A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,356
Currently Running With Scissors:
480 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How to write a press release?  (Read 1507 times)
Tags for this thread: press_release  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Serendipity Crafts
Serendipity Crafts

Elizabeth & Hugh

View Profile WWW
« on: September 01, 2005 07:07:35 PM »

We need help  Huh

We understand that a press release sent to the "right" places, can result in an increased online visability.

That being said, we can't seem to find any good examples of online craft shop press releases. To top it off we have just started but already we have a writers block. I think we just need a push in the right direction ....

Has anyone written a press release to advertise their online craft store? If so, did it produce the results you wanted?

Any suggestions, pushing or general help would be greatly appreciated!

Elizabeth & Hugh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Elizabeth & Hugh
Personalized Signature Platters & Souvenir Plates
Serendipity-Crafts.com
Serendipity-Crafts Photo Gallery
Etsy Store
fruithead
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2005 07:20:19 PM »

having studied journalism and worked a bit in it, i've gotten pretty familiar with press releases. reading any press release, crafty or not, will help you get the idea. you need a catchy, simple title and it needs to be brief.

a first line could be something like...

"a little good luck and unexpected fortune has a husband and wife team crafting full-time..."

sorta answer who, what, where, when, why, and how. any other writing questions about it, feel free to pm me. hope i helped a bit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bird nerd
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2005 09:17:18 PM »

From my media studies paper - template

preg_replace('/(.{49})/', '$1 ', '...........................................................................')

Template for Media Releases:

Client Name & Logo at top
The words ‘Media Release’ in large bold print go here
Date of issue

Any special conditions (e.g. embargoed until x date, or ‘for immediate release’)

Addressed to journalist by name, e.g. Attention Kim Smith

Address details of how you will send it to them (e.g. their email address if you will email it, their fax number if you will fax it)

Headline -- the single most important key point of your news in large bold print (but no capital letters except the first word and any proper nouns).  (Must be interesting and newsworthy but do not exaggerate and do not try to be clever with words or language – no puns or jokes in the headline please, leave that for the sub editors.)

Intro: 25 words or less, tells us exactly the who, what, when, and where of the news that the release is about

First para: tells us more detail about the most important newsworthy aspect of the issue including how and why (if necessary).

Subsequent paras: in decreasing order of importance, provide more detail on each key aspect of the story including especially:

•   Quotes from credible spokesperson or people (for example the CEO or senior management, or the person within the organisation with most senior responsibility for this issue, or an ‘expert’ such as an academic who has agreed to explain the issue or support your organisation’s case, or a ‘real person’ such as a customer who has agreed to tell their story about using the product or service)
•   Clear identification of who the credible spokespeople are (name, title, why they are experts or qualified to comment on the topic, their connection to your organisation/client)

At the bottom of the release put:

•   Detail of any available supplementary materials (e.g. ‘photos available upon request/on our website at www.whatever’, or ‘factsheet attached’)

•   Name, title, and contact details for any spokespeople who are available for further comment (give multiple contact methods e.g. fax, email, cell phone, home phone, office phone, website, pager)

•   Your name, title, and contact details (as the media liaison person) (give multiple contact methods)

At the very bottom put the word ‘ends’.

preg_replace('/(.{49})/', '$1 ', '...........................................................................')
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sadlyharmless
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2007 06:08:06 PM »

for an art show i am doing. i've never written one. does anyone have any advice or samples of ones that they've written? any help is appreciated!
thanks!
sally
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2007 09:38:47 AM »

I can't advise you on specifics, but here's a good rundown of the technical aspects:

http://www.promotingartists.com/artistscorner/12tips.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Oublei
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007 04:49:43 AM »

It is super easy, I promise!

Press releases serve two purpose: to inspire reporters to call you up to get more information and to serve AS the article.

Begin the press release with a contact person and include all contact information, including email address, phone numbers, and contact hours (if it doesn't matter, then don't include contact hours at all). If there's a website with pertinent information, include that as well.

For the press release, all you need are two or three complete paragraphs and a quote. Quote yourself if you want! It shouldn't take more than an hour, even if you're an absolute perfectionist. Smiley Oftentimes reporters will use your press release and add on their information gathered from calling you. This is great because YOU can decide how your article is written!

Some quick tips:
* Don't underestimate how busy reporters can be! Don't miss the phone call from the reporter, because you may not get them again!
* Email to EVERY media source: TV, radio, newspaper, magazine, etc. Every little bit makes a huge difference!
* Email to EVERY pertinent editor at each source! Since you're writing for an art show, shoot for the sections that include Community/Regional News, Entertainment, Business (if you're selling), and the General Editor.
* Follow up! Sometimes reporters skim over emails. Feel free to call them and chat them up about your story! If they are too busy, ask them when you can call back or ask if they will recommend you to a different reporter who might not be. Reporters are used to this and won't bat an eyelash at it.
* Call newsdesks every day about getting on the nightly news for the couple of weeks leading up to your show. Some nights they might have a slow night and would be grateful to cover an art show! If they've been keeping up with their email, it will take two seconds to know whether or not it's a slow night.
* Send SEVERAL press releases if you can help it. If you can send one out a couple months ahead of time, you're more likely to get featured in TV segments and newspaper articles that are focusing on your career and your work. Send one two weeks before so they can schedule you for a solid spot. Send one three days before so they can pick you up when they're scurrying for something last-minute!

It sounds really complicated and time-consuming, but it isn't. Smiley Feel free to post your press release here (or email it to me) and we can all give you whatever reassurance you may need. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Lauren Conrad Bans Body Shaming Words
Stila Stay All Day Eyeliner Review
How To Groom Your Eyebrows
Beauty Secrets To Feeling Confident All Summer Long
Quick Mid-Prom Beauty Tips
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...