A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 307,238
Currently Running With Scissors:
750 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dealing with cruddy dorm room furniture?  (Read 5676 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

DancinJules
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2006 09:02:46 AM »

aluminum foil...lots and lots of aluminum foil.  Wink

Which will also protect you from stray alien brin rays... Grin

I thought living with ugly dorm room furniture was just a part of the whole college experience... Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Etsy Shop
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do...Explore. Dream.
Discover." -Mark Twain
Polymer Clay at Craft Gossip!
evadedkiss

Gotta have my coffee <3

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2006 08:54:45 AM »

After my first (and only, thankfully - moving off campus this semester) experience living in the dorms, here's what I reccommend:

CURTAINS. Most schools will only give you ugly/boring blinds, and who wants to look at those? Plus, if you're stuck on the first floor, they really help to keep out unwanted snoops (lol, which usually end up being friends wanting to know if you're home or not, but sometimes that can be VERY inopportune!) Use/Buy something in a color that compliments your bedding. Your bed will, no doubt, become the focus of your room, so put a lot of thought into your bedding. Something too busy can look really bad.

POSTERS/RASTERBATIONS/TAPESTRIES. Every campus I've been on sells overpriced posters and rather cheap tapestries. Use whatever goes with your style. Rasterbations are a cheap alternative to posters, if you have the time, and they're a little more personal too. I had one on my wall above my bed and everyone who came in asked where I got it - They were amazed when I told them I did it myself. Creating a collage of pictures of your friends/family is also a good idea. Using black and white pictures works rather well Smiley Just print them off on regular paper so your walls aren't shiny from the photo paper.

LIGHTING. Bring a desklight and/or a standing light. Anything that doesn't take up too much space is a good idea. The standard lighting in dorms just plain sucks.

Full length mirrors are useful and add some dimension to the room.

Fabric to cover ugly furnture is a great idea. Try using the same fabric for curtains to cover a chair.

Bookshelves are a necessity. Functional, and you can paint them to personalize them.

Lofting your bed is a good idea - just make sure you can get on/off it comfortably. I had mine set way to high at one point, and my short self could barely get onto it! A step-stool that you can keep underneath always helps Smiley If you can fit your dresser under your bed or in your closet, do it. Anything to gain floor space is a good idea - plus you can hide the ugliness of it  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rusty spork
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2006 04:06:44 PM »

I've had people try to bring things that they couldn't have into the dorms ( Hylogen lamps, microwaves waterbeds(!!)

waterbeds?!?!?

straaaaaaaaaaaange.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Knitem

For Narnia, and for Aslan!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2006 07:40:23 PM »

i lucked out and have one of the larger dorm rooms on our campus, but a common thing at our school is to take a door (plain solid one w/out a finish or a door knob hole, basically a big flat piece of wood) and you place that over both of the dorm desks, this not only gives you a larger desk space (one you can acutally fit your computer on) but you can easily decorate the wood, plus it just sits on top of the desks so there is no damage fee and you can use it each year.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
carsoap
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2006 10:44:46 PM »

my secret:  colored chalk!  if you're artistically inclined, you can make a really cool mural, or if you're less inclined, use stencils and decorate as you please.   it comes off easily.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~~The Love Pirate Wants Your Booty...~~~~~
oddtraveler
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2006 10:59:52 PM »

Okay this'll probably be the weirdest kinkiest thought of my day (okay, not really, but still), and it may never work for durability or cleaning issues, but... liquid latex?  It does, after all, peel nicely off of skin, so maybe it would work on wood?  A test patch first I guess.  Course, your dorm would look like a fetish club, but... woohoo!  It does come in lots of neat colors, though, so maybe not? Hmm... What else could be used for that sort of thing - isn't there peelable paint out there?   Whatever you do, don't use anything like contact paper.  It will undoubtedly leave some sticky behind somewhere.  I've tried using goo-gone, acetone, and various other chemicals to remove gum from laminate and wood and it doesn't do to well on the finish a lot of times

Then again, those ugly laminate surfaces do have a purpose in college, namely EASY CLEANING.  Trust me, you'll learn the value of that really quickly!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
ModernDayDauphine
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2006 11:08:51 PM »

for the top of your desk and dresser I would get a big piece of glass the length of the top and collage picture magazine pages or just plain construction paper or fabric underneath it so youll still have a hard flat surface to write on, to cover the rest of it, id tuck fabric under the glass to hang down to the floor or maybe try using stick um to hold it up
THIS ROCKS   Logged

narazu
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2006 05:29:27 AM »

Dorm life is definitely an experience - I am glad I chose to stay in university housing first.  And yeah, the furniture sucks, but believe me it is easy to get past that.  My freshman year I used blue painter's tape to attach stickers (I didn't remove the backing), photos and magazine clippings to the face of each of my dresser drawers.  Posters, as others have mentioned, are great.  I moved in with a few and added more once I was settled.  I also brought a life size cut out of a stormtrooper (one of my good friends has a gollum one!) - you can get cut outs of pretty much anyone from Cap'n Jack Sparrow (swoon! lol) to Dorothy and even Paris Hilton, so this is cool if you can find something (someone?) you're interested in.  Both my roommate and I brought our own throw rugs, which helped the room A LOT.  Plus, in our case they matched our respective comforters so they helped to create a sense of our own space. ... if that makes sense.  My roommate punched holes in the wall to hang pictures but I just used masking tape, painter's tape and duct tape on the door for our dry erase board.  As long as you school doesn't have really feeble plaster walls the tape shouldn't do any damage.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am interested in personal, more-art swaps.  If you are interested in an earnest and unique package, please PM me.  Equivalent trade isn't necessary, and while I intend to send more-art, I am not adverse to receiving more craft!
sweetyprize
I love sweetyprize at sweetyprize.etsy.com

Shop http://sweetyprize.etsy.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2006 08:44:29 AM »

dorms are such a big pain! the rules list is gigantic ... we can't even have burlap in our building. before you go buck wild with your design, please please please read the fine print of your housing agreement. my floor had freaks who brought in a grand scale live christmas tree last year -- and when they started getting fined 70 dollars a day for having it, they just left it in the hallway. you couldnt walk through the hallway, it blocked it, which was meant the entire floor was charged a fine. It was a hassle to fight it. Long story short, opt for simple. and remember to diy instead of eating up all the 'awesome' products from pottery barn teen. ;-P
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am so proud of my shop at http://sweetyprize.etsy.com
mini envelopes, unique scarfs, cassette tape recons! New items now available!
Razor Blame

She likes disco and tastes like a tear.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2006 09:27:46 AM »

I'm currently trying to find the coolest looking comforter/bed sheets but I cant find anything that suits my style (and, of course, my price range)

I was also wondering, what is suggested to help keep large posters up? I can hardly keep 'em tacked to my walls at home and I have tried almost anything.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Nic Sheff Talks About Tweak
Suzy Welch Reveals Her Motto
An Interview with Jennifer Weiner
Erick Setiawan Talks About Of Bees and Mist
David Grann Talks About The Lost City of Z
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Mirror Wall
January 21, 2015 Featured Projects
January 21st is Squirrel Appreciation Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...