A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 298,774
Currently Running With Scissors:
504 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tutorial - how to take effective jewellery and other small goods photography  (Read 24520 times)
Tags for this thread: product_photography , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Rock_n_rollKitty
Pin-Up Wench

I Walked With a Zombie...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2005 11:20:18 PM »

Thankyou! i really think this is a nifty idea.. too bad i dont have a box big enough to fit me in it...

o wait.... refrigerators come in boxes dont they..

Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When I saw You Piss on the rug, it was then that i knew it was love, true love..
Hannah Z
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2005 11:58:33 AM »

I would think a refrigerator would come in a pretty big box - yep! If not, I'm sure a shop or something would be happy enough to give you a box if you asked.

Has anyone had time to try it yet?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

arrhythmia
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2005 06:06:49 PM »

Not yet....just came back from a week of R&R.  It's on my list Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

arrhythmia
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2005 12:34:00 PM »

Just got hubby to make a box for me. Gonna go take some pics and play with types of lightbulbs. Gotta download the GIMP, too. Pics soon...I hope.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

arrhythmia
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2005 01:29:32 PM »

Hannah Z - I took a few pics with the new box set up. I am having trouble because my bulbs are too yellow/harsh and they wash out the color - so the road has been a little bumpy. I'm gonna try it later with the reveal(daylight) bulbs and see if I can improve it.

My GIMP experience has been a little rough. I'm not that techie and it's fighting with my system Windows ME and aborting after I work on an image. I lose the whole thing. So, again, I'm not doing too well. I may see if I can download the trial Photoshop and play with it a little. So, I'm not able to retouch the photos too well. HOWEVER>>>

Here's a link to a couple of photos I've taken with the new setup. The Ice Cream pic is the large one on the page with the white background.

http://ddskies.freespaces.com/icecream.html

Here it is with other pics for comparison.
http://ddskies.freespaces.com/bagsmedium1.html

Here's another bag with the lightbox.
http://ddskies.freespaces.com/navyfloral.html

Here it is again with others.
http://ddskies.freespaces.com/bagsbig4.html

Both bags are tough ones to photograph outside, as they wash out in the sun. So I am really happy to have another way to take pics that will work on 'tough subjects'. As you can see, I haven't retouched the photos to take out all the background stuff. I'm still new to this and am still experimenting. Already, though, it is paying off. Thanks for your great tute. I'll post again when I get a 'much better' pic.

Oh, btw, I love your website and all your awesome photos!! Thanks for sharing your photo techniques. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gherkin
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2005 04:03:40 PM »

What a great tute!  I am am a bit confused as to how you take the picture of the item.  If the lights are hanging through the hole in the top of the box and you are viewing through the isde of the box, does the item sit inside on the bottom 'level' of the box?  If so, how can you get such a good overhead angle (as the lights should be in the way!) Huh

Confused Gherkin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TessTessi

Lily is my best friend

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2005 10:55:26 AM »

HannahZ: Thank you for the great tutorial!!  I haven't built the light box yet, but your suggestion to download gimp was great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Holy flipping cow. I changed my profile picture after 4 years on here.

Love Alpacas?  Go visit: Alpaca Love Club
Come visit my website!  www.madebytess.com
Hannah Z
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2005 02:47:36 PM »

Sorry its taken me so long to reply to this!

arrhythmia - I can't get any of your links Sad and I'd love to see the pictures. Don't know what to suggest about Gimp with windows as I use Firefox. Have you checked the white balance on your camera as that might help with the yellow colours you are getting.

gherkin - Yep, the lights can get in the way sometimes! I either take the photo at a slight angle which can work well for some things, or hover the camera above the item and snap away. I can see on the screen on the back of my camera whats actually inside the picture.

TessTessi - Glad your finding Gimp useful, I find out new things every time I use it:) You can hit the 'auto' button in the Colour Levels window and that will adjust the light balence automatically. So simple I really don't know why it took me so long to try it out! Sometimes it does make the colour go a bit nutty, but then you just press reset and do it the normal way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

arrhythmia
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2005 07:51:24 PM »

Hannah Z - No, I have a dorky kiddie camera with no white balance. I don't know what's up with the links. They pull up for me in lots of browsers. (mystified.....?!) Sorry you can't see them. I'll try to post them here in Craftster and put them in the page.

The GIMP thing is because they aren't updating the project anymore for Windows Me or earlier versions. So I can't save anything I do. I finally just took it off my computer. If I could get it to work, it'd be an excellent tool. I'm going to try the free temporary version of Photoshop or Adobe Illustrator, I think.  Here are a couple of the pics.

As you can see I didn't get to do much with the lines/corners, since I couldn't get the gimp to work. I tried the daylight bulbs and had only slightly better success, so I think I just need the photoshop/photo editor.

Thanks for all the help!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2005 08:33:41 PM by arrhythmia » THIS ROCKS   Logged

clare00
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2005 05:06:57 AM »

Great tutorial. I've been taking pictues of jewley for a while and I have always had trouble getting the set-up quite right. 

I just thought I would add that scanning jewlery has given me some really  great images.  I usually lay the item out on the scanner bed and then use a white shoe box top to  cover the piece so that the scanner lid doesn't alter my set-up. 

Then  hit scan and... voila!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Organize and Analyze the Images in Adobe Bridge CS3
How to Customize the Bridge Workspace in Adobe Bridge CS3
How to Setup Preferences and Color Management in Adobe Bridge CS3
How to Work With Adobe Bridge CS3
How to Save the Workspace Settings in Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...