A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,143
Currently Running With Scissors:
327 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Reversable Handbag with TUTORIAL  (Read 63209 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Pixies

fashiondiy.blogsome.com

View Profile
« on: September 05, 2005 08:20:45 AM »

I have posted about this handbag in my Fashion/DIY blog, Style Bytes earlier, but I thought I'd share it with you guys as well.

I saw these reversable handbags made out of vintage fabrics in a store once. I just adored them, but they were a bit pricy for me. So I decided to make my own. I got a hold of some very cheap left over vintage fabrics, see through plastic tubes (found in any hard ware store) and some kind of curtain ropes. Then I started sewing. I thought Id share the result with you, so that you also can make this simple and cheap handbag.

I have put together a tutorial the best I could with my not so very nice drawings. Still, I hope itll be helpful, and if something is unclear, just let me know. I must also warn you that Im not a very experienced sewer, so there might be better ways of putting it together. Right side is in white and wrong side is lined.

Cut out four pieces of two different kinds of fabric in wanted size and shape. Mine is about 30 cm wide on the widest part and 30 cm high, including sewing margins.

First sew all the edges with zig zag stiches so that it wont fringe.

The next step is to sew in the top 7-8 cm. This is where the handles will go. Just fold the top edges in a cm or so, and sew on right side with regular stiches. Do this with all four pieces.

Now put the two matching pieces together with the right side turning inwards. Sew them together with regular stiches until the point where you made the top stiches. This way you will leave a hole for the handle. Do this with both matching pieces.

Put the now two parts together with the tops facing each other. Sew the top ends together on each side.

Now turn the handbag the right way, and put one piece inside the other. If you have done it correctly youll know see it being reversable.

Now youre ready to put the handles om. Use two pieces of see through plastic tubes, both on about 50 cm. I put a curtain rope inside in a matching color, but you can use just about anything. I also experienced with using left over fabric so that it would match the hangbag completely. You can also use pearls, glitter, or anything you might have lying around.

Pull the pieces through the handle holes. I didnt find a good way to fasten the ends together, but since it will be inside the bag it wont show. What I did was to make the ropes a little longer than the tubes. That way I could tie the ends together tightly. Afterwards I sewed some stiches by hand to secure it. If you find a better way to do this part let me know. To keep the shape of the handles the way I wanted it I also put inside some small knitting needles at the bottom of the handles. This way it wont strech as much when you carry it with something inside it. The bags I saw at the store where I got the idea didnt have this, so you dont have to do something about it at all.

And voila! Now the bag should be all done! With a little practice you can make them really fast.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011 12:59:03 PM by jungrrl - Reason: edited to comply with Craftster guidelines » THIS ROCKS   Logged
sassiecat321
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2005 09:18:12 AM »

the pictures are't working. Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pixies

fashiondiy.blogsome.com

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2005 09:19:52 AM »

That's weird... I can see them just fine. Any idea what might be the problem?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ln_renee
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2005 10:02:09 AM »

That's weird... I can see them just fine. Any idea what might be the problem?

I don't think you can use the regular image tags on forums.
Regular meaning the < >

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pixies

fashiondiy.blogsome.com

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2005 10:20:45 AM »

I don't think you can use the regular image tags on forums.
Regular meaning the < >

I have never done this before, but what I did was copying the image location from my blog and used the insert hyperlink-button. I previewed before posting, and I can still see the pictures. Did I do it wrong?

I tried changing the pictures from my blog though. Can you guys see them now? I need your response since everything seems fine from here. Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
arrhythmia
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2005 10:35:00 AM »

I can't see anything yet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

arrhythmia
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2005 10:51:02 AM »

I went to your blog and saw the tute there and when I checked again the pics showed, so maybe my connection is slow. I am struggling to wrap my head around your tute. I love the handle idea and your bag is cute. The reversibility thing and the pics confuse me a little though. Good work ! and I like your bag.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pixies

fashiondiy.blogsome.com

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2005 01:07:08 PM »

Yeah... I struggeled a bit with finding a good way of describing how to do it. I should have taken pics while sewing them, but I didn't think about it then...  Undecided About the reversibily thing I guess this will seem clearer when  sewing. It's easier then to see how they have to fit together to make it reversible. I'm really not sure how to put it in words (or in drawings for that matter).  Tongue Maybe someone else has a clue?

I'm glad you liked the bag though!  Smiley

By the way: Can everyone see the pics now? Since I can see them, and at least one other person can, I guess it should be OK. Really annoying though! It's my first post with pics though, so please have some patience.  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
OldCajun
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2005 11:55:14 PM »

Hi.  Can't get your pictures to come through but did see what your bag looked like on your tutorial and it is really great and I can imagine it made in all kinds of fabric for all kinds of occasions.  Clever old you!  Thank you for the tutorial.  I shall have to try one very soon indeed.  Cheers, Alita over in sunny England   david@residence78.fsnet.co.uk
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Faerietail
Wing-Maker Extraordinaire

When force is gone, there's always Mom. Hi Mom!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2005 11:58:12 PM »

Hi! I've had this exact same problem when posting images here on Craftster. The only way I found to fix the problem was to upload the images to the Craftster Picture Hosting and link to them from there.

I hope you can get things sorted out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Buy some fairy wings! - www.faerietail.com
Buy hand spun yarn - fey.etsy.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Make It Easy: Snow Day Recipes Kids Can Make
How to Make Chocolate Orange Cookies
Vanilla Marshmallows Recipe
How to Make Candy Cane Truffles
How to Make Chocolate-Covered Strawberries Fit For a Queen
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...