A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 300,899
Currently Running With Scissors:
354 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: From the people who bought you the army bowl!!  (Read 1330 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MonkeyBrains

I'm a llama! No no.. I'm a chicken!!

View Profile
« on: May 25, 2005 06:44:56 PM »

The Plectrum Light

http://www.mosleymeetswilcox.com/rock/rockplectrum.htm

Thoughts, ideas anyone..

Glue, heat, what??

It's oh so good..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
quack
the wooley duck

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2005 06:58:35 PM »

I'm GUESSING that you could maybe do it by just heating the guitar picks with a heat gun and then sticking them together to form the shape but I don't know how permanent it would be. Maybe you could use the gun to help shape them and then use some kind of glue or sealer to keep them together. Would you have to use a really low wattage bulb if you used glue though? You wouldn't want it to fume or melt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MonkeyBrains

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2005 07:11:36 PM »

That's what I've been thinking as I sit here staring at it on my comp screen..

The bulb would have to be low wattage, otherwise it would either (maybe) melt the glue or unstick the previously heated joins.. Hmmmm..  And of course if the bulb produced to much heat I could end up with melted picks all over the floor..

Thinking I'm going to have to call in the experts on this one..  My friend is a Plastics teacher at high school..  Will discuss with him & let you know what I find you..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
motleykitten

Fuck nosejobs. Jewish Noses are HOT!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2005 09:31:08 AM »

Woah, that is cool. It would be worth it to only use the lamp every once in a while just so you could have it in the corner of a room or something, who cares if you can't keep it on for a long time. There is that glue, E2400 or whatever, that causes cancer and is not for sale in California because it is so toxic, but damn does it make stuff stick (as I write this I am on my laptop in Environmental Science lecture, so having just said that is probably bad karma)!!!!!!!!!!! A word of advice- make sure to use the light-gauge picks, because otherwise, the light won't shine through. I would also use a bowl as a mold so that the thing turns out perfectly round (do one side at a time, and make sure one of the sides has a hole to put the lamp kit through) and then glue them together. Post it if you make it! It will turn out cool, hopefully. It is a kick-ass idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Up yours, young people. You and your rock and roll 8-track tapes!
crafteratheart
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2005 09:23:11 PM »

I don't mean to rain on any parades or anything like that... but guitar picks can get VERY expensive, especially the amount you'd need for this project.  At least in my experience (I made a couple SUPER CUTE frames covered in guitar picks for my bf's christmas present) and would hate for someone to invest loads of money unless they were aware how much this project would probably cost. 

That said, I LOVE the light, and if I had a bunch of picks sitting around I would be all over this project!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Retro_Turtle13

Im a Barbie Girl! In a Barbie World...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2005 10:20:19 AM »

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo cool!!! I love it!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit Grannyscupboard.net for great bath products made of all natural ingrediants. Soaps,Bath Balls, Shower Gels, Bubble Bath, Luxurious handcrafted soaps, and more. They are all at your fingertips! Go now!
MonkeyBrains

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2005 08:39:14 AM »

I don't mean to rain on any parades or anything like that... but guitar picks can get VERY expensive, especially the amount you'd need for this project.  At least in my experience (I made a couple SUPER CUTE frames covered in guitar picks for my bf's christmas present) and would hate for someone to invest loads of money unless they were aware how much this project would probably cost. 

That said, I LOVE the light, and if I had a bunch of picks sitting around I would be all over this project!!

I was also thinking about this..  And kinda figured I might get some kind of discount if I bought in bulk..  Since seeing this & being ever so enthused I've disappeared overseas & had kinda forgoten about it (until I have a shit boring temp job & nothing to do but surf the net) and will probably leave it until i return home again..  There I have a friend who works in a music store that sells picks, so hopefully she can sort me out with some el cheapo's..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Cut Rounded Bangs
Block Coloring a British (Bob Haircut)
How to Hold Hairdressing Scissors
Clipper Cut - Ivan Zoot Clipper Cut Technique
Layered Haircut: How to Style Layered Hair (Hair Cutting Tips)
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...