A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,043
Currently Running With Scissors:
698 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Purple and silver clock *NOW WITH TUTE*  (Read 1830 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

eternallyeve
Tutorial Contributor

Live - Love - Create

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: August 30, 2005 10:05:40 PM »

I made this clock from scratch, or at least I swiped the innards of an old clock and made myself a new face  Wink

It's MDF painted with acrylics and the workings are from a cheap old plastic wall clock, I strongly urge all budding clockworkers to harvest the organs from old clocks and remake them to your liking!

Front (please excuse the cropping):

Back, pretty plain but hey, noone sees it:

Closeup of the details:

If anyone is interested I can give a tute

***TUTE...

1. grab some paper and a pencil and choose your shape, I literally put pencil to paper and just started scribbling. think of the style and size you want. I wanted something oversized and unusual, thus the curvy spikes.

2. for mine, I used MDF (medium density fibreboard) but try pine sheeting, masonite or any other scrap timber. my mdf was 6mm thick.

pencil a mark which will be the centre of your clock, this is where the hands will turn from. for a strange shape like this i marked a circle around my centre point,

(**if you do not have a large compass, tap a nail lightly into the centre mark, tie a piece of non-stretchy string around the nail and wrap around a pencil on the other end, hold the string taut and draw your circle.**)

free-hand your shape around this circle.

3. now, grab your old clock and remove the workings, don't be intimidated. you will probably find that the hands are held on the front of the clock by being pressed into the centre spike. I just needed to pull mine off (be sure to hold the very centre of the hands, not the hands themselves) with a little persuasion they came off and left me with a centre spike held on with a small nut which i removed with pliers. you will probably find the back just falls off the old clock now, if it's glued on, slide the blade of a craft knife under it until it pops off.

4. cut out your shape with a jigsaw

5. leave the hands to the side and eyeball the centre spike to see what sized drill bit you will need to make the right hole in your new clock face. if in doubt always start smaller! drill your hole and see if the fixture fits through snugly.

you can either glue on the clock back but i made a small niche for it to sit into so i didn't need to glue it, also i can remove this fixture and use it on another face if i want!

to make the niche, insert the workings (if your clock is an odd shape make sure the backing is in the right position. my backing had the battery on the bottom so i inserted the spike through the hole and turned the back until it sat in the right position) and draw around the square back of the mechanism. remove the mechanism. chisel out your niche, make it just deep enough for the backing to fit into and not move around.

6. the fun part... paint or decorate your clock face. be creative, paint a pattern, decoupage, glue on fabric, anything.

#6a. for the swirl effect i painted, i did this next part first. i marked out the hours and then using a ruler, drew a straight line between 12 and 1, 1 and 2 etc. i measured the middle on the straight line between the numbers and marked this.

next i grabbed a large dinner plate and lined it up so the centre hole and the mark between the numbers was connected, then traced the line, i continued this all the way around.

i pained the alternating purple and silver in light coats, re-marking the hours between coats so i wouldn't lose the position.#

with the decoration dry reassemble your fixtures and add the hands. hold the back of the clock and manually turn the hands until the clock reads 12 o'clock. mark this position with a pen or marker on the clock face. continue to turn the hands to read every hour and mark the positions. remove the clock workings again.

now you add your numbers, or spots, or stickers or whatever you like so you know what the time is. dont forget to spray or paint a few coats of varnish to protect the face.

7. with the face dry, reassemble the clock. add a hook or eye to the back for hanging, you may need to glue a scrap piece of wood where the hook will go, and then screw the hook into it if the clock backing sticks out too far.

8. stick in a battery and hand it up!

i hope this makes sense to someone, just post any questions and I'll answer them if i'm not clear enough.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010 11:05:16 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come visit me Smiley
Website - Gallery - Blog - Tutorials - Store

Our collaborative craft blog!
Hand Made-n's
Daphne Descends

Blank page was all the rage.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2005 10:12:26 PM »

I adore it!

Yes, tute, please!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

At my lemonade stand I used to give the first glass away free and charge five dollars for the second glass... the refill contained the antidote.
bunnygirl82
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2005 08:11:00 AM »

Please do a tutorial!  That is so pretty!  Great job! Grin Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
poto_fan

No day But today

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2005 08:12:24 AM »

that is sooooooooooooo awesome!!!!! tutorial would be very nice!! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The heart may freeze or it can burn
The pain will ease if I can learn
There is no future
There is no past
I live this moment as my last
There's only us
There's only this
Forget regret
Or life is yours to miss
No other road
No other way
No day but today
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Create Realistic 3D Models with Google SketchUp
How to Remove Facial Blemishes in Photoshop - Photo Editing Tips
How to Get Transitions to an IDVD Slideshow
How to Make a Collage in Photoshop
How to Whiten Teeth in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...