A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 298,761
Currently Running With Scissors:
404 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Turn old sweaters into totes  (Read 7205 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Debzzzbee
« on: September 05, 2005 10:45:29 AM »

This is an article from Womans Day magazine. Surprisingly this site has alot of good craft ideas.

http://www.womansday.com/article.asp?article_id=9818&section_id=3
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Debzzzbee
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2005 10:48:21 AM »

Turn your old sweaters into bags. This would be a good idea for thrift store bought sweaters. This link is from Womans Day magazine.

http://www.womansday.com/article.asp?article_id=9818&section_id=3
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mangosplash
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2005 02:50:57 PM »

NEAT!!  Thanks for sharing the site!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"What have you done today to make you feel proud?" - Heather Small
krazigal72
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Jeweled Whore

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2005 02:55:41 PM »

thats rad, thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Only dead fish go with the flow.

If you're gonna play with fire, then you're gonna get burned.

Craftster has the best Mod Squad ever. <3

Remind me that we'll always have each other
When everything else is gone.
juliesnider

So excited to be a month old!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2005 02:37:22 PM »

What a great idea for sweaters you don't wear anymore!  I saw a similar idea on a TV show.  They bought several wool sweaters from a second hand store, felted them, cut out large squares, and then used black yarn to blanket stitch them together to make a throw.  It was beautiful.

I think I'd better go check my closet!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"When I'm old I don't want them to say of me, 'She's so charming.'  I want them to say, 'Be careful, I think she's armed.'" - G. Stoddart
morr0226
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2005 07:56:54 AM »

This is an awesome project.  Does anyone know of links to tutorials for other projects made from felted sweaters??
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knittinfool
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2005 10:32:17 AM »

I made a scarf with old felted sweaters i had ,,,,ijust cut them into stripes and sewed them together... super duper easy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sheenyweeny
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2005 10:41:01 AM »

that is so cool, thanks debzzzbee!

when i was a kid, i wrapped my presents in ribbons i cut from a felted woollen dress. this is soooo much better!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

life is like a sandwich, the more u put into it, the better it becomes!

well behaved women rarely make history :p
crazycatladymel
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2005 12:25:14 PM »

I was going to be searching for this kind of thing this weekend - you saved me some big trouble!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Debzzzbee
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2005 07:15:11 PM »

Glad I could help...it looks like a cool project, I havent been to the thrift store yet to pick me up a sweater; but I plan to make one this 'easy way' very soon. Please post pics of what you have all come up with. I would like to see the results.  Wink
This is an awesome project.  Does anyone know of links to tutorials for other projects made from felted sweaters??
If I can find anything else like this I,ll be sure to post it. I like sharing things here that I find  interesting.  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crazycatladymel
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2005 07:47:21 PM »

I know it's simple, but I was thinking of using the "discarded" sleeves for pin cushions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

betsyjean79
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2005 04:37:36 AM »

You can also make mittens out of them as seen here:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?board=8;action=display;threadid=4861
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crazycatladymel
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2005 06:14:06 AM »

Thanks for sharing that! Now I have an excuse to pick up one of those patterned wool sweaters at the thrift store (the though of unravelling... no way!).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

skullseamstress
Tutorial Contributor

Entrepreneur Crafter

We can't stop here! This is bat country!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2005 11:10:56 AM »

Well, I have to say, this is a really really neat idea! I thought it was so neat that I took what was going to be a boring trip to bellevue, wa, and turned it into a tour of the local goodwill stores! It's a bit of a ritzy area, kinda, and There were lots of 100% wool sweaters, many fair isle and color patterns, which I was hoping for. I got 15 altogether!  Oh man... I overdid it just a bit, but now I do have a lot to work with. The two largest and floppiest sweaters refused to felt at all, just let off all kinds of fuzz into my landlady's washing machine.. (Can you say "Panic"?) but several of the sweaters really felted up nice. If you go looking for sweaters to felt, I'd keep in mind that even if it is 100% wool and hand wash or dry clean only, that doesn't automatically mean that It is going to felt nice. Get a few different sweaters, and one of them at least should felt good. I used the spin cycle and the dryer on hot for all my sweaters, and it didn't seem to hurt them a bit, by the way.....  I am not to the point of making bags yet, but I'll post here when i get some done.... (prolly ONE done.. haha)  Oh yeah, also, when looking at thrift stores, don't forget to look in the Women's sweaters, the men's sweaters, and the children's sweaters sections.. I found lots in all three categories.  And if you have a "rich people" town in your area, go there... (more wool!)   And, if you look through this current issue (it's mid sept now) of Interweave knits, they have a felted bag in there that shows how good a ebroidered-then-felted bag can look.... great for plain sweaters!  I'm so inspired!  Ok that's all for now... I'm looking forward to getting going on making these bags!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crazycatladymel
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2005 11:51:20 AM »

100% wool could be superwash -- treated to prevent felting. It's clearly marked when you buy yarn, but I've never seen it on a sweater label. I'm prepared now -- forgot all about that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Chihiro
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2005 12:24:25 PM »

my sweater is in the wash...i can't wait to try this!  thanks for posting this debzzzbee! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Debzzzbee
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2005 04:44:53 PM »

Great idea! I,ll be making these and a bag now. I,ve tried to knit mittens but need more practice so these will work for now. Thanks for the tip!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Debzzzbee
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2005 04:46:34 PM »

my sweater is in the wash...i can't wait to try this!  thanks for posting this debzzzbee! Smiley
Your Welcome....please post a pic when your done I,d love to see it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crazycatladymel
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2005 06:52:33 AM »

I felted a patterned sweater over the weekend, and plan to use it to make a sweater for my brother's dog.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Debzzzbee
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2005 12:20:32 PM »

Those look really nice!  I finally found a wool sweater, so I,ll be posting mine soon too. Did you hand sew yours or use a sewing machine?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crazycatladymel
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2005 05:27:12 AM »

I made 3 yesterday, and have a shiny new knitting bag (plus a couple of prezzies) to show for it. I'm going to see if the pics work. If not, they're here & here.

For my knitting bag, I made the gusset a little deeper, so the bag is a teensy bit shorter, but wider too. Also added a second pocket inside. This was the scratchiest sweater I've ever seen, and I paid too much for it at the thrift store, but the colors were ME, and it felted up just great.

The aqua bag also has an interior pocket. The rust one's didn't lend itself to 2 pockets. It's a nice wide bag.

Drying are sweaters for another couple bags, a doggie sweater & some Christmas stockings (using the template on this page). To do the stockings, I'm going to get some of that thick clear vinyl for the pattern, so I can see the details of the material before I decide where to cut. For the doggie sweater, I'm using the pattern out of Vogue Knitting (on the go?) - Felting. It calls for you to knit a rectangle, felt it, then cut. I'm a knitter, but why knit a plain rectangle and cut it up, when I can felt a $2 Fair Isle cardigan and have that scrumptious detail?

The most I paid for a sweater was $5.99, which was INSANE at a thrift store (I swear, their pricers are insane sometimes), but I think I can get a tote bag out of the body, a Christmas stocking out of the sleeves, plus it had three gorgeous pewter clasp sets that I cut off and set aside. The cheapest find? A sweater vest for 15! Since - for this pattern - you have to cut off the sleeves, you may as well start with a vest. This one might become a stocking - not sure - but I will be on the lookout for vests if I need to get more felting material!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2005 01:19:24 PM by crazycatladymel » THIS ROCKS   Logged

crazycatladymel
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2005 05:29:52 AM »

Oh, and seriously - do not toss the sleeves! I cut most of mine open (I cut out 5 bags but only sewed 3) and some of them are pretty big. They may lend themselves to smaller totes, pin cushions, cat toys (the gray sleeves are destined to be catnip mice).

I think you could easily get a mitten out of each sweater's sleeves, for an unmatched set (you could get a whole pair of child mittens out of a sweater).

You can also take a length of sleeve (closer to the wrist) and sew it closed on one end, stuff it with fiberfill or scrap material and add a hefty dose of catnip, then sew the other end closed. Giant catnip-filled bunny-kicking kitty toy.

Finally, if you've seen the book where this pattern comes from (Alterknits - I love it), there are directions for a throw. Using smaller pieces from the sleeves, you could make a faboo pet blanket (cats seem to love the wool). I'd say baby coverlet too, if you could back it, or it was used over a sheet.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2005 05:32:54 AM by crazycatladymel » THIS ROCKS   Logged

wokeupafraud
it's always you in my big dreams

andrew mcmahonnnnn <3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2005 07:38:14 AM »

DISCARD!

not in my vocabulary.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

so I guess we're back to us, oh cameraman
swing the focus. In case I lost my train of
thought, where was it that we last left off?
let's pick up, pick up

http://home.promosquad.com/referal.shtml?referer=_heartacheontv&band=62
crazycatladymel
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2005 06:29:02 AM »

100% wool could be superwash -- treated to prevent felting. It's clearly marked when you buy yarn, but I've never seen it on a sweater label. I'm prepared now -- forgot all about that.

Ah... did a little research. If a sweater is "machine-washable," then it won't felt. So read the care instructions too. It should say "hand wash" or "dry clean." I don't know that that's a 100% guarantee, but it's a step in the right direction.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LolaBella
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2005 09:39:53 AM »

Wow!  That is such a great idea!  Must.make.bag!  Do you think you could make longer straps by using part of the sleeves?  I'm trying to work this out in my head and it seems like it would work but I'm not sure...  Wow, quick (and cheap) x-mas presents here I come! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Costume Blog: Bella Miss Ella
Regular Blog:
Bella Boston
jeepers
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2005 09:50:58 AM »

Just ran across this, and wow, am I excited!  What a great idea!  Thanks so much for taking the time to post...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

find what you love
love what you find
crazycatladymel
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2005 02:19:25 PM »

Wow!  That is such a great idea!  Must.make.bag!  Do you think you could make longer straps by using part of the sleeves?  I'm trying to work this out in my head and it seems like it would work but I'm not sure...  Wow, quick (and cheap) x-mas presents here I come! Smiley

I haven't tried it yet, but I don't see why not. I'd limit the number of pieces & overstitch like crazy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bastelmutti
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2005 08:35:00 PM »

Here is mine; I am using it as a bag for my crochet projects. Ever since I read this thread, this idea has been knocking around in my brain. Glad I finally got to try it.

I posted all of the pics in a separate thread on the Purse Recon board. Sleeves are great! I also made a pouch for my hooks and a small purse for my daughter out of those.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2010 10:38:45 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftykate
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2005 09:23:06 PM »

oh wow. I have a goodwill sweater I planned to unravel. this will be so much easier!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://craftykate.etsy.com

Yep, it's a knit blog
http://craftykate-knits.blogspot.com/

wanna trade? I heart personal swaps.
crazycatladymel
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2005 04:00:57 AM »

Bastelmutti: wonderful detail work! That turned out great.

I agree about the sleeves. I've used them for fingerless mitts and a pop cozy/carrier for my dad's wheelchair (he loves it). So many possibilities!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bastelmutti
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2005 05:00:21 AM »

I'd like to try the mittens next. Has anyone made a hat?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
luv2stitch

Sometimes it's knit and sometimes it's crochet.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2005 10:45:22 AM »

These are great ideas. Thanks for sharing. Totes/Bags are my favorite things to make and I could always use just one more. Looks like I'll be raiding the closet for old sweaters to felt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Calysa
I heart Anegada

~ will craft for peanuts ~

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2005 10:28:06 AM »

What a great idea! Love your bag, Bastelmutti.  Check out these items made from recycled sweaters & things... http://www.baabaazuzu.com/ ...vests, jackets, hats, mittens, scarves, bags, pins, and Christmas stockings.  The possibilities are endless!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistake?  No... it's an Unexpected Design Element.  I put it there on purpose.  *ahem*
ax174
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2005 10:45:40 AM »

Check out these items made from recycled sweaters & things... http://www.baabaazuzu.com/

There's a new book called Second Time Cool: The Art of Chopping Up a Sweater that shows how to make stuff like that: 
http://www.annickpress.com/catalog/secondtimecool-flash.html

Myself, I make stuffed toys out of old sweaters, stuff them lightly, then felt them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tejer
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2006 06:21:29 AM »

I made a few of these too. The pink one is a sweater that shrunk up so nicely that it became a purse. The gray one was a man's vest and is more shopping bag size. I made these for the recycled/earth day swap and I embroidered them with leftover thread from another project.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

KeenKitty
Accident free since...what time is it?

Because everyone loves a muppet...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2006 07:55:19 AM »

I have been wanting to make a bag for my knitting...I was going to get a clothe bag but this seems so much more personal!

I am way allergic to wool...But it did give me some ideas for prezzies!

Thanks ladies and gentlemen!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Paper Mache Craft Bowl
How to Make an Awesome Key Holder
How to Make Bird Feeders
How to Create a Figure-8 Knot Napkin Ring
How to Make a Square Knot Napkin Ring
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...