A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 298,774
Currently Running With Scissors:
500 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Turn old sweaters into totes  (Read 7207 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

crazycatladymel
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2005 07:47:21 PM »

I know it's simple, but I was thinking of using the "discarded" sleeves for pin cushions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

betsyjean79
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2005 04:37:36 AM »

You can also make mittens out of them as seen here:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?board=8;action=display;threadid=4861
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crazycatladymel
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2005 06:14:06 AM »

Thanks for sharing that! Now I have an excuse to pick up one of those patterned wool sweaters at the thrift store (the though of unravelling... no way!).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

skullseamstress
Tutorial Contributor

Entrepreneur Crafter

We can't stop here! This is bat country!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2005 11:10:56 AM »

Well, I have to say, this is a really really neat idea! I thought it was so neat that I took what was going to be a boring trip to bellevue, wa, and turned it into a tour of the local goodwill stores! It's a bit of a ritzy area, kinda, and There were lots of 100% wool sweaters, many fair isle and color patterns, which I was hoping for. I got 15 altogether!  Oh man... I overdid it just a bit, but now I do have a lot to work with. The two largest and floppiest sweaters refused to felt at all, just let off all kinds of fuzz into my landlady's washing machine.. (Can you say "Panic"?) but several of the sweaters really felted up nice. If you go looking for sweaters to felt, I'd keep in mind that even if it is 100% wool and hand wash or dry clean only, that doesn't automatically mean that It is going to felt nice. Get a few different sweaters, and one of them at least should felt good. I used the spin cycle and the dryer on hot for all my sweaters, and it didn't seem to hurt them a bit, by the way.....  I am not to the point of making bags yet, but I'll post here when i get some done.... (prolly ONE done.. haha)  Oh yeah, also, when looking at thrift stores, don't forget to look in the Women's sweaters, the men's sweaters, and the children's sweaters sections.. I found lots in all three categories.  And if you have a "rich people" town in your area, go there... (more wool!)   And, if you look through this current issue (it's mid sept now) of Interweave knits, they have a felted bag in there that shows how good a ebroidered-then-felted bag can look.... great for plain sweaters!  I'm so inspired!  Ok that's all for now... I'm looking forward to getting going on making these bags!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crazycatladymel
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2005 11:51:20 AM »

100% wool could be superwash -- treated to prevent felting. It's clearly marked when you buy yarn, but I've never seen it on a sweater label. I'm prepared now -- forgot all about that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Chihiro
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2005 12:24:25 PM »

my sweater is in the wash...i can't wait to try this!  thanks for posting this debzzzbee! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Debzzzbee
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2005 04:44:53 PM »

Great idea! I,ll be making these and a bag now. I,ve tried to knit mittens but need more practice so these will work for now. Thanks for the tip!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Debzzzbee
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2005 04:46:34 PM »

my sweater is in the wash...i can't wait to try this!  thanks for posting this debzzzbee! Smiley
Your Welcome....please post a pic when your done I,d love to see it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crazycatladymel
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2005 06:52:33 AM »

I felted a patterned sweater over the weekend, and plan to use it to make a sweater for my brother's dog.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Debzzzbee
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2005 12:20:32 PM »

Those look really nice!  I finally found a wool sweater, so I,ll be posting mine soon too. Did you hand sew yours or use a sewing machine?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Carbon Copy: Get NYFW Street Style Looks For Less
Street Chic: Chelsea, London Style
Star Style: Who Inspires Solange Knowles
Dress Code Violations From The 2013 Grammys
Best & Worst Dressed From The Grammys 2013 Red Carpet
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...