A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 296,706
Currently Running With Scissors:
807 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Here? Ornament Ideas?  (Read 3066 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

unladylike
« on: November 12, 2003 11:15:03 PM »

I am new tonight and not sure if this is the best category, but I'm looking for some ideas for handmade christmas ornaments - nothing that involves styrofoam balls or sequins, please!  thanks, Laura
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Just to be is a blessing; just to live is holy"- Rabbi Abram Heschel

"To create is divine." - Unladylike
leah
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

formerly "the craftster admin" - viva craftster!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2003 09:40:38 AM »

I'm looking for some ideas for handmade christmas ornaments - nothing that involves styrofoam balls or sequins, please!

Hi! At craft store like Michael's you can buy clear, glass, ball ornaments and then you could paint on designs or words with a fine brush.

I also think that felt could be fun. You could cut the felt into the shape of an animal and decorate it with embroidery or something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want to support Craftster? Find out about becoming a Friend of Craftster!

{ craftastic.com | leahkramer.com | helloadorable.com }
jmesdiylounge
That girl is crafty like ice is cold! ~Beastie Boys

Sew it up!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2003 10:54:48 AM »

http://www.jacquardproducts.com/support/projects/pearlex/ornaments.htm

I love these. I made some myself Although I need to recoat them with acrilic paint.

I will be posting pics on my website soon. (http://www.freewebs.com/jmesdiylounge)
But I think I will make my own directions w/ step by step pics as well. (But school is taking over my life!!!)

happy Crafting, Jaime
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My shop Boatload of Craft is here!!
Boatload of Craft - My Shop/MySpace/Flickr
faintlymcabre
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2003 10:22:46 PM »

You can do amazing things with foam balls and sequin pins - there's about a billion and one things you can do with these.  They're cheap as all get out (like in the neighborhood of 450 of them for 50 cents).  You could make patterns, just cover a ball all over, etc.  I recently tried something called Foam Tastic, and it's supposed to leave a smooth surface on your foam ball, but I must have done it wrong, since it was just as bumpy afterwards.

I just recently made an ornament with some sequin pins.  I used the pins to attach bits of pink sequin fabric to a ball, then gathered some sheer white fabric with a print of silver stars around it, and this time, when I secured the folds and gathers to the ball with the sequin pins, I used silver sequins with them, layering silver star sequins on the white sheer fabric covered in stars.  I even used the pins to secure the wire to the ball (concealed within the poof of gathered fabric on top) for a hanger, and just threaded ribbon through the hanger.  This is a very sparkly ornament!  I wish I could take a picture of it, but I've lost my installation CD for my digital camera, and of course, my hard drive died recently, so it's no longer *on* my machine.  Sequin pins are a very, very good thing.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crankybat
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2003 10:09:58 AM »

My first Christmas out on my own, I had a 6' tree and nothing to put on it.  I was lucky enough to live not so far from the ocean, and having lots of beach-loving friends and family, I ended up with a huge bag of seashells (whole and in pieces).

I took all the larger ones, sprayed them with a generous coat of silver *fine* glitter spray (it made them more shiny than anything else) glued silver ribbon loops on them, and voila!  I had a tree filled in no time flat.

I'd done it as a quickie-and-cheapie, but I got more compliments on those ornaments than any others I've ever done.  LOL
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crankybat
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2003 10:13:51 AM »

Also (sorry for the multiple posts, I just remembered...), I don't know how you feel about lacy/Victorian-looking ornaments, but another super-simple one is to get those small (4" or so) doilies from the craft store, and stiffen them flat (craft stores sell stiffener, or use thinned white glue).  Then they can be decorated however... I usually leave them as is or glitter them lightly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Midtowner

Where did I put that needle/bead/yarn...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2003 11:29:53 AM »

Norwegain Hearts
http://www.dltk-kids.com/crafts/xmas/norwegian_christmas_ornament.htm

I'm going to make some of these to fill up our bigger, hand-me-down tree.  

You could do these in fabric with a backing, or any variety papers - plain to fancy.  
THIS ROCKS   Logged
melidomi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2003 11:58:48 AM »

You can make your christmas cookies with a hole in them - then after baking tie a ribbon through the hole  and hang them on the tree - delicious and decorative.   I did this one Christmas in college when I had an on-campus apartment.  and when people come by they can have one as a snack.

My grandparents have these ornaments they made for their first christmas - they are walnuts (whole, in the shell) that are painted and glittered with a loop of ribbon glued on.

You could do a couple of those clove studded oranges - they smell great, and you can hang them in a closet after Christmas, but they're kind of heavy.  To make these, tie a 3/4" ribbon around your orange and make a loop at the top.  Tack it on in a couple of places with pins.  Then start pushing whole cloves through the skin of the orange.  Cover all of the exposed orange skin with cloves.  After Christmas, make sure it hangs in a dry place, that way the orange will slowly dry out instead of rotting!  As it dries it will shrink a little, so you may have to replace the ribbon.

And of course there are always paper chains.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
binny
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2003 02:46:27 PM »

I know this isn't much help, but I want to eventually have enough space for a Christmas tree and do it themed like crankybat's.  Feather boas (idea was sparked from somebody's boa-wrapped wreath post on here), paper cranes, or Barbies.  I'm sure there are tons of other random themes that a person could come up with, like metal doodads from the hardware store, etc.   I have always liked weird holiday items, my mom never felt like she had to follow tradition.  About 10-15 years ago my mom decided that she wanted a deciduous (not fir) Christmas tree.   She put all clear glass ornaments on it with white lights and blue paper bows.  Very interesting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
smash
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2003 08:07:12 AM »

Voiceofreason posted a great ornament idea using scrap yarn (says the girl with acres of yarn remnants)! Check out her detailed and illustrated instructions in the Misc. Completed Projects thread.

Someone else linked to this site in response to a paper bead question, but surfing around I saw these ornaments made from weaving thread.

Both are the same idea, I think. I might spray paint my yarn balls so they're all silver or gold.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2003 08:09:55 AM by smash » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Origins of Tintin
How to Create a Phenakistoscope
Supervillain Origins: Electro
How to Clean Oil Paint Off Paintbrushes
Supervillain Origins: The Riddler
Latest Blog Articles
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...