A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,163
Currently Running With Scissors:
449 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Favorite/Best Circular Needles??  (Read 2018 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

teryllynn1

WHY am I a Llama?????

View Profile
« on: April 20, 2004 09:33:41 PM »

I have been trying some patterns with circular needles, and find thay work so much easier for me - maybe the shorter length?? Anyway, the problem I am having is twofold - the cord (or whatever you call it) that connects the needles are way too stiff and curl (does that make sense?) AND the yarn gets stuck at the joint where the cord meets the needle?  Is it just me? Does anyone know of a nice smooth needles with a flexible cord?  I don't want to spend zillions of dollars trying to figure this out!!  Thanks! Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
meexie
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2004 01:44:10 AM »

What brand are you using now?  I like Addi Turbos, which will cost you a little more in cash but save you a load of frustration.  I also use bamboo circulars from Crystal Palace too.

The cord curl can be undone by soaking in warm water and smoothing it out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
skittermagoo
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2004 06:20:39 AM »

I love my Addi Turbos (alas, I only have one set); the cord is the most flexible and non-curly I've found, and there's not much, if any, "catch" at the join.  These are awesome, and I think are probably worth the price!

I also love my Denise interchangables; no "catch" there, either.  And my Clover bamboo circulars are nice, too, though the cord has to have time to relax.  I didn't know about the warm water trick, will try it tonight!

What kind of needles are you using?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please check out my new blog site:  www.skittermagoo.com
knittinknut

Legolas Lives!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2004 10:05:34 AM »

I've had the same problem with the curling but I've found out that after you've knitted a couple rows the curling doesn't really present a problem because the knitting kind of stretches it out.  Also about the snagging part I've never had this problem personally and I use some pretty cheap brands, but maybe you're just knitting really snug.  I don't know.  Sry I'm not that much help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cassiemarie
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2004 12:59:20 PM »

I have been using the "boye knitmates" sets where you buy the needles and cords seperatly, and they are pretty inexpensive.  So far i have had no problems with them except that the 12" ones were a little stiff at times.  When i first got them I soaked them in hot hot water so the kinks in them from their packaging relaxed.  
Here is a link to a site that sells them online:
The cables:
http://www.craftsetc.com/Store/ShowProduct.aspx?p=763813
The needles
http://www.craftsetc.com/Store/ShowProduct.aspx?p=763706
The main knitting needle page:
http://www.craftsetc.com/Store/ShowCategory.aspx?d=20&c=28&s=10

They also sell them at Hobby Lobby
hope that helps!
--cassie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Midtowner

Where did I put that needle/bead/yarn...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2004 06:23:59 PM »

That's the set I have too, and I like them pretty well.  The only challenge has been amassing all the pieces.  

It was nice to be able to buy only those sizes that I was going to use at first.  I didn't want to lay out more than $50 for a set that I wasn't sure I'd be using in 6 months. As I've become a more consistent knitter, I've tried to complete my set.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
starlings
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2004 06:53:49 PM »

I've already posted a number of enthusiastic rants about Addi Turbos.  At the risk of sounding like a brainless endorser, I love these needles.  They're my #1 choice for projects ranging in gauge from sport to chunky.  They are not my first choice in the following cases:
1. Lace.  For my taste, the points are generally a bit too blunt to use with very fine yarns.  I prefer Inox needles for lace.
2. Really big needles.  I think they've reverted now, but for a while Skacel made the larger Turbos (10mm+) with a stupid hose-like cord.  In any case, I prefer bamboo needles for sizes 7mm and above.  I like clover bamboos.  They're cheap and have absolutely undetectable joins.  I have a pair of Crystal Palace 8mm or something and they have a brass join that squeaks annoyingly. I've seen others complain about this on the knitlist. Love their dpns though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
teryllynn1

WHY am I a Llama?????

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2004 07:17:47 PM »

Thanks so much! I really don't know what I am using now, because I bought them at an estate sale and they are not marked anyplace that I can see.  Whatever they are, they are horrible and so frustrating for a beginner.  I will go look for some of the recommended needles - anything will be a big improvement!
Teryllynn1 Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knittykat
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2004 08:33:08 AM »

If you bought them at an estate sale, they might just be old.  I fought mightily with my granny's old Boye circs, but I like the new ones fine.

I've never used Addis because I'm afraid I'll love them and they are too expensive!   Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
skittermagoo
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2004 06:18:03 AM »

I've never used Addis because I'm afraid I'll love them and they are too expensive!  

LOL, I had the same resistance to Addis . . . and I did end up buying a pair and I do love them!  And since I just bought a set of Denise interchangables, I had some degree of guilt . . .

Anyway, I bought the Addis because they were the only ones in size 10.5 to give me gauge for TWO projects, and so I'm planning only to buy them on a case-by-case basis, if it's the only way I can get gauge.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please check out my new blog site:  www.skittermagoo.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet Little Mary Jane Booties Part 11/19
How to Crochet Different Size Holes For Tree Skirts
How to Crochet Half Rainbow Borders
How to Crochet Leaves Part 1/6
How to Crochet Leaves Part 2/6
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...