A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,154
Currently Running With Scissors:
650 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Vogue sew-a-long?  (Read 3926 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LaSirenita
« on: September 02, 2005 04:08:44 AM »

Ok, so the Vogue patterns are on sale at Joann's on Saturday (sep. 3rd) for $3.99
Now i have no clue what one(s) to buy but I figured if someone else either has one they've been thinking about making, or a super cute one in mind, then I'm down for spending $3.99 for a pattern... and I'm sure a few more of you would be too!
So what should we make? =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RainyRamone
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2005 09:22:19 AM »

I must say, I'm liking this trench coat-like jacket:

http://store.sewingtoday.com/cgi-bin/voguepatterns/shop.cgi?s.item.V8110=x&TI=20002&page=1

Am I thinking too practical?  Well, there are some really pretty designer Vogue party dresses, and I'll admit to being a little bit intimidated by their complexity.  But that's what sewalongs are for, right?  Helping each other through the confusing parts.   Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Serenity now, insanity later..."    -Lloyd Braun-
LaSirenita
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2005 11:38:09 AM »

Ohh thats really cute! And I'm loving the *very easy*... I try to buy vogue average and I end up calling my mom every 15 minutes and having to fax  her parts of the pattern going "What the?!?!"
It looks really simple but could be super cute in some fun material... If no one else pops up with something else by tomorrow, I'm gonna go buy that one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RainyRamone
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2005 03:17:50 PM »

I especially like that jacket because I hate button placement and making button holes.  I don't see how a *lined* jacket could be so "Very Easy", but that's Vogue for ya!   Cheesy  Anyone else see any Vogue they like?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LaSirenita
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2005 05:00:27 PM »

Hmm.. all right, looks like that is a good one then!
=)
I talked one of the girls at my work into learning how to sew, and this is gona be her learning project! (I have a feeling this  will be more like 2 making 1 and 3/4 jackets and her doing 1/4 of the work, but thats cool, at least she'll be learning!)
This will be fun and cute! YAY!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RainyRamone
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2005 11:46:51 AM »

That's really nice, what you're doing for your friend.  I'm sure the two of you will have a lot of fun!

Okay, so I got Vogue 8110 at JoAnn's today (is anyone else sewing this?).  I was kinda unimpressed with the current wool selection at my JoAnn's, so I went with a bronze & black *cotton* herringbone suiting from the clearance section; nice texture, Halloween-y, machine washable (yes!)  This will be more of a Fall coat (which is totally frivolous in California).  Cheesy  And this is probably the only uninterrupted weekend I'll have to sew until Winter Break, so...off I go!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

amplified
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2005 11:20:00 PM »

I'm in....I bought a nice navy corduroy (with tiny pink polka dots) at Joann's today.  I haven't started cutting the fabric but will tomorrow.  I'll keep you updated on the progress...! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RainyRamone
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2005 08:20:37 AM »

Yay, glad more people are joining!  8110 has only (7) pieces, belt included.  The stylized collar is not tricky at all.  From what I can tell, there's no hand-sewing to do.  The lining is meant to fit the outside exactly, and you just machine stitch all around the collar, front, and bottom edges (with right sides together).  So I've finished with the cutting.  Don't know if I'll get to sew today - darned Labor Day barbeque!  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LaSirenita
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2005 10:25:58 PM »

Ok, so I've gotten the patterns for the 2 of us, and I have bought fabric as well. It's not so interesting, A green poplin/twill thing, but the Joanns near by is moving so EVERYTHING was on sale... can't beat $3 a yard!
I've sent my friend home with the pattern, her measurements and instructions to cut the pattern out in her size. I have a feeling I'll just make mine so I understand it then I'll walk her through hers. School eats my soul though so I may not be done that soon!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amplified
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2005 02:01:31 PM »

Has anyone started sewing yet?  I'm barely into it and already I have run into a problem---is it just me, or do pieces 1 and 2 not fit together at all??  I'm on step 4 of the instructions, pin side front section (2) to front section (1).  help!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RainyRamone
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2005 09:37:32 AM »

amplified: hmmm... I see what you mean.  Here are potential things that could be affecting your matching process:

1) If you lengthen or shorten the front, back, and sides, they must all be lengthened or shortened by the same amount (I shortened all of mine by 1");
2) Be sure you're trying to match up #1-Front with #2-Side Front, and not #4-Side Back.  They are similarly-shaped, so I had to mark my #4 with a "B" for Back;
3) I would follow Direction 2 - stay stitch, because areas on bias often strecth with pressing, handling, etc.

I did not sew this yet, but I pinned part of it.  When I pinned #1 to #2, I started with the curved part at the notches and put a pin at least every inch.  Then, from there, I pinned up to the top of the pieces and down to the bottom.  Mine did fit together fine.  Also, they're not meant to lay together flat, so even if they do fit, the two pieces pinned together will look weird.  Good luck, and tell us how you're doing!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amplified
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2005 06:15:27 PM »

Also, they're not meant to lay together flat, so even if they do fit, the two pieces pinned together will look weird.  Good luck, and tell us how you're doing!  Wink

That was exactly what I needed to hear!  I should've realized that, but I just had it in my head that they needed to fit together flat, like puzzle pieces.  Once I read your reply, it all clicked and I worked on the jacket all weekend.....here's my finished

http://www.thegreatironhighway.com/AMP/cordcoat1.jpg
http://www.thegreatironhighway.com/AMP/cordcoat2.jpg
http://www.thegreatironhighway.com/AMP/cordcoat3.jpg
http://www.thegreatironhighway.com/AMP/cordcoat4.jpg

I wish I had a better picture to show you but no one is around right now to take a picture of it on me.  I finished it with the belt, but it was kind of bothering me because it looked a little too much like a bathrobe with the belt.  So I sewed some snaps on the inside, and sewed decorative buttons on the outside.  (I'm still a little scared of making buttonholes, and after all the time I spent on the jacket this weekend I didn't want to risk ruining it by trying to make buttonholes.)

How is everyone else doing?  Has anyone else started sewing it yet?  
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013 01:41:41 PM by meleriffic - Reason: Changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged
RainyRamone
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2005 06:22:46 PM »

Holy smokes!  Your jacket rules!!!  And I LOVE your choice of fabrics...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

brena80

She isn't real... I can't make her real

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2005 07:56:37 AM »

That is a seriously cute jacket!   Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dianajeanne
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2005 02:49:10 PM »

I can't believe how cute that jacket is!!!!!!! awesome job! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Obama Shops at The GAP in NYC
DIY: Add Rhinestones to Your Sneakers!
Who Knew Veronica Mars Was This Stylish?
7 Fashion Staples That Transition from Winter to Summer
Top 5 Trends Americans Want to See Go Away
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...