A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,967
Currently Running With Scissors:
614 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 89
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: panta! (from a finnish pattern).  (Read 246424 times)
Tags for this thread: headband , pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

box of purls
« Reply #370 on: January 08, 2006 06:18:57 PM »

i am so in love with this!

the pattern seems to lead to a lost link. =[

Hey the pattern was translated by a couple of people and is on like page 6 or 8 of this thread. There's two different versions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PurpleHeather
« Reply #371 on: January 09, 2006 01:59:14 AM »

I've been eying up pantas for ages, and now I know how to knit[1] I'm going to give one a go Cheesy  The Llamas confused me at first, so I just searched through this thread for them Cheesy

Now I just need to get my mum to teach me how to purl Grin

[1] - I learned last week - I know how to do a knit stitch - *grins*

Edit:

fun4bambi - thanks for the link to stitchguide - videos Cheesy  Yay - now I understand more about what the heck I'm doing!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2006 03:51:57 AM by PurpleHeather » THIS ROCKS   Logged

peppersaskatoon
« Reply #372 on: January 09, 2006 06:31:30 AM »

here's mine!  (thank you, naiara et al!)

http://img1.yoxio.com/img/220980.jpg

i worked from the pattern on page 4 of this thread, but i started it about 5 times before i decided how i wanted to do the edges and increases, so i thought i'd write out the exact pattern i used (or would have used if i hadn't started with a partial ball and run out of yarn a couple rows short of the full 120) and post it in case it might be useful to anyone else...

materials:
about 75 yards debbie bliss cashmerino aran
size 5 (3.75 mm) needles
crochet hook, scrap yarn, tapestry needle

gauge:
12 rows of panta, when stretched a bit (in the direction that makes the ribs longer, not farther apart), should measure about one tenth the circumference of your head (i.e. probably about 2.2 inches)

section 1:

cast on 19 sts using a crochet provisional cast-on (i.e. using scrap yarn and crochet hook, chain until there are 19 little bumps on the back of your chain.  pull tail through last link in chain.  using knitting needles and main yarn, pu 19 sts through those little back bumps).  this counts as row 1.

row 2 (WS): slip the first st purl-wise.  [p2, k1] x 5, p3.
row 3: slip the first st knit-wise.  [k2, p1] x 5, k3.
repeat rows 2 and 3 until you've made 11 rows total.  your last row should be a right side row.

section 2:

row 12 (WS): slip the first st purl-wise.  [p2, m1 (i.e. insert left needle from back to front under strand between needles, knit strand normally), k1] x 5, p3.
row 13: slip the first st knit-wise.  [k2, p2] x 5, k3.

knit the knits and purl the purls for 10 more rows, always slipping the first stitch the appropriate way.

now work 2 more 12-row sections.  in the first row (WS) of each section, m1 right before working each knit rib (i.e. column of knit stitches).  then just keep knitting the knits and purling the purls (and slipping that first stitch), as you'll want to do whenever you aren't increasing or decreasing.

you've made one side of the panta.  now make the top by working a 24-row section, with that same old pattern of m1's in the first row only.

now, instead of increasing before those ws knit ribs, you want to decrease by knitting the first 2 sts of each knit rib together.  do this in the first row (WS) of a total of 4 12-row sections.

stretch panta around head.  if it's too tight, make a few more rows.  if it's too loose, rip out a few.

finally, using a long tail of yarn and some deep breaths, graft the end of the panta to the beginning, in pattern.  this may make you feel like your brain is breaking, but you'll be proud of yourself when you finish.  remove scrap yarn.  weave in ends and/or wear.

[edited to clarify a few things and because i got a better picture]
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011 01:53:16 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged
policyoftruth
"Eighth time's the charm!"

Fudgesicles?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #373 on: January 09, 2006 06:35:45 AM »

I've been eying up pantas for ages, and now I know how to knit[1] I'm going to give one a go Cheesy  The Llamas confused me at first, so I just searched through this thread for them Cheesy

Now I just need to get my mum to teach me how to purl Grin

[1] - I learned last week - I know how to do a knit stitch - *grins*

Same here Smiley I read Knitting For Dummies and am really looking forward to making a panta!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PurpleHeather
« Reply #374 on: January 09, 2006 07:00:13 AM »

peppersaskatoon - Thanks for your pattern - I feel like I understand the instructions for this a lot more- I may cast on for it tonight.  It'll make a nice break from the hugely complex cabled scarf I've been crocheting for months now!

policyoftruth - Hurrah for newbie knitters Cheesy  I hope yours goes well Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jinn
walking widdershins...

I'm ready for my detention Professor Snape.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #375 on: January 09, 2006 02:11:20 PM »

Here's mine.  Grin

THIS ROCKS   Logged

There is no life I know, to compare with pure imagination. Living there, you'll be free if you truly wish to be...
Pelowok
« Reply #376 on: January 09, 2006 05:10:57 PM »

Great Job!  It's wonderful, too, to have a name for those warm headband thingy's.... do you still need the help of an English speaking knitter?  I'd be happy to give you a hand if you'd like (it sounds as though people are pretty desperate for that pattern!)

THIS ROCKS   Logged
tinytallgirl
« Reply #377 on: January 10, 2006 01:30:58 PM »

They also have a panta pattern on http://www.soysilk.com/  under "Knitting w/Jenny"  I think it was inspired by this thread?  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What the deuce?
Poldalle
« Reply #378 on: January 10, 2006 05:32:29 PM »

Is this knit fairly loosely or more tightly? I'm thinking about knitting a panta, but I tend to knit rather too loose for the pattern I'm following.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crafty mama
ooh. snap crackle poop.

I'm a llama's mama!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #379 on: January 10, 2006 07:21:22 PM »

It was indeed inspired by this thread. My panta has fewer repeats and is made from soy, which is very stretchy, so it's shorter. And with fewer repeats, it's not as wide and it doesn't cover your ears, which is good if you a) live in arizona and b) talk on the phone a lot. I'm also working on a children's panta. But that will be a little while.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Under my mattress
I keep boxes of beautiful dreams
And late at night
When no ones in sight
They come out and whisper to me - J,LC
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 89 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
A Simple Recipe for Making Soap
Soap Making Troubleshooting
How To Make Liquid Soap
Expansion Plans of the Crocker Art Museum in Sacramento, California
How Quilting Can Help People in Need
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...