A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,122
Currently Running With Scissors:
649 Guests and 39 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Steampunk Vest-Jacket! *Picture Heavy*  (Read 8729 times)
Tags for this thread: steampunk  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

QueenOfThieves
« on: July 03, 2008 10:25:27 AM »

So a couple weeks ago there was a Steampunk meet-up in my area and I was dying to go, but didn't really have anything distinctively Steampunk-y to wear. I had my skirt and shirt and necklace all picked out, but the vest I was going to wear over it clashed too much because it was black and also a bit too short on me. So, I decided to cut it and use the pieces as a pattern to make a far superior one! Below is the complete step-by-step of my process. Enjoy!

Here is the original vest! It's very soft velvet-like material. I've had the vest for a few years after picking it up at Rave, but it's gotten a bit too short on me and I hardly wore it anymore. I'll be keeping the buttons to use on the new vest!

Back of the vest.

Yay pieces! I was glad to see that the bust darts were also the seams. I hate bust darts. :/

Back still looks pretty much the same, but new I've also undone the back darts. These don't look too complicated....

First run of the mock-up. I just laid each piece on the muslin and cut around it, but also left all of the additional space from each rectangle hanging down and to the sides where the bottom corners of each piece ended. I had no idea how much swish I wanted or if I'd even be able to get any out of it, so I left waaay more room than necessary so I could go bit by bit.

Back of the first run. It looked so messy without the darts.

Pinned the original back on so I could mark where I'd need to put the darts. I will definitely have to use this method again, it saved me a lot of guesswork since I already knew the darts on the original vest fit perfectly.

The pins are gone and all of the vest pieces have been sewn together, though I've left the skirt part open for now. So far everything fits!

This is after I've sewn down the skirt panels just as they are. They fold over quite a bit due to the extra material, so lots of cutting ahead.

The extra skirt fabric makes the back look a bit wonky, but nothing a bit of ironing won't take care of in the end.

Ta da! This is how it looks so far on the outfit. The jacket will end up being brown and about knee-length, I just haven't cut it shorter yet. I'll definitely need to remember to cut extra fabric on the front edges so I don't have to pull to get the jacket to close.

My fabrics! Sort've a camel-colored canvas and a burgundy rayon for lining. I didn't end up doing the lining since I just wanted to be done and get to wear it, but now that there's no rush I'll fiddle with it and make it look pretty. Seeing as I was on a Steampunk mission, there was really no way I could get out of there without buying a few yards of the key fabric. ~_~ I had also planned on making a bag out of the leftover canvas (and boy is there leftovers) and then lining it in the keys, but ran out of time.

The muslin pieces all lines up and pretty on the canvas.

Everything pinned together. I made the two front pieces extra wide so that I could make sure there was enough overlap for the buttons and still be comfy.

Back before the darts were put in. At this point, opting to go with the suggestion to keep the jacket long.

Sewing all the pieces together! Getting closer!

A shot of the hemmed armholes. I managed to keep everything really nice and neat as close to the edge as I could. The thread was also a really nice match so you can hardly see it. I didn't bother to finish the edges since canvas holds up pretty well and I planned on lining it anyway.

Neckline also hemmed. By this point I'm doing little jigs every time I finish something. All that's left by now are the buttons and the hem.

My machine makes buttonholes! That was surprisingly easy.... Yea, they aren't even, but it's okay.

The buttons stolen from the original vest. Also fairly snazzy looking!

Here it is! It's kind of hard to see since I forgot to move my stupid arm out of the way. This is the very end of the Steampunk meet-up and we were the last ones to leave (even though it ended at 8, you can see it's almost 9:30).

Hop you all enjoyed it! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mandodeb
Viva Handmade!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008 11:25:42 AM »

OK.  I haven't looked up the definition of Steampunk, but I do know a great outfit when I see one.  Great job on the idea and the assembly.  I love seeing a successful recon.  I bet you get a lot of chances to wear this, and a lot of compliments while doing so!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cyndall
I can resist everything except temptation

I can resist everything except temptation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008 11:27:12 AM »

OH man I wish there was a steampunk meet up in my area!!

Sounds like way to much fun, and the vest is awesome, great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sprocket

Inspiration is everywhere!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008 11:47:55 AM »

Great vest!  How was the meet-up?

-Sprock Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sandy810
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008 01:45:18 PM »

i must say, i really, really admire ur ability to do a mock up. i have like no patience for it.
i mean, a patternish AND a mock up.
wow.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Encaitare
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008 01:09:43 PM »

Heh, I totally have that vest.  It could stand to be taken in though, it's too wide for me...  I love what you used it for!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Leonardo
How to Draw Kou Ichinomiya
How to Draw Kisaragi Ryuji
How to Draw Kinji Tohyama
Tips For Using Type in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...