A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,124
Currently Running With Scissors:
603 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I'm Going to be a Pirate! (Some questions, some pictures)  (Read 2987 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

candycanechild
Paper Doll

version 4.1: she's just so clinically cynically.

View Profile WWW
« on: September 05, 2005 06:23:52 PM »

I know, I know. Halloween is more than a month away. Yes, well, starting this stage of planning the week before is called procrastination, and that's not good. Anyway, I have some ideas for my costume already. I made a whole big planning thing with pictures on my blog (http://home.comcast.net/~kerris4321/2005/09/its-pirates-life-for-me.html). But my question is this:
What on earth is this skirt called?

I LOVE it.... I plan on wearing it even when I'm not at a Halloween party. And I was wondering if anyone knew of a pattern or anything like it. Even an idea of what the skirt might be called if I were to ask/search about it would be helpful. Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Radioactivecrafter
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2005 06:29:13 PM »

I have no idea but it is amazing! The shirt looks rather nice too, the only thing I would change for your costume is the hat; they look kind of tacky with the skull and cross-bones on them, but the costume is not at all tacky so it does not really match.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

candycanechild
Paper Doll

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2005 06:39:05 PM »

I have no idea but it is amazing! The shirt looks rather nice too, the only thing I would change for your costume is the hat; they look kind of tacky with the skull and cross-bones on them, but the costume is not at all tacky so it does not really match.

Thanks. Yeah, I don't plan on using that hat. It is tacky. On my blog post about the costume, I posted pictures of a different shirt, a jacket, and a head scarf I plan to wear instead. I think the hat really kills the costume.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2005 07:07:26 PM »

I don't know what it's called either, except it looks fairly simple.  It's just a long ruffled skirt where part of the ruffle is gathered up to the waist.  And there's another, similar skirt underneath.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
captain_obvious

it's a chicken pox paradox.......need i say more?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2005 07:14:14 PM »

freakin awesome costume. im so jealous Wink. im a little sad though because im only taking a sewing class this year and have no prior experience and i saw this awesome pattern in one of those huge simplicity books, i wanted to be a gypsy soooo bad! Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The time has come, the Walrus said,
To talk of many things:
Of shoesand shipsand sealing wax
Of cabbagesand kings
And why the sea is boiling hot
And whether pigs have wings.
Radioactivecrafter
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2005 08:41:51 PM »

Ooo I went over to your blog and the other stuff looks like it will be great. I hope you post pictures when your done, I want to see how the jacket turns out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

candycanechild
Paper Doll

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2005 08:16:41 AM »

freakin awesome costume. im so jealous Wink. im a little sad though because im only taking a sewing class this year and have no prior experience and i saw this awesome pattern in one of those huge simplicity books, i wanted to be a gypsy soooo bad! Undecided

Don't let the fact that you're just starting discourage you! I'm sure you know SOMEONE who can help you out with things you don't understand. And if you don't, there's always Craftster!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
captain_obvious

it's a chicken pox paradox.......need i say more?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2005 09:55:13 AM »

thankee, although i was thinking maybe i could thrift for the skirt....... hmmmm...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The time has come, the Walrus said,
To talk of many things:
Of shoesand shipsand sealing wax
Of cabbagesand kings
And why the sea is boiling hot
And whether pigs have wings.
chocoloka
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2005 10:02:52 AM »

I hope I'm not misunderstanding your post, but it sounds to me like you're looking for a pattern for the skirt. I don't know exactly where to get one, but I'm betting you'll find something close under "gypsy skirt" or "flamenco skirt" if you search. I've seen Butterick and Simplicity brand Halloween patterns for gypsy costumes very similar to this.

Flamenco/gypsy skirts can have one or more ruffles or tiers. This picture has one, but you could try two. They're basically long circle skirts (more or less fabric depending on your needs/wants) with a ruffle at the end. Sometimes they have gores/godets, sometimes they're done in two really wide pieces. There are lots of variations. I can't give you directions on how to make a circle skirt (I'm not a sewer), but I know there are great patterns even on Craftster for circle skirts.

I took flamenco classes for a while and the skirts were gorgeous - 2 or more tiers of ruffles along the bottom that swished when you walk or move. (Be forewarned, though, they can be heavy!) To create the effect of the ruffle coming up the side, we used to tuck part of the skirt hem into the waistline. If you wrap it around your body part of the way before tucking it in, you'll create a sort of waterfall effect and maintain some modesty. If you layer another light skirt underneath (which it looks like your picture has done), you can just hike up a portion of the hem and tuck it or pin it without wrapping it around you.

There may be patterns for skirts that have ruffles up the front or side, but I think it would be easier (and more adaptable) if you make a ruffled circle skirt. Check out pictures of gypsies and flamenco dancers to see if you get any ideas.

Have fun! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
candycanechild
Paper Doll

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2005 10:51:00 AM »

Thanks everyone! Especially chocoloka, since that gives me an idea of what I should look for in pattern books. And thanks for the tip about how heavy they are... I didn't really think about that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to make Eggplant Casserole
How to Cook Crab Claws
How to Make a Fish and BLT Wrap
How to make Grilled Barbecue Chicken Skewers
How to Make Rum Muffins
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...