A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,116
Currently Running With Scissors:
414 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fitz online Patterns. Quick fix. All aboard thats coming aboard!  (Read 2755 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

seampoints
« on: September 06, 2005 07:04:57 AM »

So I've been thinking about something like this dress for a while:

http://www.fitzpatterns.com/Pages/MIMI/0505_Mimi_PatternPage.htm

I'm not going to bother buying the pattern. Looks pretty easy. Anybody want to come with me?

I think mine'll have red accessories like the picture.

Red buttons. I'll make a red vinyl belt and also might change the sleeves to have a band around the ends with a button on. Might make a small stand up collar.

I'll leave this open for a while to see if it generates any interest before I get cracking.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftypixie

opinions were like kittins, I was giving them away

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2005 09:16:24 AM »

I would like to make that dress too,
I'm getting some books from the library about drafting patterns so maybe I could use this dress as my experiment!
I like your idea about using red buttons, very cute
hmm...now what color to make mine...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

seampoints
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2005 11:26:00 AM »

coo, good idea. Any luck with the books? I'm bit busy at the moment (have been working on various sewing projects) but I've picked out a really nice grey material with a nap to it that I'm going to use.

I'm having a hard time getting buttons of the right size locally though. I'm going to try another fabric shop this week.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
mel-my-issa

f*** it dude, let's go bowling.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2005 12:05:18 PM »

I am thinking about buying the pattern after payday (Friday yeah). I am such a newbie at sewing that I think I am going to need directions. We have lots of plotters in my office so I think I can print it up here. I am just making the top for work. I have a few questions about this pattern...
1. Can I just use my regular sewing machine or do I need a serger?
2. Think it's too hard for a beginner?
3. Think it would be super hard to add a peter pan collar?

Thanks! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

seampoints
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2005 12:39:24 AM »

Glad you could join in. I started making the dress yesterday and I went a little crazy, a little crazy meaning I made something quite different to the Fitz patterns dress.

I added darts to make it more flattering on the front and back and have totally changed the style of the front closure. I unintentionally started making it look quite military, and then just ran with it. I got rid of the puff sleeves. I think perhaps this was a bad idea as it looks like a very tailored top which I got bored with so I stuck a really puffy ra ra skirt on, theres nothing to really tie the skirt in with the rest of the design. But, in some ways this is quite fun.

I asked someone what they thought yesterday, and they said it's very big, and then couldn't explain what they meant. They then said I look like something from a computer game so I'm not sure if perhaps it doesn't work.

Also, I'm a bit disapointed with the way some things were made, this is because I went off in my own direction without a plan, which is usually where I have my best ideas but at the expense of the final result.

Gosh, reading that back it sounds like a right disaster.

Mel-my-issa, I don't think you'll have a hard time with this dress at all provided your ambitious. Nah, you don't need a serger. What you can do though, is when you've cut out all your pattern pieces, go round the edge of each piece with a largish zig zag stitch to prevent the fabric from fraying.

As far as a peter pan collar goes, if your pretty crafty you should be fine. It depends again how ambitious you are, have you got any reference books you can look in for help. I would say have a go. I'll be here anyway to help you if I can, and if you get in a right pickle, I'm sure someone here will be able to get you out.

Thinking about it, my dress is quite tailored and fitted and I think one of the things I liked most about the pattern is it looks quite loose fitting so maybe I should have just stuck with the original design idea from the site. I could make another one. I think I've got enough material to do it, but that seems perhaps a bit too self indulgent.

Today I'm hoping to finish, find some buttons and get hold of some material to make a belt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mel-my-issa

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2005 10:04:47 AM »

Seam point - Thanks for all the useful info. I am going to buy this pattern on Friday and maybe I can get started in a week or so. With my husband out of town until Sunday, I can craft my little heart out!!

Please post pics of your outfit! I would love to see how it turned out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mel-my-issa

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2005 09:47:33 AM »

Ok, I am all set to buy the pattern. I got some red fabric with little white polka dots for $1.50/yard. So now if I totally screw up I won't be out too much $. I think I am going to get started on Sunday.

Here is a tutorial for a peter pan collar from annamaria:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=54151.30
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mel-my-issa

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2005 10:37:17 AM »

Ok, I bought the pattern yesterday and now I am waiting for it to be e-mailed (the link was broken for my size). I am going to try to get started on Sunday. I am kinda scared!!!! At least my fabric was inexpensive!! Smiley
Seampoints- any chance of seeing pics of your Mimi?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe
Buying and Thawing Turkey - Father and Son Thanksgiving Pt. 1
Roast the Perfect Turkey - Father and Son Thanksgiving Pt. 5
Turkey Leftovers at Midnight - Father and Son Thanksgiving Pt. 7
Making Gravy and Carving Holiday Turkey - Father and Son Thanksgiving Pt. 6
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...