A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 296,681
Currently Running With Scissors:
486 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: **100% natural lip balm** Safe to eat, if you are really that hungry!!!  (Read 15222 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

v@lentine
« on: August 30, 2005 10:33:30 AM »

Allright. After reading some of the lip balm recipes on here, I decided it may be beneficial to post one that doesn't contain petroleum jelly and all that other scary stuff. I hope you gals / guys enjoy!

You will need the following:
 1 1/2 oz (ounces)  beeswax
 2 1/2 oz shea butter or cocoa butter (or any combination of the two)
 2 oz coconut oil or sweet almond oil or grapeseed oil (or any combination)
 1-2 tsp. of essential oil - not essence oil (I like using lemongrass, grapefruit, and tangerine)
optional 1 vitamin E capsule (natural preservative)
*note* lemongrass is significantly stronger than tangerine and grapefruit, so if you choose these oils be sure to add a bit less of the lemongrass

You can purchase all or many of these ingredients at any health food store. This lip balm is best suited for one of the containers that twists up and down... This recipe makes about 15 of them. Surprisingly, a little goes a lonnnggggg way. You can probably find these in a health food store as well, or buy them in bulk on-line.

The steps are super easy:
Melt the beeswax in a pot on the stove at a low heat setting. Do not add anything else until the beeswax is fully melted. Everything else melts quickly, so you don't want the wax to be lagging behind. Once the wax is at a liquid state, add the shea butter and/or cocoa butter. let melt. You can stir with a spoon if you like to speed up the process. Keep the temp. at a low setting. Try to keep the ingredients in the centre. If you lean the pot from side to side, the liquid will harden and stick to the sides of the pot. Now you can add your grapeseed, sweet almond, and/or coconut oil. Coconut oil is solid at room temp. If you decided to use this in your recipe, you can boil a pot of water, stick the coconut oil in (in a sealed container) and wait for it to liquefy. It is much easier to measure this way. Or you can choose not to use it and save the hassle. Once all the ingredients are mixed together turn the heat off. Add the essential oil now. Stir. If you used a plastic measuring spoon to measure the essential oil, clean asap. It is so concentrated that it can melt through it. Ahhhh. Transfer everything to a glass measuring cup, or whatever. As long as it is microwave safe. The ingredients might harden as you pour, that it is allright. Get all of your lip balm containers ready, lids off. You can choose how you want to get the stuff in there. I use a tiny funnel. You can use a syringe if you want. A clean one of course. You will be surprised how fast it pours, this is the tricky part. If everything solidified, put in the microwave until it melts again. Pour into the containers. They'll probably overflow, so put on wax paper or a surface you don't care for. Let cool and harden. Enjoy!

Lip balm is pretty hard to screw up. The proportions can be tweaked a bit. In the summer, you may want to add a bit more beeswax, so it isn't too soft. The winter time might call for more butter and oil. You decide. When making, if you want to check out how hard / soft the finished product will be just put a metal spoon (one that was in the freezer for about a half hour) in the pot while everything is still hot. It will harden quick. This will be the consistency. Add more oil if too hard. Add more beeswax if too soft. Have fun.

Sorry for this long post. It's my first.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
christinaent
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2005 09:37:28 PM »

wow, thanks for the great tutorial! i'm going to have to try this, i'm a lip balm addict.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ElleMD628
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2005 03:07:31 PM »

Wow! I just bought a homemade lip balm from a craft show and I LOVE IT! Then I found your post and you have exactly the same ingredients as mine has listed! I can't wait to try this - Thanks for the post!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bracelet_girl
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2005 02:48:55 AM »

Thank you for the tutorial for this!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My DeviantArt page
My Livejournal

I do personal swaps, themed or random. Smiley pm me if you are interested!
PinkBalletShoes
...Oh, she's a crafty one, she is...

.:Drama Queen.. in the most literal sense:.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2005 04:27:59 PM »

Thanks for the tute- I am always looking for new lip gloss recipes!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Millions of peaches, peaches for me. Millions of peaches, peaches for free- Look out!-
v@lentine
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2005 11:16:37 PM »

Thanks!!!! I love mine so much, I decided not to be selfish by keeping it all to myself. I had to share.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
butterflymary
The Dominatrix of Craft

I Bitch, Therefore I Stitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2005 04:10:04 AM »

I made this last night. It was so friggin easy, omg!  I had been thinking about it and mentioned it to my friend yesterday when I dropped off my daughter (to christmas shop) and she got all excited and pulls of her cabinet a 10 pound chunk of natural beeswax. She also had the grapeseed oil and some essential oils. We used a little tea tree and lavender. I bought the cocoa butter and the tins and vitamin e. The tins I'm not too happy with so next time we'll look into catalogs. Theses tins are good for home not purse and are thin metal with a metal and see thru plastic top made by Wilto the cake maker comany and sold in a tub thing. It says to use them as party favors (filled) and also gives label sheets to print.

Where did you get the twist up tubes for your lip balm? I'd like to make those next time. Thanks for the awesome recipie.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Now get craftin'!
v@lentine
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2005 06:10:47 PM »

I purchased the twist tubes at a health-food store. They also had all of the ingredients I needed as well. I'm glad to see this worked for you Smiley
« Last Edit: May 19, 2006 01:13:01 PM by v@lentine » THIS ROCKS   Logged
juliel85
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2006 11:20:33 PM »

I like that your recipe doesn't contain petroleum jelly, I've never cared for the stuff.  I also hadn't thought of adding vitamin E.  I have one question: does it go bad?  My rule of thumb for most lip products is 2 months at the most, what is your experience with the homemade stuff?  I will be trying this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
butterflymary
The Dominatrix of Craft

I Bitch, Therefore I Stitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2006 04:06:11 PM »

The vitamin E is the preservative, I f I am not mistaken. In a lot of other natural recipies they call for it as such.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Now get craftin'!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Stephen King Talks About Duma Key
Meet Author Patty Brisben
Sheila Weller Reveals What Readers Think About Her
Tyler Colman Reveals His Favorite Movie
Once Upon a Day Book Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...