A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,551
Currently Running With Scissors:
404 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 104
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knifty Knitters!  (Read 176293 times)
Tags for this thread: knitting_loom  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

wifeofbath

Tiber Swim Team

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2005 08:25:07 AM »

I bought the Knifty Knitter set sometime last month. They're a lot of fun. I've made a bunch of hats and knitted dishcloths, and Sunday I made a Hogwarts scarf, all except adding the fringe; if I'd gotten on my bottom and gotten looming earlier I would have had two scarves ready for our trip to see the GoF movie yesterday, but I didn't.

I reviewed the Knifty Knitters on my blog already (http://auntiesuzanne.blogspot.com/2005/11/knifty-knitters.html), and all I would add to that is that I found it helpful to add a dot of white enamel paint to the top of the first peg on each loom.

Oh, and because I had to get out my crochet hook to take flat panels off, they've inspired me to learn or relearn some crochet stitches.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"An old cloak makes a new jerkin..." (Wm Shakespeare, recycling and DIY enthusiast)
taped_on_wings
Queen of ill-fated physical comedy

Leave the politics to madmen

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2005 08:28:19 PM »

wifeofbath, I love all your links!  So very helpful!

Hooray for Black Friday!  Michaels had the set of round looms on sale, so I got that and then grabbed the purple rectangular one too.  I also got the little pattern booklet, but only because I liked the fact that the instructional pictures were in color adn the writing was a bit bigger.  I already have half a scarf done (on the purple one), have finished a hat on the green one -- which was way too small for my enormous head  Tongue so I gave it to my friend, and I'm almost done with a newborn hat.

About that newborn hat...could anyone help me with the number of rounds I should do?  I'm up to 18 now.

Oooo!  I'm so excited now! Cheesy

~K
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.robotheartsquid.etsy.com
http://www.wists.com/taped_on_wings
http://theonlyevidence.blogspot.com/

Before birds get sucked into jet engines, do they ever think, "Is that Rod Stewart in first class?" ~Eddie Izzard
rostitchery

almost perfect is good enough

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2005 08:19:41 AM »

i love my knifty knitters!

for newborn, i don't go by the number of rows, i measure for length, about 5"-6" is PLENTY.  that gives room to grow.

i don't make the turned brims for newborns either, i make rolled brims because that also gives room to grow.  while i was in labor my midwife knitted the most beautiful hat for my baby, it had a rolled brim and was beaded and it fit from birth until she was almost one year old.  yes, i made my poor child wear her hat when it was far too warm because, a) i was a new mom and was worried she'd freeze to death;  and b) it was a very cute hat and i wanted to make sure she wore it as much as possible.  Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

who i am: www.ella-echo.com
what i do: www.rostitchery.com

"when was the last time you did something for the first time?"
taped_on_wings

« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2005 05:51:33 PM »

i love my knifty knitters!

for newborn, i don't go by the number of rows, i measure for length, about 5"-6" is PLENTY.  that gives room to grow.

i don't make the turned brims for newborns either, i make rolled brims because that also gives room to grow.  while i was in labor my midwife knitted the most beautiful hat for my baby, it had a rolled brim and was beaded and it fit from birth until she was almost one year old.  yes, i made my poor child wear her hat when it was far too warm because, a) i was a new mom and was worried she'd freeze to death;  and b) it was a very cute hat and i wanted to make sure she wore it as much as possible.  Smiley

Thanks.  After the 20th row, I just decided to measure it, added a couple more rows, and bound off.  I used the rolled brim too.  I was thinking that a baby would rather not have a tight-fitting brim...  I just need to know more people with babies now!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Before birds get sucked into jet engines, do they ever think, "Is that Rod Stewart in first class?" ~Eddie Izzard
pearsonchick
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2005 02:54:57 AM »

If anyone's looking for a good deal on the KK's, I found the set of 4 for $1, $5, and $9 on ebay...or $20 if you buy it now.

I'm not sure about in the States, but here (Can) Lewiscraft is selling the KK's individually for $10 per hoop!

I bought one with someone...long story, and needless to say I have yet to use it but she's someone who doesnt knit and she's churning out legwarmers like NO tomorrow.

Also, the KK style of knitting reminds me of Hot Loops.

....anyone remember hot loops?   Undecided  They were wicked fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

.: even a broken clock is right twice a day :.

Dotee swap!
Garden supply swap!
ilovemyff
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2005 10:39:04 PM »

My husband got himself a Nifty Knitter at Michaeal's, the whole set for $9, and he's been churning out hats and scarves like mad. His stitches are kind of slanted to the left though. Is that normal or is he doing something wrong?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shoegirl
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2005 05:39:40 PM »

In the Jan. 06 issue of Creative Knitting, there is a pattern for the blue loom called "tote whatever" and it's a little bag to hold small things like your cell phone or your ipod. I haven't tried it yet, but it looks like a fun thing to make especially with scrap yarn
THIS ROCKS   Logged
taped_on_wings

« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2005 06:37:03 PM »

If anyone's looking for a good deal on the KK's, I found the set of 4 for $1, $5, and $9 on ebay...or $20 if you buy it now.

I'm not sure about in the States, but here (Can) Lewiscraft is selling the KK's individually for $10 per hoop!

I bought one with someone...long story, and needless to say I have yet to use it but she's someone who doesnt knit and she's churning out legwarmers like NO tomorrow.

Also, the KK style of knitting reminds me of Hot Loops.

....anyone remember hot loops?   Undecided  They were wicked fun!

I just bought a set of round ones at Michaels for $10...I think they're normally $15 for the set. 

And Hot Loops?!  Did I read that correctly?  Man, I loved those! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rostitchery

almost perfect is good enough

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2005 10:30:55 AM »

My husband got himself a Nifty Knitter at Michaeal's, the whole set for $9, and he's been churning out hats and scarves like mad. His stitches are kind of slanted to the left though. Is that normal or is he doing something wrong?

that's right, loom knitting using the e-wrap makes a twisted knit stitch.  you can make a regular knit stitch by not wrapping the pegs, just lay the yarn flat and knit off but you have to do this one peg at a time because of the tightness of the stitch.  to purl, you pull the bottom loop up THRU the top loop, then take the top loop off, leaving the bottom loop on.

you can do all sorts of neat stitches on a loom, and i'm developping new patterns for things every day.  i became addicted to these things in just a few daysl.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

who i am: www.ella-echo.com
what i do: www.rostitchery.com

"when was the last time you did something for the first time?"
ilovemyff
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2005 01:36:08 PM »

Thanks for your invaluable info! I will pass it on. Hubby is down to making toilet paper cozies, so if you have any interesting patterns to share, please please do.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 104 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to make a Medium Sized Bowl 2 - Trimming and Using a Giffin Grip
How to use Two Clays for a Marble Effect
Finished Pieces from the Kiln - Follow Up
How to make a Porcelain Vessel with Wire Inlay
How to Decorate with Slips and Carvings - Part 2
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...