A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 298,768
Currently Running With Scissors:
580 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 20 small inexpensive gifts  (Read 2540 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

KTO
« on: August 31, 2005 11:42:01 AM »

In a few weeks I'm going to be helping out with a college orientation for a bunch of incoming new students.  Each of the leaders will have a group of about 20 students to meet with, and at the end of the week we are supposed to give them little gifts.  Basically I need to spend about a dollar (or less) on each gift, but I want them to be a little bit unique and fun, so I thought making something would be neat.  Any ideas? 

IKEA has placemats for 50 cents, I was thinking of doing something with those (like picture frames or something), but I'd love some input.  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
waterpolocathy
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2005 11:46:54 AM »

how much work do you want to put in?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KTO
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2005 11:48:52 AM »

something simple would be great, but i'm willing to spend a good amount of time if it'll save me some money.   Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pibbgirl
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2005 11:52:08 AM »

keychains maybe?  I know you get a ton of them for free when you are at college, but a really unique one might be nice and actually get used. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

waterpolocathy
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2005 11:55:02 AM »

ok: just a couple ideas, don't know if you'll like any of them, HOWEVER Tongue:
- magnets of things relevent to your particular college (aka: the logo, colours, etc). You can get "magnet paper" for pretty cheap, and then just print out whatever you want to go on top.
- photo frame is a good idea, you could even paint a cheap wooden one, plus stencils if you're feeling adventurous.
- you could even try (depending on how big your college is) to get something from the bookstore, they might give you a discount if it's for new students.
- something for actual use in classes (aka pencils, pens, notebooks, pencil cases)
- keychains?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aliasgracie
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2005 12:09:08 PM »

You can usually pick up records for 50 cents each at thrift stores, I made record bowls for some of my college friends.  It's great as a catch all bowl for keys. sunglasses etc...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Common sense is the collection of prejudices
- Albert Einstein

50 things 6/50
spoonerism
gabriella.

gabriella

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2005 12:10:21 PM »

how about those little dome magnets? you cut out the picture, glue to the magnet glue the dome down.
cheap cool and inexpensive!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Goddess Abby

I caught you a delicious bass.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2005 11:24:40 PM »

Window picture holder- Get some small suction cups, string and mini clothes pins. (mini clothes pins at the dollar spot right now at target) Tie the string between two suction cups and attach the clothes pins.  I made these as "going back to college" gifts for my friends.  Dorm rooms everywhere share the dislike of nails, so this is a nice way to display pics, notes, etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Save Arrested Development and sign this petition.
Even if you don't like the show, sign up because it will make me a happier person to be able to get my "fix" once a week from AD.
http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/arresteddev
Ylva
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2005 07:53:22 AM »

I have a bunch of friends in Spain, and since I live in Sweden, gifts have to be small, so i can send them i a letter. Since there is about 6 friends, they can't be too expansive either. One x-mas, i made tiny worrydolls. The idea is from the maya indians. They bleived that ifyou ever have a problem, you tell the doll and put it under you pillow at night. By the morning the problem will be gone. The dolls are really tiny, I made mine from wire with cloth and yarn glued to it. It might be a bit strage to give something like this to people you don't know that well, but at least it is cheap and easy and my friends relly liked them (One still carries her round in her wallet!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just because I, at the moment of creation, cant see the message in my works, does not necessarily mean there is no message. - Salvador Dal
janee
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2005 06:31:57 AM »

You can usually pick up records for 50 cents each at thrift stores, I made record bowls for some of my college friends.  It's great as a catch all bowl for keys. sunglasses etc...
That sounds cool, how did you do that?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Creating a Reflection with Photoshop
How to Import an Illustrator File in After Effects
How to use Photoshop Actions
How to Burn and Dodge in Photoshop
Digital Media Quick Tips #2-Final Cut ...
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...