to be with her - but until she gets back I wanted to send a little something other than just the sympathy card.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The strangest secret in the world is that you become what you think about.  Earl Nightingale

sprocketjones.etsy.com
kewlchik
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2005 12:17:17 PM »

My mom received the "Purpose Driven Life" daily inspiration book when my dad died, and she told me how much it really helped her. They sell them for $9.95 here at Wal Mart.She might need some numbers of support groups, if there are any in your area, you could print them out for her to have, just in case she doesn't have them. Just be a good friend to her. Check on her and let her know you are there if she just needs to talk, or if she wants to get out for the day. What a good friend you are for thinking of her and trying to find an appropriate gift.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lv2ScrpBk
-~Alicia Ann~-

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2005 04:39:28 PM »

How about a promise to mow her lawn for a few weeks or help her out shoveling snow in the winter. I think a lot of the time we take for granted how much out signifigant others help out. I'm sorry that this happened. But I really think that just being her friend right now is the best you can do.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you get the chance to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance."<br /><br />"To Err is Human, To Forgive is Devine"
SprocketJones
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2005 12:24:54 PM »

Thanks for the great suggestions - A Purpose Driven life is an excellent idea.... Thank you.
I copped out (as much as it doesn't really sound all that bad) and sent her gift certificates for a massage, a facial and a reflexology appt. in her home town - from what it sounds like she's going to be there for a few more weeks.  If anyone thinks of something else until she comes back to the area  - let me know....

Stacie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sprocketjones.etsy.com
GloryB
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I have a sewing machine, and I know how to use it

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2005 12:57:20 PM »

My husband passed away 15 months ago, after a 3 1/2 year illness.  I just wanted to left alone for a while, to gether my thoughts, and to just relax.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2005 12:59:22 PM by GloryB » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What Are Pandan Leaves
What Is Miso
What is Mirin
What Are Meyer Lemons
What Are Kaiw Sprouts
Latest Blog Articles
October 2, 2014 Featured Projects
Spotlight on: Washi Tape
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...