A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,381
Currently Running With Scissors:
673 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How profitable is your website?  (Read 923 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Rivanya
« on: April 20, 2004 07:14:20 AM »

Pardon me if this is an inappropriate question, but, I too am a *Crafty Queen* and would love to start selling my purses, magnets, scarves, homemade fortune cookies, handmade cards, etc.... and I was really wondering, since I haven't started up a website yet, how profitable is it?  Is it worth me taking the *time/effort/energy/resources* to set up a website?  Do you find that it's profitable enough to make it worth it?  I know it's all about the love of what we do, but, in a practical sense, we need to think - is it worth it?  Can someone give me an idea of how competitive the market is and how you feel about this?

Thank you so much, I'm starting to get serious about what I do, and would love to get my world rolling.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sewing stars
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2004 12:39:18 PM »

I don't sell a ton off of my website directly, however, I like having it because it a place anyone can take a look at what I do. It is so much easier to send a prospective store or client a link to website filled with images than trying to e-mail large jpgs.

For me it is worth the time and effort. I also have a day job, so promoting my site isn't something I have a ton of time to do, but considering my part-time involvement with it, I think it is doing pretty well.

If you are concerned about the cost factor go to this thread and see what people have suggested as far as hosts/website registration.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.sewingstars.com
never forget how to fly...
sarah_1980
tallpoppycraft.com

tallpoppycraft.com :: Tall Poppy Craft Products

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2004 02:36:14 AM »

Well I have only been going for a couple of months so as you can imagine its kinda hard to get up and started.

I am still finding that I get most of my business through eBay.

Like sewing stars mentioned, its good if you need to show a prospective customer your work and in that regard is worth putting a bit of time, effort and $$ into it.

I think that Craftyboy has a particularly "different" product that he is selling and there is obviously a market for it and less competitors than the average handmade clothing/accessories/whatever online shop.

Hope this answers a few questions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sarah
http://www.tallpoppycraft.com
Tall Poppy Craft Products :: Handbag & Purse Making Supplies
fly

Okie Dokie Artichokie!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2004 04:06:39 PM »

You know, I plan on making my money at craft shows, but I figured that since me building a website would be free, why not set one up?  If I get any orders from it, they're orders that I wouldn't have gotten if I hadn't done the site, and existing customers can use it to see what my current inventory is and to order from me without having to meet me at a craft show.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Those who hold on to broken dreams often get cut by their sharp edges.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Creamy Chicken Skillet with Loaded Potatoes
Taco Bell President Withholds Breakfast From Canada
High School Students Invent Popular Spice Mix
Firehouse Chef Makes Guacamole Chipotle Chicken Wraps
How to Make Gruyere Grilled Cheese
Latest Blog Articles
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...