A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 296,726
Currently Running With Scissors:
548 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 104
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knifty Knitters!  (Read 174398 times)
Tags for this thread: knitting_loom  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mavans
« Reply #520 on: December 04, 2007 11:29:24 AM »

I've never done blocking may have to try it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Martha
mavans
« Reply #521 on: December 04, 2007 11:33:22 AM »

did anyone ever do the calorimetry on a loom and post a picture?

I want to try one but I don't know.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Martha
piratecore
« Reply #522 on: December 04, 2007 06:08:32 PM »

*jumping on the bandwagon* I bought a loom kit on sale yesterday.. got this awesome 99 cent yarn and made a hat for my friends baby girl that is scheduled to pop out any day now Smiley
I also have a friend whos baby is about 6 months, im wondering if i can make the same hat for her, or if i should go to the second smallest hoop (mine is green)
babies heads are pretty freakin small, right??

(awesome projects and suggestions, btw, i read through all 50 something pages !)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cfbandit

Rock on with your bad self, Penny!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #523 on: December 04, 2007 07:26:12 PM »

I also have a friend whos baby is about 6 months, im wondering if i can make the same hat for her, or if i should go to the second smallest hoop (mine is green)
babies heads are pretty freakin small, right??

(awesome projects and suggestions, btw, i read through all 50 something pages !)

I'd probably make the smaller one - red's usually better for babies (and newborns use the blue).

Congrats on making it through all 50! And that's a very cute hat!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog: http://craftingyoohooville.blogspot.com
My Wist: http://www.wists.com/cfbandit

Ravelry: cfbandit

Member of the Al-ette Fan Club
BeccaJaneStClair
Follow the Butterflies....

I'd rather swing on the moon than a star.

« Reply #524 on: December 04, 2007 07:35:20 PM »

did anyone ever do the calorimetry on a loom and post a picture?

I want to try one but I don't know.

I made a modified one that just looks like a really wide headband - I made it as a flat panel and then after it was the length I wanted it to be wide, I brought the top up and connected them. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(formerly AnnaOnTheMoon)

http://blog.beccajanestclair.com ~ http://annaonthemoon.livejournal.com ~  http://www.wists.com/annaonthemoon  ~ http://pinterest.com/annaonthemoon
piratecore
« Reply #525 on: December 04, 2007 08:14:18 PM »

I'd probably make the smaller one - red's usually better for babies (and newborns use the blue).

my colors go from smallest to largest... blue, green, pink, purple (some no-name brand)
so i think you are saying the smallest one is good for newborns, but to use the second smallest for older babies? i am making one on that now(green), and it looks too big. hmph.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LordVader

i AM the Dark Side

View Profile
« Reply #526 on: December 04, 2007 09:57:39 PM »

ok, so this is what i have completed for christmas presents so far:

this is mi madres hat.  it's a roll-up one.  i'm very proud.

this is mi padres hat.  it's my first one that i did.  it's got a brim and the two-toned colors.  it was perhaps a bit adventagious for my first project, but nonetheless, i'm proud.

and this is the scarf i'm working on for mi madre.  i've got quite a ways to go on it still.  and that glory of a mess behind it is all my other crap that i have scatered around that i haven't bothered putting away since i got back from thanksgiving break last week.  cause i'm lazy.

but yay projects!  i'm going to start working on a scarf for my dad as soon as i get my mom's done.  i plan on doing his scarf two-toned, because i don't have a lot of the green left.

but i wanted to show my progress thus far.  and this is in about a week, plus a day.  i started on my dads hat on the saturday during the week of thanksgiving, and i finished the brim sunday, and did two rows sunday night, and finished it monday and fixed it saturday.  and i started on my mom's hat this past thursday and then i finished it up on saturday.  yeah...now i'm rambling.  i'm just really empressed with how quickly i got them done is all.  and i think i'm tired too.  i tend to ramble a lot when i'm tired.  XD
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Imagination is more important than Knowledge."-Albert Einstein

"Conversation should be pleasant without scurrility, witty without affectation, free without indecency, learned without conceitedness, novel without falsehood." - William Shakespeare

http://foodforthought1987.blogspot.com
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

« Reply #527 on: December 05, 2007 06:48:27 AM »

my colors go from smallest to largest... blue, green, pink, purple (some no-name brand)
so i think you are saying the smallest one is good for newborns, but to use the second smallest for older babies? i am making one on that now(green), and it looks too big. hmph.
I think we have the same set!
If you can measure the babies head that's the best way to make a hat the right size. Then measure the width around your two smaller looms and see which is closest. For a baby the hat could be a bit snug so it can't get off easy. But you obviously don't want it too tight. 1/2 and inch or so is ok but much smaller is too small. In that case go to the next size up. Babies are constantly growing. Smiley

If someone lists the sizes/colors of their looms in order from smallest to largest just label your looms according to size and then you'll know which "color" loom you need. (if that made no sense let me know.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
piratecore
« Reply #528 on: December 05, 2007 07:16:23 AM »

thank you!
i wont get to see the baby until christmas time as she lives across the country:) maybe i will make both sizes and fit her then.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

« Reply #529 on: December 05, 2007 07:27:03 AM »

thank you!
i wont get to see the baby until christmas time as she lives across the country:) maybe i will make both sizes and fit her then.
You could ask her mom to measure her head if you talk to her often enough. Have her wrap a string around the largest part of the babies head and measure it.
Smiley
Otherwise if it doesn't matter make two hats and whichever one fits give her and keep the other for the next baby shower. Smiley
I have many sneaky ways of doing things since my family is clever at figuring out what I'm doing for Christmas. I somehow have to get my BIL's head measurement and he doesn't live with my MIL so I have no idea how to swing that one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 104 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Dutch Design Tip: Focus on the Story Behind the Product
How Details Enable Sustainable Design Differentiation
How British Stationers and Tailors Inspire Product Design
Art of Sustainable Shoemaking
How Art History Classes Inform Graphic Arts Education
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...