A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 296,381
Currently Running With Scissors:
694 Guests and 36 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 104
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knifty Knitters!  (Read 173446 times)
Tags for this thread: knitting_loom  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Jatoha
« Reply #910 on: April 03, 2009 06:50:23 PM »

I totally agree about the scarf!  I couldn't even mention it because it skeeved me out so much!! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #911 on: April 04, 2009 06:48:19 AM »

That's a neat fluid sculpture!

I was creeped out by the blood scarf. Ick! I am nearly certain that it is a fake, with red water running through it, not actual blood, but it is very squicky.  Shocked

I just got a new Knifty Knitter purple hat loom to try. I might knit up a basic e-wrap hat tonight, if I don't crash out first. I'm trying to get back in shape and I'm tired at the end of the day. I have all the other round looms, but this one appears to have a slightly tighter gauge. Looks fun. 

I agree the scarf is icky but the sculpture is awesome! If they could make it taller and rig it so the water just circulated it would be cooler than a lava lamp. Smiley
I'm a few more rows into my hat and I'm not seeing the pattern yet but I think I need to get through at least 5 more to see anything. I'll keep you posted!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Muria
« Reply #912 on: April 13, 2009 05:09:32 AM »

While the blood scarf is really icky, using tubing to make a knitting garment would be an interesting alternative to the camel backpacks that cyclists use to stay hydrated. The only real problem is that your liquid would be warm from body heat: maybe tea would be a good fit (tastes pretty good either hot or cold)?

But what I really came here to ask: is it possible to do lace knitting on a knitting board (not necessarily the Knifty Knitter). I looked at knittingboard.com, and didn't see any directions for how to accomplish it (I have a pattern I want to do, but regular knitting means that my summer sweater isn't going to be done until maybe next summer). Of course, it would be cheaper for me just to buy a sweater (or some sweater knit and sew it) than to buy the knitting loom... but what fun would that be?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009 05:11:33 AM by Muria » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
ALL the boards craftalong: 11/40
Beginning wister
Will personal swap for coins from 1944
Tephra
« Reply #913 on: April 13, 2009 07:43:00 AM »

While the blood scarf is really icky, using tubing to make a knitting garment would be an interesting alternative to the camel backpacks that cyclists use to stay hydrated. The only real problem is that your liquid would be warm from body heat: maybe tea would be a good fit (tastes pretty good either hot or cold)?

But what I really came here to ask: is it possible to do lace knitting on a knitting board (not necessarily the Knifty Knitter). I looked at knittingboard.com, and didn't see any directions for how to accomplish it (I have a pattern I want to do, but regular knitting means that my summer sweater isn't going to be done until maybe next summer). Of course, it would be cheaper for me just to buy a sweater (or some sweater knit and sew it) than to buy the knitting loom... but what fun would that be?

I was thinking the tubing would be great for a color changing garment.

As to the lace knitting, yes and no. Lace is just yarn overs and decreases so that is no problem, however, where those yarn overs and increases happen is important. If they happen in the same row (the lace pattern maintains the same stitch count throughout) then it will work on a knitting board/loom. However, if the increases happen on one row and the matching decreases on another then knitting it on a board, while still possible becomes extremely work intensive.

For example, the lace pattern I'm knitting currently increases 6sts per pattern repeat over 6 rows (3 increase rows, 3 purl backs) and then decreases all 6sts in the next row. To do it on a loom you'd have to move every stitch (minus the ones before the first increase) to another peg on each increase row, in fact you'd have to move every stitch after the yarn over for each yarn over you make in the row. If you had 20 pattern repeats you'd move stitches 40 times for that row since there are two yarn overs in a repeat. When it came time to do the k7tog you'd have to shift all the stitches again, and since I doubt you could get the stitch from 6 pegs away onto the first peg you'd have to shift all the stitches more than once for each decrease as well. So while it would be possible to knit that lace on a board/loom I think most people would just get out of the needles.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mieljolie
« Reply #914 on: April 13, 2009 11:39:52 AM »

This was one of my biggest annoyances with the knifty knitter sets.  You could alway try making your own adjustable loom.  Smiley   (http://knitty-witty.blogspot.com/2008/12/making-easy-knitting-loom.html)

Forgive me for going on and on about this in the past, but on my homemade loom I can increase/decrease at any peg by just adding/removing the desired pegs.  Being attached with rubberbands, it's pretty easy to remove and add them.  No need to move stitches around.  And, the distance between the pegs stays even.  It's even possible to just move the peg temporarily out of the way and bring it back in when you need it.  It works very similar to the knitting board loom clips, except that you can do it anywhere on the loom instead of just on the ends.  So, making your own might be something to consider.  It is very easy to do.  When time permits, I plan to put up some more indepth tutorials on how to accomplish this.  In the mean time, if anyone has questions, I can try and answer them.

Here are some examples using decreases:

doll-sized cone-shaped hat
child-sized bear hat

...As to the lace knitting, yes and no. Lace is just yarn overs and decreases so that is no problem, however, where those yarn overs and increases happen is important. If they happen in the same row (the lace pattern maintains the same stitch count throughout) then it will work on a knitting board/loom. However, if the increases happen on one row and the matching decreases on another then knitting it on a board, while still possible becomes extremely work intensive.

For example, the lace pattern I'm knitting currently increases 6sts per pattern repeat over 6 rows (3 increase rows, 3 purl backs) and then decreases all 6sts in the next row. To do it on a loom you'd have to move every stitch (minus the ones before the first increase) to another peg on each increase row, in fact you'd have to move every stitch after the yarn over for each yarn over you make in the row. If you had 20 pattern repeats you'd move stitches 40 times for that row since there are two yarn overs in a repeat. When it came time to do the k7tog you'd have to shift all the stitches again, and since I doubt you could get the stitch from 6 pegs away onto the first peg you'd have to shift all the stitches more than once for each decrease as well. So while it would be possible to knit that lace on a board/loom I think most people would just get out of the needles.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

eclecticdreams
« Reply #915 on: May 13, 2009 02:17:51 PM »

This thread is so helpful...I haven't even read it all and already I've picked up a lot of great info.

I started getting into the loom knitting just a couple months ago when I found two Knifty Knitter looms at the thrift store for $2.  My sister had shown me something she'd made with a knifty knitter some the year before, so I for $2 I thought I'd try it and now I love it.

One of my favorite projects so far is that I used one of the Knifty Knitter flower looms to knit a water bottle carrier out of plarn.  I wish I had taken a picture of it, but I gave it to my sister before I thought to take a pic.  I came up with a simple trick to keep the pegs in the flower loom though (since they are made to come out easily).  All I did was place a small strip of masking tape on the back of each peg and then popped them back in.  Just a little bit of tape makes it snug enough that the pegs don't pop out as easily as you knit.

I then decided to try my hand at making my own knitting loom out of a tin can.  It was so fun to make...I want to make more.  Smiley  I also posted a tutorial for how I made it with pictures at eHow.  http://www.ehow.com/how_4919911_make-tin-can-knitting-loom.html

I now have started to look at almost any object and think...Can I make a knitting loom out of that?

« Last Edit: May 14, 2009 06:23:24 PM by eclecticdreams » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jatoha
« Reply #916 on: May 13, 2009 06:45:24 PM »

Hi eclecticdreams!! Welcome! Your ehow article is really good!

If you haven't read this whole thread (and, gosh, it would take forever it's so long now!), you maybe haven't gotten to mieljolie's cool homemade loom.  You might be interested in it. 

Here's one picture of it from this thread a few pages back: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=51877.msg3281050;topicseen#msg3281050

and here's her tutorial on her blog: http://knitty-witty.blogspot.com/2008/12/making-easy-knitting-loom.html

I've been meaning to try this out, but, you know how it is, too many crafts, too little time!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria
« Reply #917 on: May 14, 2009 06:08:56 PM »

I've been meaning to try this out, but, you know how it is, too many crafts, too little time!  Cheesy

Me too, though my primary reason for procrastination (apart from my natural tendency towards procrastination) is that I haven't  amassed the materials yet (was thinking I didn't have pick up sticks, but I also don't have the rubberbands).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
ALL the boards craftalong: 11/40
Beginning wister
Will personal swap for coins from 1944
eclecticdreams
« Reply #918 on: May 14, 2009 06:26:11 PM »

Thanks Jatoha.

And if I see plastic PickUp sticks anywhere I'll snag some.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009 06:27:19 PM by eclecticdreams » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aaurora
« Reply #919 on: May 17, 2009 02:27:46 PM »

hi all, im a beginner on the knifty and ive made a few hats so far.

just wondering how would i go about making a cylinder shape on the round loom? I think it has something to do with decreasing stitches for the project to get narrower and narrower, but I can't figure it out.

Thanks heaps Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 104 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a ‘Breakfast Club Sandwich’
Jalapeno-Cheddar Corn Bread Recipe for the Super Bowl
The Potato Express: Does It Work?!
How to Make a Cheese Soufflé with Bacon-Arugula Salad
KD101: Slow Cooker White Bean Chicken Chili
Latest Blog Articles
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...