A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,762
Currently Running With Scissors:
450 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bummer of a Mother's Day- Photos inside  (Read 2168 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MidwestManiac

-Local- Band Widow

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: April 29, 2008 12:47:57 PM »

So my remaining grandmother,mom's mom, passed away March 1st, unexpectedly. So obviously this will be our family's first mother's day without her. My grandmother and I were very close, as was the rest of the family and her. My mom and aunt are hurting so badly, and I don't live at home but wish i could be there to comfort them. And, truth be told, I need comforting. Mother's day was always a big deal in our family. We would get together, eat, exchange gifts...have a good time. So anywho, I bought an "I am loved" bracelet for both my mother and my aunt, as well as making them a compilation cd with these songs:  (if you have more like this, please let me know as this music isn't the kind i listen to...but metal doesn't say "mom, i love you" in our family)

Faith Hill- Can't lose me
The Wilkinsons- 26 cents
Good Charlotte- Thank you, mom
Confederate Railroad- Jesus and mama
Clay Walker- 'Fore she was mama
Lynard Skynard- Simple man
Van Morrison- Mama said there'd be times like this
Boys II Men- Song for mama (this is actually my brother's and mine ringtone for when mom calls either of us)
Josh Groban- You are loved (don't give up)

What other kind of gifts can I make for the grieving mom's in my life?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008 09:26:25 AM by MidwestManiac » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a ton of NEW sewing patterns to swap. What do you have?
MidwestManiac

-Local- Band Widow

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008 07:48:15 AM »

This doesn't answer my question but I thought of something. Each year I would spend a bunch of money (at very least $50 ) on each of the moms in my life, grandma included. I am teaming up with my mom and we are gonna start "Grandma's Gift" annually  (for mother's day, of course) I have decided to that we each take our $50 put it together, and give it to a mom in our area who deserves or needs it. I feel really good about this. What do you all think?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FairyWings
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008 06:23:51 PM »

that is such a wonderful idea !

I was thinking.. if you have the time and  items..   you could make  your mom and aunt scrapbooks  that revolve around your grandma. soemthing to help them remember all the good times they had with her .
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MidwestManiac

-Local- Band Widow

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008 06:50:19 PM »

I was thinking about a scrapbook of sorts, but then quickly realized that I do not have many photos (3, actually) here with me. I believe my mother and aunt to have the rest and they are 1.5hours away.

I'm so excited I had to share this tho: A local radio station (that I do not listen to, but mom does) was holding a mother's day "contest" sorta thing where you send in a letter to them for your mom..like a dear mom letter. If your letter is chosen they play it on air and win a gift package with stuff. Well, I did just that, wrote in a letter. I got a call today from the morning guy and he told me that my letter was one of the letters selected! He wants me to come down to the studio (where ever the hell it is) and read it so they can record it and play it next friday with the rest of the messages. Unfortunately i do not know if i will be able to do so.

I called my mom and told her that she has to listen and blah blah blah, she cried and she doesn't even know what the letter says yet.

If any of you are interested, and like easy listening *radio personality Delilah is on this station* (i dunno if this is the correct phrase) you can listen Next friday online streaming, May 9th. at http://www.lite1041.com and click on *listen live* on top under delilah's picture.

Again, thanks for the suggestion FairyWings! I really appreciate you taking the time to reply.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FairyWings
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008 11:10:47 PM »

wow that's cool
 lol sounds like my mom, i'm sure she'd cry too even w/o  knowing what the letter says.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MidwestManiac

-Local- Band Widow

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008 07:46:06 AM »

I didn't feel like starting a new thread in here or one in Paper Goods.
I made a journal jar (ok, box) to go with the journal I bought for mom to answer questions from the box and then give to me on x-mas as my present. Did I confuse? Sorry if I did. My academic advisor called and woke me up 30min ago. Huh So, I guess this is part of her mom's day gift.

Just a medium chipboard box with scalloped edges on the lid (pain in the ass )
I covered it with scrapbook paper I bought at the Dollar Tree a long time ago. Used 1 sheet.

Top-

Side-

Lid off to show the chipboard-

Special surprise for mom when she opens it-

(I've had this fur fabric for a really long time...3 yards of this color and 3 yards each of two other multicolors)

Photo with journal-

I still have to go get 8.5x11 label paper to print out the prompts, cut them out, and put them in the box.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008 09:28:58 AM by MidwestManiac » THIS ROCKS   Logged

MidwestManiac

-Local- Band Widow

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008 09:26:11 AM »

Here are the journal prompts that I printed on 8.5x11 Avery Brand label paper and cut out to put in the box.

http://donnaneagle.com/momsjournaljar.doc

In case anyone is interested.

Feel free to use them as they are a small compilation of prompts I found online.

I can't wait to get this journal back as my Christmas gift.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Big Mac Sushi Roll
Shake It Up - Miso Dressing Recipe
Kitchen Kids: Making a Bento Lunch Box
How to Make Dan Dan Noodles
Chicken Tikka Masala with Lasagna Fusion Dish
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...