A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,855
Currently Running With Scissors:
793 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Turn old sweaters into totes  (Read 6637 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

crazycatladymel
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2005 05:27:12 AM »

I made 3 yesterday, and have a shiny new knitting bag (plus a couple of prezzies) to show for it. I'm going to see if the pics work. If not, they're here & here.

For my knitting bag, I made the gusset a little deeper, so the bag is a teensy bit shorter, but wider too. Also added a second pocket inside. This was the scratchiest sweater I've ever seen, and I paid too much for it at the thrift store, but the colors were ME, and it felted up just great.

The aqua bag also has an interior pocket. The rust one's didn't lend itself to 2 pockets. It's a nice wide bag.

Drying are sweaters for another couple bags, a doggie sweater & some Christmas stockings (using the template on this page). To do the stockings, I'm going to get some of that thick clear vinyl for the pattern, so I can see the details of the material before I decide where to cut. For the doggie sweater, I'm using the pattern out of Vogue Knitting (on the go?) - Felting. It calls for you to knit a rectangle, felt it, then cut. I'm a knitter, but why knit a plain rectangle and cut it up, when I can felt a $2 Fair Isle cardigan and have that scrumptious detail?

The most I paid for a sweater was $5.99, which was INSANE at a thrift store (I swear, their pricers are insane sometimes), but I think I can get a tote bag out of the body, a Christmas stocking out of the sleeves, plus it had three gorgeous pewter clasp sets that I cut off and set aside. The cheapest find? A sweater vest for 15! Since - for this pattern - you have to cut off the sleeves, you may as well start with a vest. This one might become a stocking - not sure - but I will be on the lookout for vests if I need to get more felting material!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2005 01:19:24 PM by crazycatladymel » THIS ROCKS   Logged

crazycatladymel
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2005 05:29:52 AM »

Oh, and seriously - do not toss the sleeves! I cut most of mine open (I cut out 5 bags but only sewed 3) and some of them are pretty big. They may lend themselves to smaller totes, pin cushions, cat toys (the gray sleeves are destined to be catnip mice).

I think you could easily get a mitten out of each sweater's sleeves, for an unmatched set (you could get a whole pair of child mittens out of a sweater).

You can also take a length of sleeve (closer to the wrist) and sew it closed on one end, stuff it with fiberfill or scrap material and add a hefty dose of catnip, then sew the other end closed. Giant catnip-filled bunny-kicking kitty toy.

Finally, if you've seen the book where this pattern comes from (Alterknits - I love it), there are directions for a throw. Using smaller pieces from the sleeves, you could make a faboo pet blanket (cats seem to love the wool). I'd say baby coverlet too, if you could back it, or it was used over a sheet.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2005 05:32:54 AM by crazycatladymel » THIS ROCKS   Logged

wokeupafraud
it's always you in my big dreams

andrew mcmahonnnnn <3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2005 07:38:14 AM »

DISCARD!

not in my vocabulary.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

so I guess we're back to us, oh cameraman
swing the focus. In case I lost my train of
thought, where was it that we last left off?
let's pick up, pick up

http://home.promosquad.com/referal.shtml?referer=_heartacheontv&band=62
crazycatladymel
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2005 06:29:02 AM »

100% wool could be superwash -- treated to prevent felting. It's clearly marked when you buy yarn, but I've never seen it on a sweater label. I'm prepared now -- forgot all about that.

Ah... did a little research. If a sweater is "machine-washable," then it won't felt. So read the care instructions too. It should say "hand wash" or "dry clean." I don't know that that's a 100% guarantee, but it's a step in the right direction.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LolaBella
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2005 09:39:53 AM »

Wow!  That is such a great idea!  Must.make.bag!  Do you think you could make longer straps by using part of the sleeves?  I'm trying to work this out in my head and it seems like it would work but I'm not sure...  Wow, quick (and cheap) x-mas presents here I come! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Costume Blog: Bella Miss Ella
Regular Blog:
Bella Boston
jeepers
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2005 09:50:58 AM »

Just ran across this, and wow, am I excited!  What a great idea!  Thanks so much for taking the time to post...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

find what you love
love what you find
crazycatladymel
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2005 02:19:25 PM »

Wow!  That is such a great idea!  Must.make.bag!  Do you think you could make longer straps by using part of the sleeves?  I'm trying to work this out in my head and it seems like it would work but I'm not sure...  Wow, quick (and cheap) x-mas presents here I come! Smiley

I haven't tried it yet, but I don't see why not. I'd limit the number of pieces & overstitch like crazy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bastelmutti
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2005 08:35:00 PM »

Here is mine; I am using it as a bag for my crochet projects. Ever since I read this thread, this idea has been knocking around in my brain. Glad I finally got to try it.

I posted all of the pics in a separate thread on the Purse Recon board. Sleeves are great! I also made a pouch for my hooks and a small purse for my daughter out of those.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2010 10:38:45 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftykate
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2005 09:23:06 PM »

oh wow. I have a goodwill sweater I planned to unravel. this will be so much easier!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://craftykate.etsy.com

Yep, it's a knit blog
http://craftykate-knits.blogspot.com/

wanna trade? I heart personal swaps.
crazycatladymel
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2005 04:00:57 AM »

Bastelmutti: wonderful detail work! That turned out great.

I agree about the sleeves. I've used them for fingerless mitts and a pop cozy/carrier for my dad's wheelchair (he loves it). So many possibilities!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get Great Poolside Hair-Dos
How to Do a Nicole Scherzinger Updo
How to Do a Curly Updo Inspired by Rihanna
How to Get Voluminous, Curly Hair at Home
How to Hone the Bohemian Minimalist Hair Look
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...