A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 302,549
Currently Running With Scissors:
725 Guests and 38 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 104
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knifty Knitters!  (Read 173515 times)
Tags for this thread: knitting_loom  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Aquilla da Hun

Mommys Little Monsters

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #860 on: January 26, 2009 01:24:35 PM »

i have never used a knifty knitter loom. but i have knitted gloves with the separate fingers like that.

even when you knit all the fingers first and attached them in the round. i still get some 'holeage' haha. i just use some yarn and sew up the hole. it only takes a stitch or two.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Show me a man with a tattoo and I'll show you a man with an interesting past.  ~Jack London

Our bodies are our gardens, -to which our wills are gardeners!   ~William Shakespeare
mieljolie
« Reply #861 on: January 26, 2009 02:35:03 PM »

...even when you knit all the fingers first and attached them in the round. i still get some 'holeage' haha. i just use some yarn and sew up the hole. it only takes a stitch or two.

That's what I thought based on reading some of the patterns for needle knit gloves.  With all the looms I've seen, gloves seem to be pretty much impossible.  From what I'm familiar with, you have to have a special loom or spool knitter device for fingers and a different one for the hand part.  Mine is all done on one loom at the same time without transferring the stitches to another loom.

It really amazes me that after at least 500 years, loom design has changed very little.  Not sure why flexible looms are not available commercially.  I can't be the only one trying it, right?  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

« Reply #862 on: January 27, 2009 10:26:39 AM »

...even when you knit all the fingers first and attached them in the round. i still get some 'holeage' haha. i just use some yarn and sew up the hole. it only takes a stitch or two.

That's what I thought based on reading some of the patterns for needle knit gloves.  With all the looms I've seen, gloves seem to be pretty much impossible.  From what I'm familiar with, you have to have a special loom or spool knitter device for fingers and a different one for the hand part.  Mine is all done on one loom at the same time without transferring the stitches to another loom.

It really amazes me that after at least 500 years, loom design has changed very little.  Not sure why flexible looms are not available commercially.  I can't be the only one trying it, right?  Smiley
It's possible you are the first to think about it! your might want to consider making kits or something. And get the idea copyrighted or patented.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mieljolie
« Reply #863 on: January 27, 2009 10:48:13 AM »

It's possible you are the first to think about it! your might want to consider making kits or something....

Haha  I seriously doubt that.  It would be highly unlikely that I, of all people, would have an original idea on something so simple.  I knew nothing of knitting 'til I built the thing.  It was a matter of necessity, budget and tools available.  I needed a loom to play on to get my crafting fix without spending any money.  LOL  Smiley  Then, I realized how many more things I could do with it.

But, if anyone wants one, I'd be happy to put one together for them.  I'm in the process of working up some sort of instructions on assembling one on my blog for those who want to give it a try.  It's much cheaper to put together than to buy a "rigid" loom.  However, my instructions are probably more confusing than helpful at this point.  Smiley
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009 10:51:09 AM by mieljolie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

cfbandit

Rock on with your bad self, Penny!

« Reply #864 on: January 28, 2009 10:11:05 AM »

It's possible you are the first to think about it! your might want to consider making kits or something....

Haha  I seriously doubt that.  It would be highly unlikely that I, of all people, would have an original idea on something so simple. 

Err...you actually just might! The only people I can think of that have something similar are the Japanese and I can't find the darn link right now. There's is made out of flexible plastic and I have a knockoff that was sold at the dollar store a couple years ago. I like your idea better, though, because the pins are bigger and sturdier. Eliea or Mavans might have the same one.

Sometimes people are complacent, and I know most people just buy the In the Attic Loom.

I know I'd buy the instructions from you for how to make one!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog: http://craftingyoohooville.blogspot.com
My Wist: http://www.wists.com/cfbandit

Ravelry: cfbandit

Member of the Al-ette Fan Club
Jatoha
« Reply #865 on: January 28, 2009 10:48:04 AM »

I agree!  I'd be very interested in a flexible loom. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #866 on: January 28, 2009 11:29:46 AM »

I'd buy one!  I second the idea that you should try selling them.  While people could make them themselves, and we know craftsters would, there's a whole world of loom knitters out there who don't do other crafts and probably would prefer their adjustable loom already put together for them.

Not that I've done any research on this... it just seems to make sense to me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mieljolie
« Reply #867 on: January 28, 2009 11:41:57 AM »

...I have a knockoff that was sold at the dollar store a couple years ago...

- You've got me curious.  Would you be able to take a pic of it?

...I know I'd buy the instructions from you for how to make one!  Grin
I agree!  I'd be very interested in a flexible loom. 

- You don't have to buy it.  My sad attempt at explaining the construction is on my knitting blog.  If you have questions just pm, email, or leave a comment.  It's all stuff from around the house.  

You can get the small rubberbands at Target or better yet Sally's Beauty Supplies for less than $2 for 500.  The bead spacers are found in any craft dept.  They are called "Perler Beads".  (Your supposed to melt them together to make kids crafts.  My daughter had some.)  I think Pony Beads would work.  And, they're really cheap.  Then, you just need sticks.  I've made several different gauges from large to fine.  You use it just like other looms.  I'm working on explaining increase/decrease and other advance stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mieljolie
« Reply #868 on: January 28, 2009 12:04:49 PM »

...there's a whole world of loom knitters out there who don't do other crafts and probably would prefer their adjustable loom already put together for them...

The problem with offering a kit is that the loom is "adjustable".  You can actually take it apart or add to it to fit the size of the project.  The loom can actually shrink or grow with the project size.  Say, if you were knitting a cone, it would get larger around with the cone.  So, if I had it preassembled, I wouldn't know how many pegs they needed to start.  Depends on what you're knitting.  I could just bag the parts with instruction.  At least they wouldn't have to go find the parts.  But, I guess, I can't fathom someone wanting to buy them from me when they can get the parts locally.  I wouldn't make a very good sales person, would I.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

« Reply #869 on: January 28, 2009 01:35:31 PM »

Haha  I seriously doubt that.  It would be highly unlikely that I, of all people, would have an original idea on something so simple. 

Err...you actually just might! The only people I can think of that have something similar are the Japanese and I can't find the darn link right now. There's is made out of flexible plastic and I have a knockoff that was sold at the dollar store a couple years ago. I like your idea better, though, because the pins are bigger and sturdier. Eliea or Mavans might have the same one.

Sometimes people are complacent, and I know most people just buy the In the Attic Loom.

I know I'd buy the instructions from you for how to make one!  Grin
nope not me. But you make me wish I did!

...there's a whole world of loom knitters out there who don't do other crafts and probably would prefer their adjustable loom already put together for them...

The problem with offering a kit is that the loom is "adjustable".  You can actually take it apart or add to it to fit the size of the project.  The loom can actually shrink or grow with the project size.  Say, if you were knitting a cone, it would get larger around with the cone.  So, if I had it preassembled, I wouldn't know how many pegs they needed to start.  Depends on what you're knitting.  I could just bag the parts with instruction.  At least they wouldn't have to go find the parts.  But, I guess, I can't fathom someone wanting to buy them from me when they can get the parts locally.  I wouldn't make a very good sales person, would I.  Smiley

I think if it was something you wanted to pursue you could make "expansion" packs with a random number of extra parts. that way if the loom wasn't quite big enough someone could get more parts.

I'm off to see your blog again! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 104 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Drag Style Face Makeup
Eyes and Eyebrows in Drag Style
How to Makeup a Cat Nose
How to Do Cat Eyelashes Makeup
How to Do Cat Eyes in Makeup
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...