A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,102
Currently Running With Scissors:
583 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Op shop stool to furry cool *NOW WITH TUTE*  (Read 2186 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

eternallyeve
Tutorial Contributor

Live - Love - Create

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: August 30, 2005 09:54:56 PM »

Here is a project I did a while ago. I have an unhealthy obsession with renovating chairs, especially for someone who usually sits on the floor... Huh

Sorry there are no before pics but it was just a crappy green vinyl seat.

All furry and lovely:

The underside:

If anyone is interested I would be happy to post a tute.

(now fingers crossed, this is my first post with pics)

*** ok, so here goes the tute...

1. unscrew the frame of the seat (depending on the seat, you will have to see where the fastenings are, on this chair they were obvious but some furniture has hidden screws)

2. take pleasure in ripping off the old covering from the seat cushion. be careful to remove any staples, nails or pins without damaging the base.

you should be left with the old fabric cover, a wooden base and a piece of foam or some other padding that may be glued to the base.

discard the old fabric unless you have a particular like for it.

3. lay out your new furry fabric, furry side down on a table. place on top of that the foam padding and then the wooden base for the chair, this makes a nice upholstery club sandwich. you want to cut the fabric in the same shape as the wooden base, in my case round, but make the piece large enough to reach over the padding and and overlap the base by about an inch.

4. with your trimmed fabric still sandwiched under the padding and base, grab a piece and staple with a staple gun to the base. be sure to staple on the flat of the wood, not the edge... thats a whole other tutorial. with your first staple secure (you may need to tap it in with a hammer if it's not all the way in but I usually leave this until last, then I tap in all the staples at the same time) turn the seat in front of you until the first staple is facing 6 o'clock. grab another piece of fabric at 12 o'clock and pull it tight over the base before securing. you may find it easier to have someone push down a little on the sandwich so you can concentrate on stapling. the fabric needs to be taut and it will squish the padding at the sides to make a rounded seat.

5. turn the seat again so the first two staples are facing 3 o'clock and 10 o'clock and continue to pull the fabric taut and staple. remember to staple on opposite sides (yeah i know circles only have one side but u know what i mean), this keeps the fabric smooth and the tension even. keep stapling until there's only a 1\4 inch between staples. whenever the fabric folds between staples, mush the fold flat and staple on top.

6. trim the fabric to about a 1\4 inch from the staple line.

7. you can finish here and re-attach your new seat to the frame or you can line to underside, it honestly doesn't matter unless you will have people peeking at your chair's undersides.

to line the seat, place your lining fabric on a flat surface and place the seat base-down on top. mark the fabric around the seat about a 1\4 inch from the edge. cut out your lining fabric and iron the raw edges over until it fits over the base and covers the staples.

now you can either staple the lining to the base or hammer in upholstery tacks, i used tacks.

8. to re-attach the frame, push a pencil or nail through the lining into the screw holes to make a SMALL hole, this will prevent the fabric twisting when you screw through it

So thats it, don't forget, if the frame is crappy, re-invent that too. for metal or wood frames, sand the frame down to make the surface rough and spray or paint it... try chrome paint for a retro feel, fluro, matt black for a little sophistication or even glow in the dark! or what about decopage? or stickers? wind some funky coloured wire around the legs, or if the frame is suitable, give your friends permanant markers and have them grafitti it. just don't forget to spray or paint a few coats of varnish over flat finishishes to protect them.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010 11:06:32 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come visit me Smiley
Website - Gallery - Blog - Tutorials - Store

Our collaborative craft blog!
Hand Made-n's
starblossom
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2005 09:58:01 PM »

That is adorable! I love furry stuff... I would love a tute...I have no clue how to upholster chairs or whatever it's called...we have an old stool sitting in my dad's workshop that I've been wanting to put fabric on but I don't know how. Ohhh there are old chairs at the salvation army that I want to buy and then re-upholster, they would look so cool with fuzzy fabric...this is only my second post on this message board so I'm just a tad excited by everything here, lol don't mind me Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's not in what you say, it's in what you do. (Oasis)
http://neatstuffs.wordpress.com
Obsessed
I sell buttons!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2005 10:12:39 PM »

OH MY GOD! You just gave me the greatest idea. My grandfather made these square stools like 40 years ago. They were mirrored on the sides and cushioned on top. When I was little, I remember whenever we changed the decor in the living room (hey, it was the late 80's/early 90's--we changed it often) my mom would reupholster the stools.  Basically she'd just rip off the old fabric and put a new one.  She passed away like 10 years ago, and I have the stools in the basement with an ugly pattern from 1994.

I always keep the stools in mind for when I move out. I was trying to think of ways to reupholster them without making them look blah. But the big fluffy fabric might be perfect so it softens (literally Cheesy) the mirrored sides.  I cant wait to do this when I move out (There's no room for them in my room right now)
I'm SOOOOO going to reupholster them when I move out! I'm SOOOOO going to use a fluffy fabric and make it amazingly cute!!! I cant wait! Thanks for posting this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Juice Box City
How to Create a Hand Puppet With Socks
How to Make Shadow Puppets With Your Hand
How to Create a Giraffe Sock Puppet
How to Create a Puppet Theater
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...