A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 302,718
Currently Running With Scissors:
619 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Birthday Isabeau Purse  (Read 4800 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

FancyShmancy

smoke. drink. craft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2005 06:30:37 PM »

FancySchmancy... if you still want to try making buttons with polymer clay, check out this page at my website on doing just that:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/buttons.htm

Btw, I wouldn't use Sculpey brand polymer clay for any thin buttons you might make... it's much more breakable than the other polymer clays when it's thin or has projecting parts.

If you want to make the style of button below, you won't need a mold (though you could use one if you wanted). 
Just roll some clay into a seamless ball, and flatten it to the outer thickness-height you want ... for the interior depression, press something flat and round (like the end of a dowel) into the center of the disc a little way (its diameter should be less than the diameter of the flattened disc, of course).
To make the holes, it's better to remove clay than push it aside, so you can use something like a coffee stirrer straw ...press into the clay, twist, and remove (the clay will stick in the straw, so just cut a bit off from the straw after each hole). 

If you want to make more than one button in exactly the same size, you can still do the above, but use the same volume of clay for each one. 
One way to do that is to flatten the clay into an eve-thickness sheet, then use a cutter of some kind to cut out multiples... when you make balls from those and turn them into buttons, they should end up the same size. 
Another way would be to roll a log of your clay, then cut off equal lengths of clay to use for each button.

If you want to read about using polymer clay in molds (or even making molds from polymer clay in the first place, then using them with more clay), check out this page too:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/molds.htm

(Also, if you don't already have a button you'd like to use to make a mold from... create a button from polymer clay, bake it, then use that to make a button mold for the rest of the buttons.)

(button-making with polymer clay is re-e-e-ally fun!! Grin Grin)

Diane B.
GlassAttic ...polymer clay "encyclopedia"
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm

thanks Diane! those tips are awesome and very useful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

seriously? like, seriously.
janetsjunk
Crafty & Artistic Momma

Everything happens for a reason.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2005 07:07:16 PM »

That is just plain beautiful...I wish I could knit.  I can sew and crochet...never tried to knit because it looks so intimidating.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

justxlove
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2005 03:44:20 PM »

that is wayyyyyy too cute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sure shes got everything ive got gadgets and gizmos  of plenty ive got whozits and whatzits galore you want thingamabobs ive got twenty but who cares no big deal i want more
brittastik
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2005 05:51:50 PM »

Yey, it looks really neat !! Love that blue !!

Actually the pattern can be found there. I really have to add the link inside the pattern !  Wink

And btw, I just added a Gallery in my site featuring what others do with my patterns, and I'd love it if you me pics of your bag ! Like I said, it's really nice, and always cool to see other's people's variation on your own pattern..  Wink

sylvie

YAY!  I'm so happy that you found my little post, I felt so sad that I couldn't remember the link, and of course I'll send you the images!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jesus is sixteen and wants to be in movies.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Classic Chicken Chow Mein Recipe
Hong Kong Chow Mein Recipe
Simple Soy Glazed Chicken Recipe
Shrimp Tempura Recipe
How to Make Lamb and Kimchi Lettuce Wraps
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
I See London; I See France!
Meatless Monday: Zucchini Pineapple Loaf

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...