A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,091
Currently Running With Scissors:
648 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knifty Knitters!  (Read 170191 times)
Tags for this thread: knitting_loom  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1010 on: January 02, 2011 08:06:12 PM »

You know, I hate using homespun for knitting and crocheting only because it is hard to frog!  I have a few skeins lying around...I might just have to try that one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1011 on: January 02, 2011 08:52:03 PM »

I have a half dozen skeins of Homespun! But I don't have the yellow loom lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 3/19

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
LaughingLark
« Reply #1012 on: January 03, 2011 06:12:49 AM »

Anyone else notice the difference between the Darice looms and the original Provocraft Knifty Knitter? I think the Darice is easier to use, since they have a little cutout notch-type thing at the base of each peg. I have an easier time hooking my yarn with less effort. I first noticed this while watching somebody's youtube and seeing that their loom had these notches, and mine did not. I ended up finding a set of the Darice ones and buying them to replace my KK's. This is not a great picture, but if you look closely at the enlarged image, you can see what I mean about the bottom of the pegs. The notch is molded into the base ring, and it allows you to pick up your loop faster. I found mine at Hobby Lobby, but they are readily available online.
http://www.amazon.com/Darice-1171-58-Round-Plastic-Knitting/dp/B001GAHFHY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1294063008&sr=8-2
They are just like the KK's, other than that. If someone was planning to buy a set of looms, this might be something to consider. I'm always looking for the most ergonomic way to do things, and I think (at least for me) the Darice is noticeably better.

My Darice version of the big yellow loom is a pinkish lavender instead. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #1013 on: January 03, 2011 06:25:01 AM »

Do you mean the cut outs in each peg that allows you to slip you hook into to get the yarn over the peg?  Mine has those---maybe you have an older set?

I have found that since I have been using the empty pen to go around the pegs, it is a lot easier on my wrists...I also got a rubber/foam pencil holder and taped it to my hook to make it more ergonomic...I have arthritis so anything to help with that is what I am looking for! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LaughingLark
« Reply #1014 on: January 03, 2011 07:01:46 AM »

Do you mean the cut outs in each peg that allows you to slip you hook into to get the yarn over the peg?  Mine has those---maybe you have an older set?

No. All the KK looms are flat around the base. That's where you might have to move your wrist more if your hook goes below the peg and into that hole the KK looms have. It's annoying to have your hook catch there.  I took a couple of pictures to illustrate the difference.  Smiley

My KK adult hat loom. I love this loom, because it has a slightly tighter sett than the other KK's, but whips up quick hats. If you look at the base ring, you will see that it is flat and smooth all around the ring. Every KK loom I have is made this way.

Whereas on the Darice loom, there is a notch or indentation directly below each peg. This allows for smoother action when hooking the yarn. It's kind of a bigger deal when using a novelty or bumpy yarn like the Lion Homespun, at least for me. My hook catches in the little hole on the KK's some of the time, which is a minor annoyance, but adds up to hand fatigue over the course of some marathon crafting. I tend to do things in binges.  Cheesy

My hands have less problems when using the Darice. Just something to think about when loom shopping, or buying a set to give as a gift, especially for an older (ahem-more seasoned) crafter.

I thought the pegs might come out more easily on the Darice, but so far, they are holding up fine for me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LaughingLark
« Reply #1015 on: January 03, 2011 07:25:40 AM »

I put these rubber grippies on my hook. It was a pain to get them on there, but once in place they really help a lot. When I pulled them on, they rolled over on themselves like a pair of stocking does and I had to keep tugging them up and flattening them out until they were where I wanted them to be. It didn't take very long, but was harder than I expected. But now that they are on, they have stayed put through many projects with no slippage.

Those hatch marks on the paper are how I am keeping track of the first ten rounds of the cowl. I get interrupted. A lot! I would never remember where I am without writing it down. The first ten rows have a different wrap that the rest of the project. Once past the first ten, I don't need to bother counting any more, just keep going until the cowl is long enough.  Smiley
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011 07:28:14 AM by LaughingLark » THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #1016 on: January 03, 2011 07:27:59 AM »

Oh--I see now! What a small but great difference!  I think I am going to use my coupon to get a new set if they are available at Michaels or Joann's!

I plan on using my knitters more this year and that would be a big help!

Thanks Laughing Lark!!!

Your hook looks like mine--I finally glued the foam thing on with E600! Cheesy

I have a row counter but I prefer the good old fashioned hatch marks as well! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LaughingLark
« Reply #1017 on: January 03, 2011 07:44:12 AM »

Joann has them online:
http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/productdetail.jsp?pageName=search&flag=true&PRODID=xprd1144475

With the 40% off coupon, that's a pretty good buy.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mega Crafter
Mega Man Maniac

View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: January 05, 2011 06:26:26 PM »

I obtained two new looms for my collection a couple of days ago. They came from this set. I wanted it for the looms because it was a cheap way of getting them - I have no plans to make the somewhat scary-looking bear. Tongue (I'm sure I can put the included yarn to good use, though.)

One of the included looms is a small six-peg one for making cords, but the larger one is a bit more interesting - it's a tiny little bit smaller than the smallest sized Darice loom (my loom set is the Darice kind - those notches in the base are very useful), and it has pegs that are quite a bit closer together.

I think these are going to prove very handy for me, since what I'm now doing is making a plushie using them, and my smallest Darice loom.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011 06:28:44 PM by Mega Crafter » THIS ROCKS   Logged
LaughingLark
« Reply #1019 on: January 05, 2011 08:14:46 PM »

Those are cool little looms, Mega Crafter! Can't wait to see what you make with them. I wonder if I can get that brand in the U.S. I like the bigger of the two very much. I'm a sucker for knitting looms, and haven't seen one like that before.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Cook Ma Po Tofu
How to Make Salmon Tikka
Asian Grilled Vegetable Salad
What Is Paneer
Using Turmeric in Cooking
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...