A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 299,124
Currently Running With Scissors:
588 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Wedding Cake  (Read 4251 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sparky
« on: April 20, 2004 02:19:23 PM »

To make a long story short, I was volunteered to make the cake for a friend's wedding in January.  

I've been taking a cake decorating class and practicing, but most of the things I'm learning are fairly cheesy (clowns, nasty super sweet frosting with Crisco, etc) and I'm worried about finding better recipes and themes.  I'll be taking more advanced classes which cover cooler topics, but I'm still a bit concerned about finding good ideas and inspiration.

Does anyone have any good ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amareluna
Head Nerd at Nyxia's Lair

~It is we who make our destiny, not the stars~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2004 02:25:56 PM »

My moms best friend (and her doctor..lol) is a closet crafter *grin* She makes these UNREAL cakes...

I'm headed up to visit mom this weekend, and I'll ask if she has any info to share.

Here's a pic of one of her cakes:

THIS ROCKS   Logged
AmphipodGirl

More projects planned than executed.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2004 03:14:14 PM »

I get the impression it's fairly easy to make rolled fondant look classy, and it doesn't taste too bad either: http://www.wilton.com/recipes/recipesandprojects/wedding/gki_wedding4.cfm

http://www.wilton.com/recipes/recipesandprojects/wedding/loveaboveall.cfm#

Good luck!

-- Chris
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PM me for a FREE vintage embroidery transfer of mushrooms (more info in profile).
larew
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2004 12:54:35 PM »

I was at Michael's craft store today and they had molds for individual small wedding cakes. If the party is small enough I think getting your own individual cupcake sized wedding cake would be great.  As for decorating them just some white icing and small cake decorations, like those silver beads would be good.

Also I saw a show on the diy station about wedding cake decorating, try diynet.com

Good Luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BeppyCat
I've never licked a spark plug.

www.beppycat.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2004 01:18:31 PM »

I made my own wedding cake when I got married a couple of years ago.  I didn't have any lessons, but I did use the wilton class books as a guide.  It was easier than you'd think it would be, and lots of fun.  I'd say, do lots of practicing and don't let anyone discourage you from trying lots of new things.  (I throw that in because no one believed I could do my own wedding cake and thought I'd regret it.)  Here's a pic:

I'd be glad to write down the instructions for what I did if you'd like.   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

And I don't look good in leggings.

http://beppycat.blogspot.com/
Lurkers and commentors welcome.
Lots of crocheting and sewing and knitting!  Pretty much my life for your consumption.
melmelon

I'm a weird llama!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2004 07:48:26 AM »

I made my wedding cake too....sorry no pics though....am quite technically incompetent, if I do say so myself.  I made genoise sponge in sheet pans, then cut it and lined springform pans with it, made chocolate mousse for the filling, another layer of genoise, let it set, flipped it out, decoarted it with italian meringue buttercream and covered the whole enchilada with huge chocolate curls.
The last wedding cake I made was inspired by Baking With Julia, it was a 3 tiered, chocolate, raspberry moussy thing, covered in a chocolate "ribbon" and garnished with spiky chocolate curls.
Do you know what kind of cake you will be making? I always find that its better to keep the cake looking as simple as possible, unless of course you like things with alot going on...a nice simple garnish is to sugar edible flowers....very pretty, elegant and EASY.  Martha Stewart has lots of good recipes for cakes and icings.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stevenjames
what are you gonna make today?

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2004 06:44:36 PM »

I have three words for you - fondant, marizpan and Joy of Cooking...okay that's more than three words...but Joy of Cooking has a great recipe and a set of directions for creating a wedding cake.  You can flavor and color marizipan so it's not so almondy and fondant is great for a clean loook...I'm also a big fan of the tiered cake...but making each level a different flavah!  
THIS ROCKS   Logged

learn how to torch enamel: http://macaroniandglitter.com/classes

follow me on facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/stevenjames
Goddess
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2004 08:51:09 PM »

amareluna, that cake is freakin' fantastic! I think I want to make my own cake as well, just because most of the commercial ones I see are either way cheesy or gorgeous but 1000 bucks. fondant looks like a great way to make a lovely cake
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BluegrassBeagles
Swamp Witch

Rrruff! Rruff! <Bark!> Rruff!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2004 07:03:54 AM »

Hey, I'm not alone! I, too, made my own wedding cakes. I really, REALLY wanted angel food cake with whipped cream on antique cake stands. Oddly enough, I could only find one baker willing to make angel food cake, and she INSISTED I use buttercream frosting, or I'd regret it. Um, part of what I like about angel food cake is that it's light and subtley sweet. Buttercream frosting is HEAVY. So I endeavored to make 16-1/2 angel food cakes the week of my wedding, storing them in the church freezer. I ended up not using whipped cream because I didn't have anyone who could frost them last minute for me and whipped cream won't hold at room temperature. I did make three sauces to put on the cakes, at the guests discretion: creme anglaise, chocolate custard sauce, and raspberry sauce. The cakes themselves were just decorated with pansies (which are edible, so food safe).

My friend who got married a year later ordered a plain, tiered cake. She did have the bakery do a basket weave with the frosting, but I don't think that was necessary. Then she ordered gerbera daisies and I cut the stems off and placed them and raffia around the cake. I also placed ribbon around each tier. That was easy, but you have to do it with a steady hand. It was very pretty and very simple. The groom's cake is at the opposite end and we made that from a mix that day, frosted it with purchased frosting, and embellished with magnolia leaves and strawberries.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've discovered the wonderful world of blogs:
http://swampwitch.wordpress.com/

REduce
REuse
REcycle
REJOICE!
norsgoebel

the cutest of the 7 deadly sins

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2004 02:42:30 PM »

I design and decorate cakes for a living and my advice would be to keep taking Wilton classes, they are great for basics.  For your ingredients use real butter, fresh eggs and real vanilla.  Most american type icings are very sweet to cover the taste of inferior ingredients (lotsa shortening)  At the shop I work at we use a basic buttercream recipe that is 60% butter and 40% crisco (only crisco not anything else) we also use real vanilla.  We use enough to cover  but not suffocate our cakes.  If you are going to make a fondant covered cake you still need to ice the cake before you drape the fondant over it.  Fondant can be tricky if you are doing a large tiered cake, the larger the tier the harder to cover.  Rolling the fondant fairly thin will also keep the sweetness factor down.
One other really important thing to learn is how to build a tiered cake for support and transport. Wilton's method is ok but there is always other ways of doing things too.  Good luck
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Take a peek!
http://www.polytypicarts.etsy.com

2 sips from the cup of human kindness and I'm sh*tfaced...N.P.
Tracey
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2004 09:31:36 AM »

Putting Candied Roses on Adds a nice touch
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love your ememies..... It will drive them nuts!
gji7
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2004 11:19:38 AM »

There is absolutely the most wonderful cake, directions, decorations and timing tips (like when to bake, how to crumb coat, how to keep, etc.) in this book:   

The Best of Gourmet : Featuring the Flavors of Thailand

You can find it on Amazon if nowhere else - the cake is a white poundcake with a lemon/sugar drizzle on each layer with alternating frosting and fresh berry layer dividers, and then a really rich (but not gross) white frosting.  The decorating they show is super simple, but awesome, that a kid could probably do - then topped with fresh flowers scattered over the cake.

I have made it and it is really simple to make - no real tricks in this one.  But mostly - it is just incredibly good! 
« Last Edit: June 04, 2004 11:25:08 AM by gji7 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

You can't do anything about the length of your life, but you can do something about its width and depth. - Evan Esar

Prove to yourself that you can do it. Prove that you were always who you thought you were, not who they said you had to be. - Rachel Snyder
hillarybillary
your a pansy I'm a cowboy....

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2004 04:43:43 PM »

I didnt make my cake but I did make the top its marzipan.I bought the kit from martha stewart I did design the cake though and had someone I had just met make it.  Cheesy

*h
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ragadyanne400

Am I a llama?!?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2004 06:23:03 PM »

Have you seen the martha stewart candy cakes?

http://www.marthastewart.com/page.jhtml?type=content&id=tvs8368
THIS ROCKS   Logged

holly holy

never hide your jersey pride

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2004 05:21:42 AM »

kind of an interesting off-beat idea:  my girlfriend was planning her technically second wedding (the first was done in court, she wanted a "real" one the second time around).  being extremely poor, a bunch of us decided to help her out.  when i was going through some of the magazines, i saw a cake made of cupcakes!  they were not cheesy, kindergarten-esque cupcakes, they were basically small cakes with some amazing marzipan/piping designs on top.  i fell in love with it.  a tad bit quirky, and possible easier? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NessaGurl
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2004 06:03:39 AM »

I had cupcakes for my wedding in september...each cupcake was decorated like a flower...and they were displayed on a really nice three tier platter...it was awesome, and everyone loved it!!! We got so many compliments, and some friends of our are going to do it for their wedding next year.  The nice thing about cupcakes is that you can have several flavors, and they are very inexpensive to make...I would highly recommend cupcakes to anyone, especially after all the compliments we got. And it didn't look like it would have been too hard to make, if you have taken decorating classes, then it sould be a peice of cake...har har har

good luck
Nessy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy Shop...
http://thislittlebird.etsy.com 

My Wist
http://www.wists.com/ThisLittleBird

I would love to do a personal swap for Quality, well made felt or crochet play foods for my daughter... contact me if you are interested. Check out my shop to see what I could make for you
PinkMafia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Let your sparkle shine...

Recovering swap addict

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2004 01:56:48 PM »

I make cakes for a hobby and a side job and I have a few recommendations to make a beautiful cake that is easy.
1. Use a simple recipe, you don't have to make a fancy cake for it to be delicious and beautiful. A delicious cake recipe (I have tons if you need ideas + lots of tropical flavored cakes)
2. Balance your flavors. If the frosting is sweet don't make the cake and filling super sweet or it will be hard to eat more than a few bites.

Decoration tips:
I like to use large flaked coconut on the outside for a textured look, toasting it is pretty too. I LOVE fresh flowers, make sure they are not poisonous. On tiered cakes I like to stick straws in the top layer and stick flower stems in the straws to create a bouquet look. I did that with my wedding cake with Birds of paradise, it was sooo pretty.
I live in Hawaii and lots of people want tropical style cakes so I do things like put ferns around the edges and use fresh floweres...shells...

I love cupcake wedding cakes but they take sooooooooooooooooo long to make and frost.

What kind of wedding is it? Does the couple have any special interests or is there anything they asked for? Are they traditional??? Post more info about them and their wedding and I'll try and think of cool ideas.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafty chica...burlesque performer....costume maven.
emoprincess08
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2004 07:50:21 PM »

Ok, so I remember seeing on Martha Stewart one time, she was making roses to go on cakes. it looked FANTASTIC! I recently went to Michaels and found a kit on making all sorts of flowers out of this pasty stuff(forgot what it was called. something gum)anyways! i bought it and it seems pretty easy, I have yet to try it tho. You could probably go to any crafting store and look under the cooking aisle.

**Melody**
THIS ROCKS   Logged
msinformation
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2004 03:44:53 PM »

For my wedding, my friend made a truly amazing cake.  It was a White Chocolate and Lemon cake, from Bon Appetit recipe.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/108257

If you like lemon, this is an incredible cake.  I can honestly admit it was the best cake, not just wedding cake but best CAKE, I have ever had in my life.  In fact, it's been over a year since the wedding and my family is till talking about how great the cake was!

I admit I don't really know how complicated it was to make.  My friend used to work in a bakery, so she may have some special skills that helped her.  She didn't decorate it like the picture online, just used fresh flowers which were really beautiful, but obviously you could decorate however you wanted.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Rhubie
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2005 02:08:14 PM »

Dear Sparky,

I realize you've already made the wedding cake but I thought I'd throw in some good advice for anyone else attempting their first wedding cake.  I used to work as a baker and made wedding cakes almost every day.

"The Cake Bible" by Rose Levi Beranbaum  -- This woman is the Fairy Godmother of Cake Baking

The book is about $35 bucks and worth every penny.  I've never made anything out of this book that wasn't FABULOUS!!!  Great recipes and instructions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thommoose
Moose

mind if I borrow your light green Sharpie?

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2005 11:31:07 AM »

Oh gosh, yeah--- that's simply the BEST cake book around...  Totally forgot about it... (*ponders the bookshelf, remembering the WeightWatchers meetings...  grunts*)  Also, look in the library for Jacques Torres' book- I think it's Dessert Circus--- he's got a few variations on buttercream that are all fantastic and pretty simple--- each makes a rather "sturdy" buttercream that holds up well. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"...those that matter do not judge and those that judge do not matter..."  -unknown

"Can I do this? Or do I look like some sort of gay superhero?" - Sterling
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw a Floor Plan
Eric Daman Style Tips
How to Draw a Portrait
The Japanese Art Form of Lacquer
The Tattooing Process
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...