A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 301,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
558 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: HELP!! Glass Etching to Faint  (Read 1757 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SheezCraftee

I will change my mind on something petty as a whim

View Profile
« on: April 20, 2004 12:58:56 PM »

Hey,

I found some martini glasses at a yard sale and promptly when and got some Armour Etch... lol   I just got my stencils the way I want and I followed the intructions exactly on the bottle of etching cream, but when I did it...   The etched part is so faint you have to get in close proximity (sp?) to the glass to see the etch.  Is it supposed to be like that?  I even tried leaving it on the other glass a little longer then the instructions said, but it ended up the same.  Am I doing something wrong or is that as good as it's gonna get?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011 08:05:08 AM by HSG - Reason: More descriptive title. » THIS ROCKS   Logged
hilatron

Robots craft too!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2004 01:27:39 PM »

Three things I know to check for: 1) Clean the glasses thoroughly before applying the cream.  Go over them after you apply the stencils to remove any finger oil that got on there while you were placing them.  2) Make sure the cream is spread on very thick.  It should be really glopped on there, enough so that it's practically opaque.  3) When in doubt, leave the cream on for five minutes longer - I've never heard of anyone having problems from leaving the stuff on for too long.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafty Robot: Handmade goods for discerning humans
SheezCraftee

I will change my mind on something petty as a whim

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2004 01:32:20 PM »

I must've gotten more finger oil on them or something...   I had tried the alotted amount of time, and that didn't work, cso I tried leaving it a little longer and that didn't seem to make a difference.  I'm gonna try again, and make sure that I don't leave any oil on it or anything this time.   Thanks!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
atomiqt
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2004 02:09:56 PM »

I have never done etching before but a few points that have been menchined quite a few times in different places are pretty much what hilatron said.  The only thing I have to say is to put on a hole lot of the cream.  It sounds like everyone said a whole lot too.  "really glopped on there"
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dani24

I am so smart! S-M-R-T....oops! I mean S-M-A-R-T

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2004 10:06:27 AM »

The directions on the bottle honestly aren't that effective.  I have found that in order to get a good etch, I need to leave the cream on for at least 40 minutes, up to 60.  And make sure that you brush it on right to left and then up and down so that you get it all over the area to be etched.

Try another project, leaving the stuff on for a longer period of time.  Maybe get a test glass and leave some on at different time intervals so you can see how pronounced the effects are at different lengths of time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Taking the Long View: How Not to Ruin the Eames House
A Better Toilet? Biomimicry Design Saves Water & Energy
If It Ships It Fits: Prefab Everything With Method Homes
Smaller Is Better: Why Micro-Apartments Are The New Norm
Ergonomic Eatery: What Your Kitchen Says About You
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Removable Fabric Wallpaper
Tute Tuesday: Candy, Anyone?
Crafty Kitchen

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...